10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 12:49 PM by A.T. Romano

DVD Quality Issues

Jesse_Martinez(Calvary)

Hello All,

I am brand new to editing and have recently been assigned to edit sermons for my church. I receive the footage, trim, place message titles, and then create a DVD.

Here is my workflow

1. Take the video and convert to MP4 (from .ifo or .dvd)

2. Edit in Adobe Premiere Elements 12 (I call it AP12 for short)

3. Convert to MPEG and save

I do this for 3 separate sermons. Then I open a new project and COMBINE all the edited videos to make a DVD. When the DVD comes out, it looks exteremly poor. The video I edit in AP12 looks excellent until I move it in AP12 again to make the full DVD. I have tried to render and it still looks the same; grainy and low quality. How do I fix this?

My apologies if I am not detailed enough, this is all new as I mentioned.

I am on a deadline of 11/8/2013 so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jesse_Martinez(Calvary)

• 1. Re: DVD Quality Issues
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>brand new to editing

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

>Take the video and convert to MP4 (from .ifo or .dvd)

Does that mean that someone else has already edited the video and made a DVD, and you are then combining completed projects into a new project?

>Convert to MPEG and save

If you are starting from a completed DVD (which is highly compressed compared to the original camera video) and you are converting to MP4 (another compressed format) and finally to MPEG which compresses again you now have THREE levels of compression

Is there no way you can obtain the original camera video?

Ripping a VOB to edit http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322647 shows what may be a better way

• 2. Re: DVD Quality Issues
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jesse_Martinez(Calvary)

Let us approach this systematically to sort out matters.

1. What is your source media? What are their properties...such as video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio? You can get that type of information from a MediaInfo properties readout for the source media, or we can try to figure that out based on brand/model/settings used for the camera.

2. Once we know that, then you or the project set the project preset. With Premiere Elements 12, the program takes over doing that automatically. Sometimes OK, sometimes, not so OK. In this case, set the project preset yourself manually. We do that:

a. Open a new project

b. Go immediately to File Menu/New/Project

c. In the new project dialog, set the project preset which matches the properties of your source media.

d. Before exiting the new project dialog, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting On This Project".

e. Back in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, import you source media. If they are saved to the computer hard drive, then we use Add Media/Files and Folders/ to get them into Project Assets from where we drag them to the Timeline.

As you can see a lot of details to be filled in along the way to make all come together.

Do not worry about being new to this. It will all fall into place once you go through this the first time. We all are here to help. If you do not understand something that is written for you, do not hesitate to say so and ask for clarification.

Setting up of the project is very import.

How are you exporting your Timeline. Burn to DVD disc for DVD standard or DVD widescreen. Is your computer environment/Premiere Elements 12 set up for PAL or NTSC? What is the duration of your project?

If you are doing your project based on segments collected and all imported into a grand project for creation of the DVD-VIDEO, I would suggest that you save the segments as DV AVI standard or widescreen (whichever is applicable to what you have in the way of source).

Please review and then we will decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: DVD Quality Issues
              Jesse_Martinez(Calvary) Level 1

John,

My issue happens when I take all 3 videos (which I have edited and saved in AP12, also with perfect quality) and attempt to start a NEW project to make a full DVD including a menu. They lose quality as soon as they are added as media. Nothing has been done except adding the video I already edited (which looked perfect)

I appreciate your help and patience.

Jesse_Martinez(Calvary)

• 4. Re: DVD Quality Issues
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jesse_Martinez (Calvary)

There are still some missing pieces that are needed to sort through your problems.

a. You open a new project. What is the project preset of that project? Did you set it manually or did you let the program take care of that for you? If you let the program take care of that for you, then go to the Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and let us know the readout for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

b. You say that you have files that you have edited and saved in Premiere Elements 12 (assumed a project file since media for the project are copies that trace back to the hard drive save location on the computer hard drive). But, right now, I am after what you are putting on that Timeline, that is, the properties of those files...

video compression

audio compression

file extension

frame size

frame rate

pixel aspect ratio 4:3 or 16:9

If it is easier, what brand/model camera did they come from and what did you use for the camera settings? You can use a properties readout program such as Media Info for Windows to help you get that information. But, let us try the brand/model/settings of the camera route first.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on any of the information that is being requested so that we can move forward to a success resolution of the issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: DVD Quality Issues
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>all 3 videos (which I have edited and saved in AP12, also with perfect quality)

As I asked in reply #1 what is the SOURCE of the videos you edit?

Are your source files in fact from a DVD that someone has created?

• 6. Re: DVD Quality Issues
                    pgauba Adobe Employee

Hi,

What mpeg preset you have used to convert the file to MPEG?

MPEG file playback quality is ok or not, while playing on another player.

MPEG file playback quality is ok or not, after importing in Premiere elements and playing in Premiere elements

• 7. Re: DVD Quality Issues

Here is what I know

720x480

4:3

4495 kbps

• 8. Re: DVD Quality Issues
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jesse_Martinez(Calvary)

Thanks for the follow up. From your latest message, I believe that it is the description of your source media that you are importing to the Premiere Elements 12 Timeline.

720x480

4:3

4495 kbps

If that is so, then please run through (mini test run), the workflow that I suggested and let us know the results.

a. Open a new project

b. Go immediately to File Menu/New/Project

c. In the new project dialog, set the project preset NTSC DV Standard.

d. Before exiting the new project dialog, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting On This Project".

e. Back in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, import you source media with Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets from where you drag the media to the Timeline.

Next try two different exports and see what they look like.

1. Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset for NTSC Dolby DVD.

2. Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with the preset of DV NTSC Standard.

Then compare the quality of the (1) on computer player and TV DVD Player with the quality of (2) DV AVI file on the computer player.

If I have misinterpreted any of your details please let me know before you do the test so we can be in sync on the proposed workflow.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: DVD Quality Issues

Excellent excellent excellent! Thank you very much for your patience and assistance. Clear and easy to understand.

• 10. Re: DVD Quality Issues
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jesse_Martinez(Calvary)

Thanks for the follow up.

We were glad for the opportunity to be of assistance. But, if you need clarification on your Premiere Elements projects moving forward, please do not hestiate to ask.

ATR