7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 4:33 PM by A.T. Romano

Saving WIP

igguhs

Bulding video multiple clips ex camera and other sources, all will be edited down, then re-assembled.

As I edit each clip ex camera into good segments...I need to save them

HOW DO I SAVE WIP?????

Sounds so idiotic but can't find out HOW to save those edits, and maintain them.

Could take days - weeks to finish project. 

• 1. Re: Saving WIP
          A.T. Romano Level 7

igguhs

If you are working on the principle of working on a large project in smaller segments, we need to start by knowing

a. the properties of your source media

b. the intended final export choice

Example if you have a lot of SD video that you are trimming, you may want to save the trims as DV AVI standard or DV AVI widescreen to be taken into a grand DV Standard or DV Widescreen export for the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Example if you have a lot of HD video that you are trimming, you may want to save the trims as .m2t with the properties of the grand project into which they will be imported for a final export.

Details will help define the path to what you seek.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Saving WIP
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has several links about different sharing options... including to computer files

• 3. Re: Saving WIP
              igguhs Level 1

(ATR thanks a mill for fast reply!)

a.  MP4 HD for all incoming material...so far as I know its all 1080 - have no idea how to id that since more used to jpg psd etc where quality is so easily id'd.

b.  MP4 HD as final export choice...probly to wmv as well.

My rather naive assumption is I'll end up with a jigsaw of clips, and then piece the best together.   I anticipate rather a lot of clips - which I will gradually grade/discard as the build process continues.

Sorry but not sure what SD video is, this is just standard HD MP4 out of a camcorder.

I definitely want to retain quality since its border line as it is.

IF I save to .m2t, or DV AVI, should I do this with all incoming material, convert before importing.

And where do I do that.

Sorry - this is a new world I'm taking on and am still not au fait with lingo.

No idea where to do that.

• 4. Re: Saving WIP
                igguhs Level 1

Thanks, but sharing is not my concept of saving...or perhaps it is!   I went to link but couldn't relate it to my (as I see them) needs.

And sharing is saving, then am not sure of best format for saving without quality loss.

As in photos in raw or psd before dumbing down to jpg.

I need to save all 'elements' of WIP as they are developed so I can come back to project as it builds...

• 5. Re: Saving WIP
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

igguhs

Let me give you a few examples and then we can fine tune from there....

For the examples, I am going to assume a NTSC setup

Let us say that these "MP4 HD - all 1080" are AVCHD 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second.

And you want to work on each video clip in a different project and then combine all in a grand project.

You might do well to do them all at one time and consider a workflow similar to what is described in the blog post

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

But, if that is not what you want...

1. Import each video into its own project, one set up with a project preset of

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

2. When you get to export, Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

3. Compile all these individual AVCHD.mp4 edited files into one folder.

4. After all are created, import then into a new DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97 project and export to your choice under Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD

I could cite you all sorts of combinations here, but I suggest the following key concepts...

a. Your project preset should match the properties of your source media so that you get the appropriate corresponding space in the Edit Mode monitor for editing purposes

b. Keep the properties of these export segments the same and bring them into a master project whose project preset matches their properties.

If you give more specifics, we can fine tune these general comments even further.

Video undergoes degration on re-encoding. DV AVI format probably undergoes less than others. But DV AVI is a SD way. You are talking HD. If you cannot do everything in one project, then I would not convert, import, export, import, and then finally export in a grand project for further export. Lots of re-encoding going on that way. I do not believe you are escaping any re-encoding along the line.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Saving WIP
                    igguhs Level 1

thanks ATR

Blimey!   I'll need to focus on this. And trace where it takes place.  Will check blog link.

BTW had option to shoot AVCHD but dumped since Pixelar download would not happen.   Way simpler with MP4.

Yup, figured video would degrade, similar pix, too many saves.   And quality fragile as it is.

I'll be back tomorrow.    My homework project will keep me busy...

ciao g'nite

• 7. Re: Saving WIP
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

igguhs

We will work this out.

Looking forward to your follow up when you have the time. Remember, never too many details.

ATR