8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2013 2:48 PM by A.T. Romano

Photo size in PS Elements 9 question

Bluemuppet

I am running Premier Elements and Photoshop Elements 9

I have imported some photo files from a friend into the organiser which are 5Mb each in size.

If I try to use them in a wedding video I am producing then I get the following message

"this type of file is not supported or the required codec has not been installed"

My own photos at 2.5 Mb work in the video ok

According to "properties" both files are JPG

Anyone know what is my problem apart from not being very experienced

• 1. Re: Photo size in PS Elements 9 question
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you importing them into Premiere Elements or trying to open them in Premiere Elements?

I would very much recommend you resize any photos you use in a video project to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size.

The program will not accept photos over a certain size.

• 2. Re: Photo size in PS Elements 9 question
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bluemuppet

What is the color space of your friend's JPG photos? RGB or CMYK?

Do you get the same error message if you try to import these photos into Photoshop Elements as well as Premiere Elements?

What are the pixel dimensions, not file size, of the friend's photos?

Premiere Elements 9 will block the import of a photo having more than a given max number of total pixels and it will not support CMYK (Photoshop Elements does not support CMYK as well).

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/624979

Please review and then decide if any of that applies to your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Photo size in PS Elements 9 question
              Bluemuppet Level 1

Thanks for your prompt reply, given me some avenues to explore, just need

some time.

Will let you know what I find.

• 4. Re: Photo size in PS Elements 9 question
                Bluemuppet Level 1

Thanks for your prompt reply, given me some avenues to explore, just need

some time.

Will let you know what I find.

• 5. Re: Photo size in PS Elements 9 question
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bluemuppet

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification after you have reviewed the suggestions further and given them a try when you have the time.

Success with your projects.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Photo size in PS Elements 9 question
                    Bluemuppet Level 1

Hi

I have reduced the pixel values of the photos from the Canon 5184/3456

pixels to my own older camera at 3072/2048 pixels and I can now drop the

photos into my video.

I did the reduction in Image , them resize image and keeping the ratios

locked, changing the 5184 value to 3072 and everything else follows

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated

Bluemuppet

• 7. Re: Photo size in PS Elements 9 question
                      Bluemuppet Level 1

I have reduced the pixel values of the photos from the Canon 5184/3456

pixels to my own older camera at 3072/2048 pixels and I can now drop the

photos into my video.

I did the reduction in Image , them resize image and keeping the ratios

locked, changing the 5184 value to 3072 and everything else follows

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated

Bluemuppet

• 8. Re: Photo size in PS Elements 9 question
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bluemuppet

Thanks for the follow up with the good news that you are moving forward with your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 projects.

Remember Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application whether it is run on a 32 bit or 64 bit computer. And, as such, has the resource limitations of a 32 bit system, namely, maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3 GB or less of that are available.

Under the circumstances, the photo pixel dimensions and the classical photo pixel dimension "not to exceed" suggestions need to be considered.

SD project, 1000 x 750 pixels

HD project, 2200 x 1238 pixels

If you were dealing with Premiere Elements 11 or 12 on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, that would be another story where the classical suggestions could be stretched to a certain degree depending on your computer resources. There you would be working with Premiere Elements as a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system and would have the 64 bit system resources available to it.

But, right now you seem to have everything under control in finding what works for you. Continued success.

Thanks.

ATR