2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 2:16 PM by SJRiegel

Running Header Bug - last one doesn't show

SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a running header variable set the pick up my index numbers by character style (one for first on page, and one for last on page). It works fine throughout most of the index.

On the last page, the variable for Last instance on page fails unless I push the bottom of the text box up until the end-of-story character disappears. (before and after shown below). If it makes any difference, the character style is applied as a nested style.

I can work around this by fixing the last text box after running the index, but it seems like it should not be this way. I am wondering if there is something about my setup that is causing this, or if it's actually a bug.

Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 3.53.49 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 3.52.57 PM.pngScreen shot 2013-10-30 at 3.53.21 PM.png

• 1. Re: Running Header Bug - last one doesn't show
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Text variables can be infuriating, and it often feels like there's a bug

because something isn't showing up that should be.

However, I've found that usually it is actually working as it's supposed

to, and it's not InDesign's fault.

For instance, if you've got a running header variable based on a

character style, it's quite possible that that character style has been

applied somewhere without your realising it -- probably on some

whitespace character (could be a paragraph return, etc.)

So it may be worth doing a search for the character style that the

running header is meant to pick up to see if it's there on the page

somewhere without your realising it.

Ariel

• 2. Re: Running Header Bug - last one doesn't show
            SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A careful seach revealed no other instances of that style.

Something odd is surely going on:

Deleting the final parapgrah return does not cause the variable to appear.

But if I push the box up to hide that end-of-story marker so that the variable will show, and THEN delete the last paragraph return, the variable will stay in place when the text box is re-expanded.