25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2013 1:19 PM by robert desbiens RSS

creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

robert desbiens

to my reckoning, pdf has recently introduced yellow highlighting as well as a comments feature in its pdf format, which is a welcome addition.  HOWEVER, a major MAJOR omission is the lack of text referencing (with corresponding labels) which is available with MsWord but not exportable when converting file to pdf.  when it comes to certain forms of e-book publishing, this text labelling feature is a powerful tool that, so far, has not been incorporated into any of the e-book publishing formats.  This is truly unfortunate however, the good news is that Acrobat has gone a certain distance in allowing for text highlighting (yellow shading) but not 'textmarking' (as opposed to page bookmarking per se).  I would STRONGLY recommend ACROBAT to get on this case and allow for a export of such editing features from Word to pdf as par of the standard file conversion process.  If anyone has a comment, please forward directly to my e-mail rpdesbiens@gmail as I am not up to these types of discussion forums....

• 1. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature
          Bill@VT CommunityMVP

I will let others address the bookmarking in Acrobat that can be done. However, it is a simple matter to transfer the bookmarks from WORD also by using PDF Maker (the Acrobat menu in WORD). That should do what you need, unless your WORD and Acrobat are not compatible.

• 2. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature
            robert desbiens Community Member

Bill

Thanks for your reply.  My version of Word does not have a PDF feature

embedded in the menu but leaving that issue aside, if Acrobat (PDF maker)

doesn't currently have what I refer to as a textmark feature (separate from

a 'pagemark' which is equivalent to what is commonly referred to as

bookmark by PDF),  I don't see how the Word-based bookmark (complete with

individual labelling of each designated 'bookmark' which is in fact more

akin to a textmark) can be faithfully transposed over to PDF maker.  I will

verify this tomorrow at a computer centre, but logically, I can't see how

your suggestion could work...

Would appreciate hearing back from you.  thanks and regards

• 3. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature
              try67 CommunityMVP

Highlighting text and adding comments has been a part of Acrobat (and Reader) for many years now... It's not a recent addition at all, although recently the option to do it in Reader was greatly improved by removing the need to apply special rights to the file in Acrobat before-hand.

Regarding "textmarking": It is possible, to some extent. If you select some text (using the Text Selection Tool) and press Ctrl+B, a new bookmark will be created, with the selected text as its name, pointing to the exact location of the text on the page. True, the text will not be highlighted when you click the bookmark, but it's close enough, I would think.

If you really want the text to be highlighted it could probably be achieved with a script, by the way.

• 4. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

thanks for your comment.  When it comes to your suggestion about

textmarking, exactly which Acrobat software version allows one to carry out

the bookmark creation.  When attempting to bookmark a section of text using

the freeware version of Acrobat Reader, nothing happens when pressing Ctrl

+ B.  Are you referring to Acrobat Pro?  Were this to be the case, how can

a internet user who downloads a file containing these purported textmarks

activate their use by using the freeware version of Acrobat Reader.  there

is likewise no such feature available in Acrobat Digital Editions (freeware

version).  So, there seems to be a disconnect between the apparent ability

to bookmark a text using whatever Acrobat software and the lack of such an

option in the Reader menu....

• 5. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

correction..  Bookmarking can in fact be carried out in ADE. But as of yet,

I can't replicate this feature in the freeware of Reader....

[ private information removed - see http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3731 ]

• 6. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature
                    Dave Merchant CommunityMVP

robert - please stop quoting the original message when replying by email.

see http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3731

• 7. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature
                      try67 CommunityMVP

Reader can't add bookmarks of any type. You need to use Acrobat to do it.

• 8. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature
                        Test Screen Name CommunityMVP

Reader is not able to do this, but if you pay for Acrobat it can. This is not a bug.

• 9. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature
                          try67 CommunityMVP

Were this to be the case, how can

a internet user who downloads a file containing these purported textmarks

activate their use by using the freeware version of Acrobat Reader.

