15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 8:46 AM by Danny__1952

Cannot open JPEG files in PE9

Phaint

Cannot open JPEG files in PE9 "because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found"

• 1. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
          Barbara B. Level 7

Have you by any chance used a forbidden character like a dot or a slash in the file name? Does this happen with all jpegs or only with certain ones?

• 2. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
            Phaint Level 1

I can open any file that does not end in JPEG, ie: psd or whatever. There

is a dot before the suffix (.JPEG)

• 3. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
              Barbara B. Level 7

Okay, now I'm confused. Your post title and the body of your first post say that you can't open JPEG files and now you san that you can't anything that isn't a jpeg. So sorry, but can you clarify exactly what is happening and also which version of your operating system?

• 4. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
                Phaint Level 1

Barbara,

I am using a Mac Air OS 10.6.8 system. I have Photoshop Elements 9

installed. Among my files that end in ".psd" or "_edited", those I am able

to open. If the file ends in ".JPEG" or .JPG" I am unable to open, even

though I created the file in PE9.

Thanks, Paul

• 5. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
                  Barbara B. Level 7

Thanks. Can you open these files in Preview?

• 6. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
                    Phaint Level 1

Yes, they open in Preview

• 7. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
                      Barbara B. Level 7

Try resaving one in preview and then opening it in PSE. Does it work then?

• 8. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
                        Phaint Level 1

Thank you Barbara, the file will open in PE after being resaved in Preview,

however all layers are lost. I guess the more important question is why

JPEG files created and saved in PE won't re-open? Thanks - Paul

• 9. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
                          Barbara B. Level 7

No jpeg file can have layers, ever. I think the problem may be something in your work flow if you think you are able to create jpgs with layers. Please explain exactly how you are saving these files and give an example of how you are naming them.

• 10. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
                            Phaint Level 1

Again thank you for the information Barbara. Typically I build files in

Photoshop format, starting with an an imported scan or iphoto,  then adding

layers. Sometimes I composite  by importing selected bits of other files.

When I go to save the resulting file I add a title like "Fish 2", it wants

to default into a JPEG file and there is a JPEG marker on the end of the

saved file even when I select Photoshop format.

• 11. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
                              Barbara B. Level 7

it wants

to default into a JPEG file and there is a JPEG marker on the end of the

saved file even when I select Photoshop format.

I would really like to see a screenshot of the save as window, since any time you have a layered file PSE fights you every step of the way and makes you save as a copy when you choose jpeg as the format.

• 12. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
                                Phaint Level 1

Some of the layers in my files have ".JPG" appendages I am finding. If I

edit out the appendage before saving it seems I can re-open the

multilayered file intact with all layers. I guess I just have to be more

careful how I save files. Thanks Barbara

• 13. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
                                  Danny__1952

How could Adobe keep that problem going on. I'm with Photoshop 7 and I get the same message from time to time with picture I collected on the web and merged (one in front, the other as the background). I save it many times after each important modification and I opened them without trouble, but then, after changing the colour of a little part of the picture and saving it, I could not open it anymore (error message: "invalid or incorrect jpeg marker"). Why? Five minutes sooner, it opened. Now it doesn't even though I changed almost nothing to the previous version.

Is there someone who knows what to do, because I tried everything I could think, I tried to open it with many other software, change the extension (using all the possible file ext. of PS), cut/past it in Word, try open it in Chrome, try to open it with a software to recover damaged files,... Nothing worked!!! And what does PS programmers during this time to fix a problem that existed for years?  Nothing!!!

• 14. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
                                    MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

with picture I collected on the web

No wonder.

Many files you find on web have an incorrect format, especially in the way they record metadata (exif). The pixels data may be correct but the format is not. Some 'basic' image editors will not even look at those metadata an be able to display the image, but serious editors won't.

A common solution is to find a basic editor which will be able to open the files and save them without the metadata.

I save it many times after each important modification and I opened them without trouble, but then, after changing the colour of a little part of the picture and saving it, I could not open it anymore (error message: "invalid or incorrect jpeg marker")

Is it the above common problem or another very specific problem? You say 'Photoshop 7', is it rather 'Photoshop Elements 7'? In both cases, those are very old versions and it is unlikely that anybody else will be able to reproduce the issue. Can you open the latest version of your edits and use 'save for web' after adding the color corrections? That removes the exif data; would that help?

• 15. Re: Cannot open JPEG files in PE9
                                      Danny__1952 Level 1

I tried to open it in Paint Shop and many other software without more success. I think that next time, I'll save for the Web, as you said, just to be sure not to get this problem again.

Anyway, thank you to try helping me.

(Note that I'm a French Canadian, so if you find strange words, sentences,..., it's because I'm still learning English.)