8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 5:04 AM by skiwrinkley

Can you play a trimmed clip in Preview window

skiwrinkley

Using Elements 11. When you have trimmed a clip in Preview Window, i.e. set the "in" and 'out" points, is it possible to play that trimmed clip in the window to see what you have achieved? I know that you can drag the cursor to the "in" point, but is there no way of simply playing just the in-to-out bit?

• 1. Re: Can you play a trimmed clip in Preview window
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Since you have posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, which is a repository for how to do things in Premiere, and not seen by most folk, I will Move your post to the main PrE Forum. There, many others will see your question, and can respond with helpful input.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can you play a trimmed clip in Preview window
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, when one loads a Clip into the Source Monitor, by Dbl-clicking on that Clip to open the Source Monitor, and then sets the In & Out Points, the Source Monitor will still play the full Clip. The In & Out Points will only be used, when one drags that Clip from the Source Monitor to the Timeline. There, only the material, between the In & Out Points will be used, and displayed.

Hope that helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can you play a trimmed clip in Preview window
              A.T. Romano Level 7

skiwrinkley

As per what you have found and Hunt has mentioned, you cannot play just the trim in the Preview Windows. And, you cannot play back just that trim as a Project Assets subclip in Preview Window.

In Hunt's reply to you, he wrote the following about the trim dragged from the Preview Window to the Timeline

There, only the material, between the In & Out Points will be used, and displayed.

I just wanted to make sure that we are all perfectly clear and in agreement on what is being said there with regard to "....and displayed".

a. Only the trim on the Timeline will be displayed in the Edit Mode monitor if one plays back the trim from that Timeline level.

b. But, if you double click the trim on the Timeline opening the Preview Window, you will not get viewing of just that trim in the Preview Window.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can you play a trimmed clip in Preview window
                skiwrinkley Level 1

Thanks for the reply, which means "no". I have just converted from another program(me) which allowed me to play the slected part in the preview screen before dragging the edited clip to the timeline. A simple click for 'Play in-to-out'. Just a quick way of seeing what you have achieved. Anyway, now I know there is no point in looking further for this ability, as it just ain't there.

• 5. Re: Can you play a trimmed clip in Preview window
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

skiwrinkley

I take back what I have implied, that is, cannot be done. It can.

Check this out.

In Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, go to Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization/Application and the Help catagory of choices at the bottom. Look for "Play In to Out". It probably will not have a keyboard shortcut assigned to it yet. I "borrowed" W from another command.

It worked. Preview Window opened with trim (from SetIn SetOut points). Hit W and only the trim will play back in the Preview Window.

See if that worked for you as it just did for me.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can you play a trimmed clip in Preview window
                    skiwrinkley Level 1

That is GREAT. My one remaining brain cell had just not seen how to go about it.

So, if you go to 'Help' / Customizing Shortcuts  it will tell you how to set up a new shortcut with a new Keyboard name. I chose '[' (open square bracket) and allocated that to Play In to Out, and it works a treat. I didn't chose 'W' as that is already "Go to Out".

I also did not realise that Shift+space will play from In to Out with a pre-roll and post-roll.

Simples! I could kick myself, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• 7. Re: Can you play a trimmed clip in Preview window
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

skiwrinkley

Just to make sure we are in sync on the path....

In the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, go to the Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization. Under Keyboard Customization, there are two major categories, one for named Application and the other Windows. You want the Application category.

Under Application, there are subcategories. You want the one named Help. Under Help, there are several Command, some with keyboard shortcuts already assisted and other with no keyboard shortcut yet. I borrowed one of the keyboard shortcut that was being used by another command that I never use. It was W.

From what you wrote in your latest post, I was uncertain whether you detoured to the Premiere Elements 11 Help Menu/ for the start instead of the Edit Menu.

Glad you asked about this. This was very interesting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Can you play a trimmed clip in Preview window
                        skiwrinkley Level 1

Just to be clear, may I confirm that I looked first at PE11 Help, as this detailed how to Customize the keyboard. Then I went to Expert Viiew/Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization to put it into practice. So easy when you know how !

I used the 'Application' category as I am using Mac, not Windows.

Here's to happy editing. Thanks.