11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 6:52 PM by Cal1950

Importing video files from an ext HD, Using Mac OS

Cal1950

How can I get the import function to "see" the video files I have recorded and placed on an external drive? Using Elements 12, Mac OS. The importer can see the still pictures on the drive, but not the videos.

• 1. Re: Importing video files from an ext HD, Using Mac OS
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are the videos... what is their original source?

• 2. Re: Importing video files from an ext HD, Using Mac OS
            Cal1950 Level 1

The original videos were recorded with my sony HD camcorder, each scene became a separate file in the camera's memory, and while on vacation I uploaded them all to this portable HD. Now I plug in the HD to my Mac and the import feature cannot see the videos on that drive. The videos are 60p HD quality, the extension is (I think) *.MTS.

• 4. Re: Importing video files from an ext HD, Using Mac OS
              Cal1950 Level 1

John, I appreciate the help, by the way.

My problem continues. I noted on the metadata discussion that a solution is to move the entire file onto the resident HD on my computer, and then access from there. The file name copies over to the computer hard drive, but the video files do not come with it. My Mac regards it as empty.

• 5. Re: Importing video files from an ext HD, Using Mac OS
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>move the entire file

Actually, that would be to copy the entire FOLDER from the camera to your hard drive

Even if you did not do that, you should still be able to have PE "see" MTS files

If you double click an MTS file, does it play in your Mac media player?

• 6. Re: Importing video files from an ext HD, Using Mac OS
                  Cal1950 Level 1

Well, I have in the last few minutes figured out how to import directly from my camera's hard drive. So I can get to those files now just fine. But it's the files that are stored on my external hard drive -- those cannot be seen. Neither the Mac is letting me see them when I use "explore" or "finder" (as its called with a Mac), nor can I see it when I use PE12 organizer or editor import features. It's like Mac has decided that since it cannot see the files, it's not allowing PE12 to see them either.

So... to answer your question ... when PE12 "video importer" sees my camcorder, it plays and imports clips just fine. But when my Mac is connected to the external hard drive, it cannot see those movies at all, they do not come up in any finder, so I cannot determine whether clicking on them will play the videos or not, because they do not even appear.

I can import from my camcorder's memory, but not from an external hard drive.

• 7. Re: Importing video files from an ext HD, Using Mac OS
                    Cal1950 Level 1

Oh, and to another item you mentioned -- I had misspoke... I meant that the entire FOLDER would not move over to the computer hard drive, or it would move but remain empty.

The video content is, by the way, not in a format that iMovie likes.  iMovie does not work with 60p. so one of my theories is that since it's not in a format that Mac likes, it does not even recognize the files.

• 8. Re: Importing video files from an ext HD, Using Mac OS
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Cal1950

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but I do try to keep up with the Premiere Elements Mac happenings.

From what I have read, video with the .mts file extension is not supported by Mac and needs to be converted to .mov or .mp4. Is that not correct?

But, I am not clear on the distinctions that you are making....

You wrote

Well, I have in the last few minutes figured out how to import directly from my camera's hard drive. So I can get to those files now just fine.

What files, those with .mts file extensions. And exactly where do you get those files just fine at the Mac computer hard drive level? Do you have two different considerations here files with the .mts file extension and files with the 1080p60 format or one .mts file with the 1080p60 format? From what I have read, you can import 1080p60 into a Mac computer, but after that?

How does the import of these same files in question compare with Premiere Elements Add Media

a. Files and Folders

b. Videos from Flip or Camera/Video Importer

In the Add Media dialog, Files of Type......do you have any different results if that is Supported Files or All Files?

ATR

• 9. Re: Importing video files from an ext HD, Using Mac OS
                        Cal1950 Level 1

Thank you AT,

To your questions:

• Yes, I can import the MTS files. Though the Mac does not acknowledge them, they come into my Mac HD just fine when I use PE12. They are 1080p60, and I can edit them and make a movie.
                        • I cannot use "files and folders" step in organizer or editor. It brings up an explorer or finder thing that, just like the Mac itself, does not see the files.
                        • The "camera or cardreader" import tool in the organizer uses a tool called "photo downloader" and brings up all the photos I have on the camcorder. It shows the video files, but not completely. The names of the files show, but not a playable thumbnail, just a film icon and the file name and date.
                        • In the editor itself I use the "videos from flips or camera" and it brings up a video importer. THAT works. It shows preview-able thumbnails and the file name. They come in just fine.

So my original question is still a problem. I have some files uploaded onto this external hard drive and that is not read by the Mac or by any of the options in PE12 organizer or editor. One of the options is to look for files in external drives, but it does not recognize my ext hd as a device.

Thanks.

• 10. Re: Importing video files from an ext HD, Using Mac OS
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Cal1950

What is the format of the external hard drive, FAT 32?

ATR

• 11. Re: Importing video files from an ext HD, Using Mac OS
                            Cal1950 Level 1

Yes

Sent from my iPhone