I just want to clarify that you can use bookmarks in Reader (ie, click on them and have the file jump to where they're pointing), but you can't create them in there. The two things are very different.

• 10. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

Through the various replies I have been getting and as a result of some

trial and error on my part I have come to the following observation (feel

free to comment or correct as the case may be)

1)  With Reader one can indeed highlight and insert so-called sticky notes

into a pre-existing pdf document but inserting bookmarks is not possible

(don't ask me why...).  On the other hand, inserting bookmarks (via a

yellow shading of text)* is* possible using Adobe Digital Editions (which

is another reader software for a certain type of e-book) .  But, in

reality, the latter feature is a bit quirky because, when the highlighted

text is duly -bookmarked- there is an automatic caption that crops up to

the left column alongside the text column with mention of the first line of

the highlighted text (along with an additional option to provide a

'comment' which appears underneath the first line of the bookmark 'bullet'

).  I have yet to witness a pdf document already incorporating -bookmarks-

using freeware Reader as a reading tool, so I cannot comment as to how it

would appear, indeed how this feature could be accessed in Reader.  If

anyone can send an innocuous sample pdf text that contains several of these

bookmarks already incorporated, I would appreciate.  Curiously though, the

freeware Reader doesn't have any mention of bookmarks in the menu (unless

perhaps that option only shows up if the pdf document already contains

bookmarks)

2) It would appear that any bookmarks already embedded in a Word text would

not-not be transposed into a pdf equivalent during the file conversion

process.  This leaves only the possibility of manually (re) inserting the

same bookmarks using PDF maker or whatever other Acrobat software (other

than Reader).

3) Not having had the occasion to review any pdf document already

incorporating bookmarks in its set-up, I can only tentatively assume that

the visual format that obtains in any such file is not much different from

the visual format appearing in Adobe Digitial Editions.  Were this to be

the case, the feature is neither user-friendly nor reader friendly,

especially in comparison with the MsWord equivalent.  For example, if one

is dealing with a large document in which up to several hundred

bookmarks(in fact labeled textmarks) are inserted thoughout the text, the

profileration of yellow shaded passages (as per the aforesaid ADE example)

are (automatically) 'bookmarked' with a first line (with an additional

option of providing  a so-called comment - more akin to a 'label', using

Word terminology), this would end up being totally unwieldy and

impractical.  Ms Word-based bookmarks, on the other hand, have to be

prepared manually and are not automatically generated by any text colour

shading, and there is no automatic referencing of the bookmark by recourse

to the first line of the bookmarked text.  On the other hand, labelling of

the text is mandatory for the bookmarking process to be duly registered and

saved.  This makes for easy navigation within the bookmark window where

labels can be found either alphabetically *or *in the sequence in which

they appear in the body of the document text.  Instead of grey or other

color shading of the bookmarked text, there is an (optional)  feature in

Word that allows 'hatchet' marks to delimit the beginning and end of each

and every bookmarked text.  This makes it easy to navigate throughout the

document text, where one can also activate the review pane in order to

check on the virtual comments appearing in the margins (with pointers to

the text)  , in tandem with the bookmarked 'hatchets'.  In addition, bona

fide color shaded text rounds out the picture.

To Word's credit, text shading, bookmarking and virtual (ie. non text-body)

comments are kept distinct and separate.  In ADE (and I suspect also in

Acrobat) text shading is conflated with bookmarking whereas I clearly

prefer to have bookmarking and text shading (highlighting in common

parlance) as separate and distinct features,as is the case in Word. When

one is guided to the bookmarked text proper by clicking on the

corresponding bookmark label, the navigation pane to the left of the text

in Word jumps towards the corresponding chapter or sub-chapter heading that

is duly cross-referenced using the TOC or similar indexing feature.

