3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2006 7:05 AM by Newsgroup_User

Setting up new site: deciding on html, asp, php, etc

milo2man
      I am setting up a new site using DW8 and am baffled by the various options for page formats: html, asp, jsp, php, etc. as well as the various server models offered: PHP-MySQL, ASP-VBScript, etc. How do I decide in the midst of all this choice?

The new site will need to run JavaScript and perhaps VBScript behaviors, will have some Server Side Includes, should be easily scalable and editable by people with little knowledge of Web development. The site MAY need a database connection, although this is not sure at the moment.

So my questions are:
      How does one go about deciding on what format to use?
      Can I change the format for the site once it has been developed?
      Are there compatibility, security, accessibility issues with any of the formats?

Can anyone point me to resources outlining the pros and contras of each format?

Thanks,
      Miloman
        • 1. Re: Setting up new site: deciding on html, asp, php, etc
          Level 7
          milo2man wrote:
          > The new site will need to run JavaScript and perhaps VBScript behaviors, will
          > have some Server Side Includes, should be easily scalable and editable by
          > people with little knowledge of Web development.

JavaScript is controlled by the browser. Client-side VBScript runs only
          on Internet Explorer. Server-side VBScript runs only on a Windows
          server. Server side includes depend on the server setup.

If you want a site to be easily editable by people with little knowledge
          of web development, you a creating a recipe for disaster. Consider using
          a program like Contribute, which restricts what inexperienced people can
          update.

> How does one go about deciding on what format to use?

PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, JSP, and ColdFusion all do pretty much the same
          thing. The first thing to do is to find out what your server supports.
          The first three are the most popular, but ASP is no longer being
          actively developed. So, if you want future-proofing, choose PHP or
          ASP.NET. Of those two, PHP is easier to learn. ColdFusion is also easy
          to learn, but is less widely supported.

> Can I change the format for the site once it has been developed?

No.

> Are there compatibility, security, accessibility issues with any of the
          > formats?

Not really. The main security issue lies in bad coding, which can affect
          any of the server-side languages.

--
          David Powers
          Adobe Community Expert
          Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
          http://foundationphp.com/
          • 2. Re: Setting up new site: deciding on html, asp, php, etc
            milo2man Level 1
            David, thanks for the detailed answers!

>JavaScript is controlled by the browser. Client-side VBScript runs only
            >on Internet Explorer. Server-side VBScript runs only on a Windows
            >server. Server side includes depend on the server setup.

So that means if I develop a site that includes SSIs to VBScript pages, it will only work on a Windows Server and with IE ? I currently have this setup to populate the left navigation tree menus. The content pages have an include statement to .vbs page containing the data for the menus as well as includes to .js pages which build the menus (the JavaScript is from the MX Tree Menu extension from InterAKT).

>If you want a site to be easily editable by people with little knowledge
            >of web development, you a creating a recipe for disaster. Consider using
            >a program like Contribute, which restricts what inexperienced people can
            >update.

I planned to develop the site using DW8 and then recommend Contribute as the tool for content authors/publishers. Are there any problems with developing the site in DW and then using Contribute to update content?

>PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, JSP, and ColdFusion all do pretty much the same
            >thing. The first thing to do is to find out what your server supports.
            >The first three are the most popular, but ASP is no longer being
            >actively developed. So, if you want future-proofing, choose PHP or
            >ASP.NET. Of those two, PHP is easier to learn. ColdFusion is also easy
            >to learn, but is less widely supported.

So it looks like PHP is the best choice for my situation. The tutorials section of your Web site is "coming soon." Can you point me to some good, basic tutorials on PHP? I know nothing about it, and only have experience with html using JavaScript.

Thanks,
            Miloman

• 3. Re: Setting up new site: deciding on html, asp, php, etc
              Level 7
              milo2man wrote:
              > So that means if I develop a site that includes SSIs to VBScript pages, it
              > will only work on a Windows Server and with IE ? I currently have this setup to
              > populate the left navigation tree menus. The content pages have an include
              > statement to .vbs page containing the data for the menus

If the VBScript is parsed on the server, your site should work in all
              browsers, but you need to check that your navigation is working correctly.

> Are there any problems with developing the
              > site in DW and then using Contribute to update content?

To the best of my knowledge, no. However, I have never used Contribute,
              so I'm not the best person to ask.

> So it looks like PHP is the best choice for my situation. The tutorials
              > section of your Web site is "coming soon." Can you point me to some good, basic
              > tutorials on PHP?

"Coming soon" is rather like "tomorrow" (or manana). I hope to get round
              to them some time, but goodness knows when that will be. ;)

There's a simple tutorial in the PHP online documentation:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/tutorial.php

To use PHP with Dreamweaver, take a look at my "Foundation PHP for
              Dreamweaver 8". It assumes no prior knowledge of PHP, and is
              specifically focussed on using it with Dreamweaver.

--
              David Powers
              Adobe Community Expert
              Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
              http://foundationphp.com/