7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2013 5:32 PM by Carl Sun

Installing Plugins via Terminal (Mac)

alt_2600 Level 1

I would like to be able to install plugins in Extension Manager via terminal and enable the installed plugins for a specific set of extensions (InCopy).  I have downloaded the Adobe Extension Manager Help and Tutorials document and it explains the process of installing plugins via terminal.  But when I run the install command, it actually launches Extension Manager in the console.

I want to be able to install extensions and plugins silently and even when the user is not logged in.  Is this possible and can someone point me to a document which explains the process?

Bob Reed

AARP

• 1. Re: Installing Plugins via Terminal (Mac)
          Carl Sun Level 4

Which version of Extension Manager did you want to use? The command format and capability of EM CS6 and CC are different.

• 2. Re: Installing Plugins via Terminal (Mac)
            alt_2600 Level 1

I am using Extension Manager for CS6 (on Mac) version 6.0.5.9.

• 3. Re: Installing Plugins via Terminal (Mac)
              Carl Sun Level 4

EM CS6 command line tool does launch Extension Manager in the background, although you can add -suppress parameter to hide the UI. EM CC command line tool no longer depends on EM app.

• 4. Re: Installing Plugins via Terminal (Mac)
                alt_2600 Level 1

Ok, I have found the instructions online to launch it in the background and install a plugin.  And I got to work a couple times via command line installation.  To do the testing as quickly as possible, I did the install via the command line.  Then I manually launched Extension Manager and deleted the plugin.  But now, when I try to the install using:

/Applications/Adobe\ Extension\ Manager\ CS6/Adobe\ Extension\ Manager\ CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Extension\ Manager\ CS6 -suppress -install zxp="/.temp/IMPTK4_InCopy_8.0.0.17_Mac.zxp" suppresseula="y" forallusers="y" timeout=30

it starts to do the install, I can see lots of "extracting" and "inflating" commands, then it just hangs with no error.  Here is the last couple lines I see:

inflating: /private/var/root/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/ZDR006610e6.TMP/exman_raw.zip_UNPACK/IMPT K4Connector.InDesignPlugin/Versions/Current/Resources/Info.plist 

inflating: /private/var/root/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/ZDR006610e6.TMP/exman_raw.zip_UNPACK/META -INF/signatures.xml

Then it just hangs.  Could this be a cache issue?  And if so, is there a recommended way to clear the caches?

Bob

• 5. Re: Installing Plugins via Terminal (Mac)
                  Carl Sun Level 4

I think forallusers="y" should be removed from your command. It should have nothing to do with cache.

• 6. Re: Installing Plugins via Terminal (Mac)
                    alt_2600 Level 1

I've taken out the command (forallusers="y") and the install command still hangs at "inflating: /private/var/root/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/ZDR0061d626.TMP/exman_raw.zip_UNPACK/META -INF/signatures.xml".  I am attaching two screencaptures showing the install command I am using and where the process stalls.  Any guidance you could give would be much appreciated.

Also - my coworker is working on the same issue in parallel with me using a different approach.  She is using JAMF Casper Composer (a software deployment system) to build an installation package containing the the ExMan databases and some related files from a system that already has the plugin installed.  This worked (the plugin was installed and available to InCopy, but when she launches Extension Manager and selects InCopy, none of the plugins are visible.

Bob Reed

AARPattachment1.jpgattachment2.jpg

• 7. Re: Installing Plugins via Terminal (Mac)
                      Carl Sun Level 4

For your issue, please follow http://forums.adobe.com/thread/977043?tstart=0 to generate log files and send them to exman.beijing@gmail.com.

For your coworker's issue, besides database file and plugin files, you also have to include files in EM Store folder and Mxi Flag folder.

If your extension is per-machine extension (all files in extension will be installed to per-machine location), you have to include "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CS6/Configuration/DB/ExMan.db", "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CS6/EM Store/InCopy CS6/*.*" and "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CS6/Mxi Flag/InCopy CS6/*.*"

If your extension is per-user extension (all files in extension will be installed to folder under user home), you have to include "/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CS6/Configuration/DB/ExManUser.db", "/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CS6/EM Store/InCopy CS6/*.*" and "/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CS6/Mxi Flag/InCopy CS6/*.*".

You also have to ensure all the machines have the same user name.