Moreover, the bookmarked text within the document proper is virtually

highlighted in the body of the Word text but is left otherwise unformatted

in regular unhighlighted mode when one clicks once again anywhere within

the bookmarked text proper.  Which results in a reader-friendly uncluttered

display in Word whereas I fail to see any similar synchronisation in ADE

between the bookmarked text and its corresponding chapter referencing.

That is, one has the option of clicking on the window that reveals the TOC

or the bookmark ones in the case of ADE, but they don't appear

synchronized per se.  In any case, if one is dealing with a fairly small

number of bookmarks within a document, that is perhaps not much of a

problem, but the same does not hold true for works of literature running

into a thousand or more pages in length where numerous bookmarks are on

display....

Conclusion:  there is needless complexity in the interplay between

Acrobat text treatment (using pdf maker or whatever) and the corresponding

Reader software in that certain editing features are accessible through

Reader whereas others (notably bookmarking) are not.  Incorporation of

numberous bookmarks in a pdf document would generate a 'riot' of  color

shaded passages *assuming that this occurs in pdf text preparation similar

to what obtains for ADE file format).  Cross-referencing of labelled

bookmarks bearing similar alphabetically-designated themes - but not

appearing in sequence - within the document (eg. Victoria's physical

features, Victoria's betrayal of her best friend, etc...) would seem to be

impossible to effectuate in the Acrobat format.  To scroll through several

hundred bookmark labels (comments)  (containing also the first line of the

bookmarked text to boot) as per the ADE visual format is simply not

digestible.   As things stand now, it would not appear that the end product

of a pdf generated text would lend itslef to text treatment and analysis on

par with what Word already offers...

This means that the digital book properties of the PDF format leave much to

be desired.  Mind you, one is no further ahead with either epub or Kindle

software.

• 11. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

I'm not sure I follow your distinction about the type of bookmark, but countless millions of PDFs include bookmarks, and they are made automatically by PDFMaker from Word styles (not Word bookmarks).

Visbility of bookmarks is controlled from the View menu and the tabs running

down the left hand side in both Acrobat and Reader. The creator of a PDF decides if they are visible initially.

Here is just one example.

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdfmark_reference.pdf

• 12. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature
                                try67 CommunityMVP

I think your conclusions are completely wrong. You haven't even looked at a PDF with bookmarks in it, you say, so how can you claim that it's "not on par with what Word already offers"? That's just incorrect. You need to understand that Reader is just that, a READER. It can't edit or create PDF files. The only thing it can do is view them and (in some cases) make comments on them. That's it.

Digital Editions is a whole other thing entirely.

If you want to assess what can be done with PDF files you need to get Acrobat. There's a free 30-day trial version you can install and use. Once you do that you'll see that converting Word bookmarks to PDF ones is very easy, using the PDF Maker plugin for Word, and that bookmarks in a PDF can be moved around, edited, removed, added, etc. in Acrobat.

Until you do that you're just talking without any experience or knowledge on the subject, I'm afraid.

• 13. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

I will check out the full edition of Acrobat, more to the point, I will

endeavour to have this conversion process carried by someone in the

document editing business well versed on the topic to sort it all out.  It

would have been appreciated had you or others in the forum state baldly

from the outset the 'how to' in terms of 'converting' Word bookmarks to

PDF with the PDF Maker plugin.  By the way, is that plugin 'plugged in'

(available) inside Word (for conversion over to PDF along with the Word

created bookmarks), or is the plug-in 'plugged into' Acrobat to somehow

re-create the bookmarks that are already found within the Word document?

FYI, if you make the claim that Digital Editions is a whole other thing,

let me inform you that, so far, of all the e-books I have downloaded from

Amazon or Penguin, every single one of them is downloaded using DE and not

Acrobat Reader.   I don't spend my life on working out the niceties between

this or that e-book reader software: I'm in the business of document

writing, not sifting through all the software items on the market to

compare the differences between this or that document editing feature when

Word is the premier and universal software for document writing and when a

cursory look at Reader makes no mention whatsoever of bookmarks,

irrespective of whether any given pdf file contains them or not.   Some

other comment mentions that 'millions' of pdf files have bookmarks in them,

yet I have yet to come across one single pdf file the contains that feature

(and I'm not exactly a low-volume reader) and no Reader I have used draws

reference to bookmarks.  Doesn't that strike you as a bit odd if, all the

while, the plug in feature in PDF Maker apparently takes care of all of

that (which I sincerely hope is the case)...

