10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 9:56 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere elements movie

air traffic controller

I made a movie,(video), with still pix and video with Premiere Elements 10, it is too big to write to a DVD, how can I make it usable to play on a TV?

• 1. Re: Premiere elements movie
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has several links on Sharing to various kinds of files

But... what have you done that you know your movie won't write to a DVD?

A one hour video will easily fit on a DVD, and two hours on a dual layer DVD

• 2. Re: Premiere elements movie
            air traffic controller Level 1

Premiere elements movie

Hi John,

I checked the "Properties" and it says it is over 9GB, and I assume that the 4.7 GB DVD won't hold it; or am I not looking at it in the right way.  I'm not any kind of an expert so maybe I'm not doing this right.   My video is just under an hour in length. Thanks for your help.   Norbert

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:25:01 -0700

To: enstyer@msn.com

Subject: Premiere elements movie

Re: Premiere elements movie

created by John T Smith in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has several links on Sharing to various kinds of files

But... what have you done that you know your movie won't write to a DVD?

A one hour video will easily fit on a DVD, and two hours on a dual layer DVD

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5805183#5805183

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5805183#5805183

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5805183#5805183. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 3. Re: Premiere elements movie
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Norbert,

First, let's look at the total Duration of your Project's Timeline. How long is it?

When one Encodes a Timeline to MPEG-2 DVD (the required format/CODEC for DVD-Video), there is compression involved. Depending on the Duration, that might, or might not fit on a DVD-5 blank disc (4.7GB disc). Knowing your Duration will give us an idea of whether it will likely fit. If not, there are options to get your Project to DVD-Video, but before we go into those options, knowing the Duration will be the first step.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere elements movie
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>My video is just under an hour in length

>says it is over 9GB, and I assume that the 4.7 GB DVD won't hold it

The average "original" video file is 12-to-13 Gig per hour... that video is then COMPRESSED during DVD authoring down to about 4 Gig per hour

Go to the link I provided and click the links about Sharing... especially the one about Sharing to DVD

Your "under an hour" video should easily fit on a single layer DVD... as long as you follow the tutorial instructions

• 5. Re: Premiere elements movie
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Norbert

One way to gauge your situation in a quick and effective way is, with Timeline content edited, menus in place, etc., advance to Share/Disc/DVD disc.

With your DVD 4.7 GB/120 min in the DVD burner tray, look at what its says in the Premiere Elements 10 burn dialog Quality Area for Space Required and Bitrate (with and without a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"). You want to be working with that check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space". Remember, in reality that 4.7 GB label represents only 4.38 GB.

If your player supports it, you could consider burning to a DVD 8.5 GB/240 min (aka double layer single sided disc). In reality, that 8.5 GB is 7.95 GB).

We will be watching for your results, and my have addition questions based on your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere elements movie
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

Thanks for pointing out that Duration. I had missed that - jet lag?

With a Duration of < 1 hour, there should be no issue compressing (Transcoding/Encoding) that Timeline to MPEG-DVD, to fit onto a DVD-5 blank disc, at high quality.

That can be easily tested by doing a Burn to Folder on the computer's HDD, to see exactly what the total size is for the VIDEO_TS folder w/ the necessary files.

Good luck to the OP.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere elements movie
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

What is the problem with just looking at the burn to disc Quality area's Space Required and Bitrate before hitting burn?

That would seem to me to be the quickest way to gauge the situation.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere elements movie
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

One could do that too.

The one benefit that I find with Burn to Folder is that I can then test that VIDEO_TS folder in a DVD software player, before committing to a blank disc. I use that as my first level of testing (for space required, plus my "level 1" tests), then will burn a DVD-RW for additional testing, before finally producing my deliverable DVD-Video, using high-quality media, but not RW - that is but for my testing only.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere elements movie
                          air traffic controller Level 1

Hi Bill,

I got my video done and on one DVD.  Thanks a lot to you and all that responded to me.  I really appreciate it.   Norbert

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 11:30:32 -0700

To: enstyer@msn.com

Subject: Premiere elements movie

Re: Premiere elements movie

created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

ATR,

One could do that too.

The one benefit that I find with Burn to Folder is that I can then test that VIDEO_TS folder in a DVD software player, before committing to a blank disc. I use that as my first level of testing (for space required, plus my "level 1" tests), then will burn a DVD-RW for additional testing, before finally producing my deliverable DVD-Video, using high-quality media, but not RW - that is but for my testing only.

Hunt

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5807348#5807348

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5807348#5807348

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5807348#5807348. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 10. Re: Premiere elements movie
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Norbert

Thanks for the follow up.

Glad that everything turned out well for you. Hope all enjoy your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you any further questions on your Premiere Elements workflow.

ATR