2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 9:16 AM by Laubender

GREP add checkbox

blackbasenji Level 1

Hi,

I've searched the forums and cannot find an aswer to this.

I have a table and at the beginning of every text line of every cell I want to insert a checkbox. I want to do this through find/replace rather than do it manually.

So basically, all I want to do is add a Wingding checkbox at the beginning of each line.

I have tried inserting a space, then searching for the space ^ , then repalcing it with GREP, but I don't know what to put in the "Change/to" part.

Maybe that way is wrong all together and i don't need to enter a space and replace it.

Please help.

Thanks

• 1. Re: GREP add checkbox
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That sounds like a good plan, but I think you need to do it in two steps. First find ^. and change to <space>$0, then search for ^<space> and change to the character for the checkbox and set the change format to Wingdings.

An alternative would be to copy the checkbox tot he clipboard, then find ^. and change to ~c$0 (or ~c $0 if you want a space between). ~c is the formatted contents of the clipboard.

• 2. Re: GREP add checkbox
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Or (if all paragraphs are formatted the same):

Use a separate paragraph style with a bullet list and assign that para style to the text in the table.
            The advantage is, that you can change all the bullets afterwards more easily.

I think, the alternative GREP method that Peter suggested is the better one of the two GREP solutions.

For the first GREP solution: yes, you'll need two steps.
            Otherwise you will re-format the first character of every paragraph.

Uwe