And unfortunately, I don't live in a high tech city like NYC or LA where

computer techies abound to sift through all this maze.  But thanks in the

end for making it all clear....

--

Robert Desbiens

• 14. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

It would have been appreciated had you or others in the forum state baldly

from the outset the 'how to' in terms of 'converting' Word bookmarks to

PDF with the PDF Maker plugin.

The assumption, perhaps wrong, is that anyone with Acrobat will already be using this method to make PDFs. There are many ways to use it, from Word, from Acrobat, and from Windows. The biggest control is in Word where you can set options about which Word styles become bookmarks. In all cases, no matter how you start it, Word is used to make the PDF in conjunction with the Acrobat add-in.

I don't spend my life on working out the niceties between this or that e-book reader software:

Yes, but we do. If you don't know the difference, we can help you, but your experiences don't turn one into the other, or make them interchangeable. There are many PDF readers, some made by Adobe, and some made by other people. They don't all have the same features, so we do need to know which one you mean.

Some

other comment mentions that 'millions' of pdf files have bookmarks in them,

yet I have yet to come across one single pdf file the contains that feature

Yes, I mentioned that AND suggested a file to you. Did you take a look? If you don't see the bookmarks, what app is active when you are viewing the file?

• 15. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

Ok thanks for the quick reply.  To be honest, I am not 'in the mood' to

'discover' the plug in feature as I have more pressing issues to attend,

but now that you make it clear that it is possible, I will forward this

stuff, including the sample file you provided, over to an professional

involved in document preparation to see if he or she can arrive at the Holy

Grail...  It will be a challenging undertaking however, since the Word

document in question contains some 640 bookmarked passages in total, in

addition to some 300 or so yellow highlighted passages and over 70

comments.

I always equated a pdf format to Adobe whereas you say that others also

create or generates pdf formats..  One learns something new every day.....

• 16. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

is this document available in Spanish?... I'm living in Colombia and some

of  the techies out here are not versant enough in English to follow the

text...

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdfmark_

reference.pdf<http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdfmark_reference.pdf>

Thanks and regards

--

Robert Desbiens

• 17. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

There is absolutely no reason for you or your technies to read this document (unless they wanted to). I simply gave it as an example of a ready made document (one of millions) which had bookmarks already in it, since you did not seem to be familiar with what they look like.

• 18. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

There is absolutely no reason for you or your technies to read this

document (unless they wanted to). I simply gave it as an example of a ready

made document (one of millions) which had bookmarks already in it, since

you did not seem to be familiar with what they look like.

we're sort of back to square one....  I now realize that the document was

meant as a sample of bookmark  rather than as a manual which contains

instructions as to how to create a bookmark (although there is a section as

such devoted to bookmarks which I scanned diagonally..).  Once again, I

bring to your attention that the concept behind bookmarks (as per your text

sample) resembles more a pagemark to which there is a text blurb

corresponding to the subject material of the labeled bookmark.  But, unlike

Word (and even Adobe Digital Editions) there is no specific pegging of the

beggining or  end of the text blurb that specifically corresponds to the

bookmark label.  In my Word document, a bookmark (textmark) can be either

two lines or several pages in length with a clearly defined beginning and

ending (with no permanent text shading within the document itself, just

shading of the text within the bookmark mode, if you follow me).

It is a step forward but the problem lies with the absence of specific

textmarking, your bookmark simply points to the page containing the subject

heading.   In a literature text with very few chapter headings and the

like, the bookmark has to pinpoint *the specific text that is being

'textmarked' and labeled*.  I don't see that feature in Acrobat.....

