6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 10:13 PM by dreamweaver70

Need a refresher on setting up remote server

tdcarp Level 1

I converted to a new laptop and unfortunately deleted CS5 from my old laptop before checking the remote server settings for my web sites.  I use GoDaddy for most of my sites.

Is there a link to a refresher on how to set the remote server settings?  I know where the data is entered but am not sure what to enter in some of the fields.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Need a refresher on setting up remote server
          dreamweaver70 Level 1

Assuming you re-installed Dreamweaver,(IN Dreamwweaver: MANAGE SITES) You need to define your site name--No www or .com, just the name. --Define your Root Folder on the C drive.---SERVER SETTINGS--

Server Name: GoDadddy

Connect: FTP

FTP Address (Can obtain from GoDaddy) --Port 21

Username and Passsord (Must have or get from GoDady)

Web URL: your actual web address--i.e. 'www.mysite.com'

Define as your Remote Server

I don't personally know of a way to recover your settings

• 3. Re: Need a refresher on setting up remote server
            ranisamer

i am also facing this problem with my website

this one

http://verabradleycoupons1.com/

• 4. Re: Need a refresher on setting up remote server
              tdcarp Level 1

Thanks all of you who posted.

I'll figure this out and will post back the results so others can get some help.

I use a "deluxe hosting" account with GD so I "host" multiple sites under the same hosting account.  I do have the IDs and passwords so will probably just need the FTP address.

• 5. Re: Need a refresher on setting up remote server
                tdcarp Level 1

So, I got things to work and re-learned along the way.

A couple things I needed to adjust:

DW CS5 has the "Use FTP Performance Optimization" checked and does not have "Use Passive FTP" checked.  These are accessed in the More Options at the bottom of the server settings window.

In the case of my accounts at GD, the settings need to be just the opposite (i.e. uncheck Use FTP Performance Optimization" and check Use Passive FTP.  I don't understand these settings enough to say that they would be right for any host, but for GD, they work.

The other learning is the Root Directory.  For those who have one hosting account and one domain, this field can be left blank.  In my case, I use deluxe hosting which means I have multiple domains in the same hosting account.  That means the Root Directory field is used to specify the folder in the hosting account where to root directory is located.  As an example, one of the host areas I have is called "atlas" and is one folder down from my hosting account.  Therefore I have to specify "/atlas" in the Root Directory field.

As I set up each remote server for each host (domain), I need to specify the folder for that contains the remote host root directory.  The net will be that every site defined in DW will use exactly the same data EXCEPT the root directory and the URL name.

Hope this helps any who might have problems.

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Need a refresher on setting up remote server
                  dreamweaver70 Level 1

That sound spretty right/ from what I recall--GD does use Passive FTP I think.

As you know you do have to make sure your site IS DEFINED in Your local root directory (C Drive), must be defined for your site(S).

Good info