I ran across an interesting situation at work, using Indesign CS4 on a Mac in an ActiveDirectory environment (network users). Every time Indesign was saving the layout file, the last graphic element placed on the layout lost the link to the original file. We change every single component in this scenario (parameter ram, Indesign prefs, new hardware, OS upgrade from 10.6 all the way up to 10.8, deleted the user and created a new one, ...) until we noticed a font problem with the universal type client deamon. The solution was pretty simple - we deleted all the font-management stuff and did a clean install of the universal type client. Et voilà, Indesign worked like charm… maybe someone can make use of my time-consuming experience
Thank you. I'm pretty sure there was another thread about losing links last year, and it also turned out to be Suitcase.