• 19. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature
                                              try67 CommunityMVP

A bookmark can point to any specific location on a page, not just to the page as a whole. It can even contain information about the zoom level at which that location should be displayed when clicked.

A bookmark in a PDF is basically a button. When clicked it can execute a certain action, such as "Go to place X on page Y with zoom level Z", or "Open the web-page: http://www.adobe.com", or "Run the following JavaScript code...", etc. It can do many such actions, or none at all. In that sense it is far more advanced than Word bookmarks.

Also, the fact that a bookmark points to a piece of text on the page which is also the bookmark's name is not a must. It can have a completely different name to what it's pointing to.

• 20. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

You are correct that a bookmark is only a link, and not coupled with highlighting. Your suggested "textmark" sounds interesting, but is not what bookmarks do. (And this would require a change to the PDF standard too).

• 21. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

>

Also, the fact that a bookmark points to a piece of text on the page which

is also the bookmark's name is not a must. It can have a completely

different name to what it's pointing to.

Ok we're getting close.  The big 'hic' is to create a 'textmark' for text

which runs several pages in length and for which there is no discontinuity

or thematic-subject boundary (for lack of a better way of putting it) of

the bookmarked passage within the overall section of document (ie. there is

no ensuing chapter heading at the end of the bookmarked text passage to

signify to the reader that the textmark has 'logically' come to an end).

I am not saying that Word is superior to Adobe (or vice-versa), what

I* am*saying is that the Word version of labelled bookmarks has the

advantage

(from my perspective) of specifically *delimiting *the text, regardless of

the length of the latter, (without having to color shade the text, as what

happens for example when you create the bookmark within Digital Editions).

Curiously enough, when dabbling with Digital Editions (which I presume is

also an Adobe product), you can even create a bookmark using the 'reader'

of the ADE, however, it is a bit cumbersome insofar as one has to highlight

the passage (color shading) and the view page (navigation page) then

automatically generates the first words in the bookmarked text line and

offers you to insert a comment (which is really tantamount to a labeling of

the bookmark but which appears below the first line).   But, in the end,

you get the 'textmark' you want (albeit via a shaded passage of the text),

as opposed to a page-oriented bookmark (notwithstanding your comment above)

which, to my reckoning, is what Acobat is offering - even if it allows for

a bookmark to point to a specific piece of text on the page (ie. it jumps

to the beginiing of the text but, so far as I can gather, doesn't delimit

the text proper..

--

Robert Desbiens

CONSULTEC

Sustainable Urban Transport Systems

• 22. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature
                                                    try67 CommunityMVP

I don't know how many times we can say it... PDF bookmarks do not point to text AT ALL. They point to a specific point in the document. That's it.

• 23. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

I don't know how many times we can say it... PDF bookmarks do not point to

text AT ALL. They point to a specific point in the document. That's it.

Great!!!! we're finally on the same page....  To what extent can we talk

about ADE rather than PDF.  I think the prospects are more promising in

that direction.  Does your unit cover ADE as well?   If not, can you please

forward this thread to the attention of someone who does within Acrobat?

--

Robert Desbiens

• 24. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature
                                                        try67 CommunityMVP

I don't know what you mean by "unit"... You realize you're talking to fellow users, right? We're not Adobe employees, unless otherwise mentioned.

There's a separate forum here about Digital Editions. Post any questions you have about that application there.

• 25. Re: creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

I don't know what you mean by "unit"... You realize you're talking to

fellow users, right? We're not Adobe employees, unless otherwise mentioned.

Well I'll be damned....  Judging by the somewhat defensive nature of some

of the previous replies, especially in defending pdf qualities in

comparison with Word, I could have sworn that I was dealing with Adobe

staff,  even though I was aware that the forum was open to both employees

as well as outsiders..   Though I appreciate your kind efforts, in the end,

I just wish that one could write an e-mail directly to Adobe Technical

Support to get to the bottom of these issues.

Over and out......