5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 5:45 PM by A.T. Romano

Question regarding Adobe Premiere elements 12

DrtraumaTy

Hiya!

Recently I have asked if my TOSHIBA Laptop would be able to run Adobe premiere elements 11, and was told there may be some hiccups with the program.

Now what about Elements 12?

I am currently directing machinima using the Elgato Game Capture Card, and my voice actors send their lines with .WAV files. I would like to be able to use other files for my machinima. Would Elements 12 be able to handle other files? I am primarily wanting to use Adobe Primere elements 12 because of its reasonable price and I have heard its easy to use for first-timers (with good effects as well).

My computer specs;

-Running on Windows 7 Home Prenium.

-Processor; AMD Phenom(tm) II P940 Quad-Core Processor (1.70GHz)

-REM; 4GB (3.75 usable)

-64-bit OS

I will gladly take reccomendations if this software is believed to not be suitable for machinima. I am looking for movie editors below 120$ (US).

• 1. Re: Question regarding Adobe Premiere elements 12
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Perhaps download the Trial version and see if it works for you.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_elements&loc=us

You can use it for free for 30 days until you must buy it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Question regarding Adobe Premiere elements 12
            DrtraumaTy Level 1

Thank you John for the link!

My first notice was that my preview and full screen on the trial application is very laggy when trying to play a video, I have rendered it, but does not seem to work (unless I am misunderstanding the render button).

The file I used was an MP4 Video (.mp4) video.

With the said video, I added a .WAV file and one of the forest soundtracks the program provided. I have tried with only a video and the same thing happens.

Is there any fix to this?

• 3. Re: Question regarding Adobe Premiere elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

DrtraumaTy

You wrote

I am primarily wanting to use Adobe Primere elements 12 because of its reasonable price and I have heard its easy to use for first-timers (with good effects as well).

Premiere Elements 11 and 12 are same with the exceptions of a few miscellaneous features. The easy to use for first-timers quote probably came from the new Expert Guided or Quick Guided workspaces which are available rather than just Expert or Quick workspace.

Where are you now? Do you have the tryout of 12 installed on your TOSHIBA laptop with Windows 7 64 bit? I would expect the same file handling for 11 and 12 in your computer environment. Or are you still working with version 11?

Just what are the properties of these files that you want to import/edit/export using Premiere Elements 11 or 12 on Windows 7 64 bit? I am looking for video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, duration. If you do not know, then check for those properties using MediaInfo, or we could try figuring out that information from the brand/model/settings for the camera from which the source media come.

Another important aspect of all this is the project setup so that the project preset (project settings) match the properties of the source media. In versions 11 and 12, the program takes over that job, sometimes OK, sometimes, not so OK. Best set the project preset manually with File Menu/New/Project (with Force Selected Project Setting On this Project selected) before you import your media from Expert workspace Project Assets to the Timeline.

Please review the above and then we can decide what to do next to meet your goals.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Question regarding Adobe Premiere elements 12
                DrtraumaTy Level 1

Hello!

Usually I would have to import more than ten clips just to create one scene for my machinima. These clips are usually .MP4's; which is converted after recording using the game capturing software; going to about 30 frames/second. Some clips could be about thirty seconds to three minutes long (when I used the demo version, the clip was about 30 seconds long).

When using the demo, the single clip I imported was 44.8 MB with a duration of 27 seconds. The data rate is 13691kbps, with audio bit rate of 227kbps. After importation, the preview screen would still lag despite rendering.

I have yet to import .WAV files for audio.

• 5. Re: Question regarding Adobe Premiere elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

DrtraurmaTy

Thanks for the additional information.

What is the frame size and frame rate of those video imports. Are you dealing with progressive or interlaced frame rates?

That type of information would help us to make sure that the project settings selected are to your project's advantage.

Are you dealing with 640 x 480 4:3, 1280 x 720 16:9, 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, 1920 x 1080 16:9 or other?

You should be on good ground with .wav files. Although I have not had any problems with .mp3, many prefer .wav audio.

We will watch for further information and developments.

Thanks.

ATR