13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2013 8:11 AM by Peter Spier

yearbook

swiggityswaggitytwerk

im in yearbook and for the profiles we're doing we need the text to be behind the persons face like this. but we cant figure out how to have the background still there without sending the text all the way to the back. please helpp!!

evan-peters-quicksilver-278372327.jpg

• 1. Re: yearbook
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That sort of thing is usually done in Photoshop. You can do it in ID if the image has separate layers for the face and background, though, by using object layer options to hide the background on a second copy of the image that you place in front of the text. Do that using Copy/Paste in Place.

• 2. Re: yearbook
            kbechtle116 Level 1

One way that I have found works is to open your image in photoshop. Draw a rectangular selection just around the head of the person. Then right click on the selection and do a "layer via copy". You can then typeset your headline and place the type layer between the two image layers. Then using the eraser tool remove parts of the image on the top layer to reveal the copy below. Use different sizes and feathered brushes along with selections to remove the areas.

• 3. Re: yearbook
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You'll need cut the silhouette out in Photoshop and save it with a

transparent background.

The fact that you're asking tells me that I need to warn you that this

is not a beginner project but it's gotten much easier in recent versions

of Photoshop.

• 4. Re: yearbook
                vectorbabe Level 1

This is not a simple project if you've got lots of these to do

Sent from my iPhone

So pardon the brevi

• 5. Re: yearbook
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

David Blatner did a tutorial about this at InDesignSecrets.com not long ago that may be helpful:

http://indesignsecrets.com/image-sandwich-putting-image-front-text.php

• 6. Re: yearbook
                    MW Design Level 4

David's article that Steve links to is how the procedure is done. With hair, it starts getting more time consuming. But you can do it with just a little perservence.

Do begin with a high resolution image. A low res image like the example you posted is far more difficult.

capture-000666.png

Here the lady was from a separate file, the background in her file was busy (not a green screen).

capture-000667.png

If you get stuck, the best place for aid is in the PhotoShop forum (assuming you are going to use PhotoShop.

Mike

• 7. Re: yearbook
                      Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mike is correct. You want to use Photoshop CS6 or CC if possible and the Refine Edge dialog box. The Refine tools in that dialog box are a godsend for people make selections with hair. Try to find a tutorial to show you how it works. For example, Lesa Snider describes it well in the excellent book, "Photoshop CC: The Missing Manual."

• 8. Re: yearbook
                        MW Design Level 4

I forgot to clarify something. The technique was as per kbechtle116 in post #2 in that I first selected around the head, copy and pasted into a new layer. Then the hair was masked, refine edge as per Steve in post #7. Then the background of the "head" copy was deleted.

The old text was removed via duplicating one area onto the text on the first layer. New text was added. Same goes for the issue number.

New text was added.

This was the process for both your example and the lady's image I posted. The house was a background image, the lady had her background removed and the layer with her in it was dragged into the house image, she was resized to fit, etc.

The point of posting that image with the lady is that the image with her was high resolution. The higher the resolution, the finer detail you can both preserve (her wispy hair) and remove (the original background behind her).

• 9. Re: yearbook

I don't see any advantage to deleting the background behind the head, but maybe I misunderstood you.

• 10. Re: yearbook
                            MW Design Level 4

Sorry Peter. I likely confused things pulling in and talking about a similar job to the example image the OP used. So I am unsure which image and my babble you are referring to...

In the OP's image, the areas around the guy's head, where the text is, wasn't delete on layer 1. It was duplicated to mask the text, pulling in the bits from between the text to cover the text. I did do this into the hair area, but most of the head on layer 1 is there.

However, once the head was duplicated to a new layer (layer 2), it leaves the background in between strands of hair. That portion of the background was masked and removed so it didn't show on layer 2.

In the example of the lady I used, her image was a stock photo on a different background from the image of the house where she ended up. Both her and the house were from different images, composited for a new purpose.

• 11. Re: yearbook

But if you move the lady to a new layer, as you did with the young man, you really only need to remove visibility of the background layer. Personally, I'm loathe to delete layers that might be useful in some other context, and especially when it means I need to save a new file to be sure I don't lose the content permanently.

• 12. Re: yearbook
                                MW Design Level 4

It's probably miscommunication on my part. Sorry.

The lady is a stock photo with an entirely different background. She needed to be put on top of another image, the interior house shot. (a transparent panel and type was added, etc.)

Now, I could have duplicated the layer the lady was on, cut her out, hidden the original background layer, imported the house image and arranged the layer with the cutout lady on top of the new house layer. Yep, could have done that.

But as both JPG source files ended up in a new, layered file with a new name. The original stock photos of the lady and of the house were never harmed in the making of the composite <g>.

Screen shot of the final composite.

capture-000672.png

• 13. Re: yearbook

OK. I'll buy that. I'd have dragged my lady cutout into the house, but otherwise the same.

I thought you were also delting background behind the two figures after adding them as new layers, so that's my misunderstanding.