1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 9:58 AM by Peter Spier

How to bring a graphic from another doc into a frame

Sparklight2

My document involves a graphic in the same position on every page. I will be bringing in those graphics from another InDesign document, and dragging and dropping would be my method of choice. Although it would seem logical to create the graphic frame on the master page, this isn't working very well.

1. I'm finding that I have to command-shift-click to frame on every page to "open" the frame so that I can put something in it. Is there some way to tell it in the master, "This frame is here to be filled in on every page" so that it will always be open? Kind of like the Master Text Frame that is created by default, that is always open to be typed into?

2. Is there some way to target a frame when I'm dragging and dropping a graphic from another document? So that my graphic doesn't create a new frame of its own as it lands?  I can see how to do this with copy and paste, by selecting "Paste into" after right-clicking on the frame, but dragging and dropping would be nicer.

Ken

• 1. Re: How to bring a graphic from another doc into a frame
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you use the Place command you can import a graphic directly into a master frame on the document page without first overriding. Dragging from Bridge, Finder or Explorere is the equivalent of using the Place command, but dragging from another file is the equivalent of Copy/Paste.

Is this supposed to be the SAME graphic on all pages (put it on the master) or a different image in the same position on every page?