2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 10:13 AM by pooja2087

Fonts and Export to Epub in IDCS6

jaal Level 1

I have been struggling to get embedded fonts to appear on Kindle Fire and Nook HD.In order to make them work, I had to replace the encrypted fonts in the .epub file with non-encrypted ones, and delete the encryption.xml file. Now they display correctly on both devices. I have used only Adobe fonts in this book, which Adobe tells me don't require additional licensing. Do I have a problem since the fonts are now not encrypted? And if so, is there another way to get encrypted fonts to work on Kindle and Nook.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Fonts and Export to Epub in IDCS6
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Font embedding is a very confusing issue because it depends on the capabilities of the EPUB reader. I really haven't had the time to learn all the fine points.

I know that it now works correctly in InDesign CC if you're targeting iBooks, but I'm not sure it's guaranteed to work on other readers. With InDesign CS6, I believe you're using the correct workaround.

• 2. Re: Fonts and Export to Epub in IDCS6
            pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi,

As per the guiddance from NookPress Support, embedded fonts should not be in encrypted form in EPUB. So you will have to use non-encrypted fonts for these devices. The only problem is somebody easily extracting the fonts and using them without license or permission.

Regards,

Pooja