6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 11:57 AM by MarioSMIT

Audio out of sync after import.

Sylfaen1

Hello. I've been doing some game recordings with Nvidia's new ShadowPlay. The recording says it is done in "1080p @ 60 FPS with H.264". The recorder outputs into a .mp4 file. When I watch the raw footage, it is all properly synced. However, when I import it into Premiere, it is always out of sync without fail. I know very very little about the program, and have been trying to learn as I go, but I can't seem to figure out how to re-sync it. For now I've been having to cut the sound into parts and adjust the rates manually to get it to sync back up, but this is insanely tedious.

If I can give any more information, just ask for it.

• 1. Re: Audio out of sync after import.
          Dan Esp Level 1

Right click on the audio clip on the timeline and click link. Now both audio and video are separate. I would look for a place in the video with a nice cue to sync up with, something that only happens once in the video. In the film industry, if we don't have a marker on the beginning shot, we use a consonant like B T K since they are more profound. Once you find the visual section of the clip, press M to place a marker. Now find that section on the audio front. Once you find it, just drag the audio to match up with the marker and now you are synced.

If it continues to go out of sync through the video, find out if the audio is stretched. If so, then you are going to have to play around with the speed.

• 2. Re: Audio out of sync after import.
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Sylfaen1,

Sylfaen1 wrote:

When I watch the raw footage, it is all properly synced. However, when I import it into Premiere, it is always out of sync without fail.

Is it out of sync in the Source Monitor or in the Program Monitor? Both? Or are you judging sync on a broadcast monitor?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 3. Re: Audio out of sync after import.
              Sylfaen1 Level 1

I'm not entirely sure what all of these are, sorry. Source monitor is desynced. The default window in the top right corner where the clip is displayed is de-synced. Output is de-synced. I notice that the Video & audio are the same link in the timeline, but the audio cuts out early. I tried cutting out the blank audio and using the rate stretch tool, and that didn't help (not even sure if that's the right tool). I also noticed that the video in the timeline is longer than the original. I've managed to sync the start and ending using the rate stretch tool, but the middle parts are always still de-synced. It's driving me nuts.

• 4. Re: Audio out of sync after import.
                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Sylfaen1 wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what all of these are, sorry. Source monitor is desynced. The default window in the top right corner where the clip is displayed is de-synced. Output is de-synced. I notice that the Video & audio are the same link in the timeline, but the audio cuts out early. I tried cutting out the blank audio and using the rate stretch tool, and that didn't help (not even sure if that's the right tool). I also noticed that the video in the timeline is longer than the original. I've managed to sync the start and ending using the rate stretch tool, but the middle parts are always still de-synced. It's driving me nuts.

Hi Sylfaen1,

In my experience, whenever anyone captures game play there is usually some framerate anomaly in the exporting process of the host application. You say your footage is 60fps and is .mp4, I would verify that. Right-click (or control click on Mac) and choose "Properties." See if your frame rate is indeed 60fps. If it is another frame rate, or is variable, you might have sync problems in Premiere Pro.

If that is the case, you will have to transcode the video to another format with a standard frame rate. You can use Adobe Media Encoder to do that.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 5. Re: Audio out of sync after import.
                  Valius_Forta

Hey Kevin; i've been having this exact same issue and, indeed, the framerate of nvidia shadowplay is recorded at the variable framerate you get in game. When I try to edit it in premiere pro, the audio goes out of sync.

I tried your suggestion of using adobe media encoder to transcode the video to a standard framerate, however the transcoded video has out of sync audio. :/

Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

• 6. Re: Audio out of sync after import.
                    MarioSMIT Level 1

This is an issue with both Adobe Premiere and the Encoder. Both iMovie and FCPX have no issues with the video I'm having trouble this. (Render capture of New Dawn.)