29 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 10:56 AM by Kevin-Monahan Branched to a new discussion.

"Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit

tavstudio

First visit here, and hoping someone can help...

Following Creative Cloud updating my installation of After Effects to v12.1.0.168 today, I now have a frustrating dialogue box that pops up every time I quit... any ideas? This wasn't happening before AE was updated, and happens even if I have no other applications running. My system is a fairly standard mid-2011 iMac – 3.4GHz i7, 16GB RAM with AMD Radeon HD6970 2GB – and I'm currently still running OS X 10.8.5.

One other new issue is that if I double-click a project file in the Finder to launch After Effects, the project doesn't actually open, only the application.

I've tried rebooting, repairing permissions and also downloaded the 12.1 updater and re-installed just in case there was an issue with the CC download, but all to no avail

ae_onquit,png.png

• 1. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This memory message on quit is an innocuous bug. It isn't actually telling you anything useful, but it also isn't hurting anything. It's just happening because After Effects is doing an unnecessary check for memory available for rendering during its shutdown process. Sorry for the confusion. We'll fix this in the next update, coming soon.

• 3. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
            Stephen Barrante Level 1

Happenning to me as well since upgrading to 12.1.0.168.

• 4. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The After Effects CC (12.2) update fixes this.

Let us know how it works for you after you've installed the update.

• 5. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                tavstudio Level 1

Thanks Todd – looks like the latest update has solved both issues, at least for me... no more innocuous pop-up on quiting AE, and I can launch projects directly from the Finder again too

• 6. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                  jescopost

This update 12.2 has not fixed my problem.  I am getting the errors that the above message was giving.  I also get an allocation memory error (4) 25 :: 182.  Sometimes (3) 25:: 182.

• 7. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                    pkoneoneone

I am getting similar errors when rendering. "Unable to allocate .002 MB" of memory. Updating to 12.2 has not fixed the problem. Please offer any suggestions as this is popping up during renders and stopping them. I then have to force quit out of AE.

(Windows 7)

Thanks.

• 8. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                      Daniel Keiling Level 1

Hi Todd,

same here. Installed the latest update yesterday (now 12.2.1.5) and it won´t quit showing these errors. It´s not only "Text Engine Data" but f. e. "Standard 3D - camera data" or even more cryptic stuff like "CORp_BIBAlloc", followed by "Unknown Bravo Error".

This doesn´t happen when I quit, but as result of any single try to prerender.

• 9. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                        pkoneoneone Level 1

Some futher info, I am running AE 12.2 on 2 machines. I can render the exact same composition and do not get the error on one of them and I do get the error on another.

ERROR SHOWS UP

win 7 home premium

Dell XPS L502X

8 G RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 525

NO ERROR MESSAGE

win 7 home premium

Dell XPS L521X

16 G RAM

GeForce GT 640M

• 10. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                          Bryonhdm

Hi All,

I have the same error running version 12.2.1.5

I wanted to add in that the 1080p render will give this error for me, but low resolutions make it through.

My exact error message was  75::5, .246MB, and (12803 / shadow map vertices) if I remember correctly.

Will continue watching this thread and will add if I find anything out.

• 11. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                            pkoneoneone Level 1

Hi

I seemed to have solved this problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled AE CC, but more importantly I updated the NVIDIA drivers on the machine that was getting errors. I have not gotten these errors since the changes.

Thanks

• 12. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                              pkoneoneone Level 1

Update: I am still occasionally getting these "unable to allocate" errors...

• 13. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                LauriAaltio Level 1

And the problems stays as stated in 2014. 13.1 version...

I have newest version of AE and  :

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2,5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B07

SMC Version (system): 2.19f7

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 2048 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0fe9

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3776

gMux Version: 4.0.8 [3.2.8]

• 14. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                  NordicFilmworks Level 1

I'm now having this problem since I updated to latest After Effects.  I'm unable to render some of my complex composites.

MacPro; Yosemite; D500

• 15. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                    LauriAaltio Level 1

What to do? Adobe should have some responsibility on this matter! this message comes again and again and completely prevents me from using the program!

• 16. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                      JGHC

Same problem here, AE 13.0.2 MacPro6,1 (cylinder) with 16GB ram WTF.

• 17. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                        NordicFilmworks Level 1

Ya Adobe is being completely silent as usual... utter pathetic.

• 18. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                          NordicFilmworks Level 1

BUG over 1 year old.  Not fixed by Adobe.  Lovely Todd, our community representative, is not relaying bugs to development team.  1 year old is a serious breach in customer respect by Adobe.

• 19. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See the posts toward the end of this thread about a memory issue in Mac OS, not in After Effects:

Re: After Effects 13.1.3 Is Constantly Giving The Error: "Needs 2 or more frames for playback"

• 20. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                              tonycomley

I'm having this problem on the following setup a year and half after your apparent fix. I'm using:

Surface Pro 3, i7, 8gb ram

After Effects CC 13.7.1.6

Windows 10 Pro, latest updates as of 23/03/2016

I tried the support chat but the guy (B Vidya Sagar) just blamed the Surface Pro 3 because it is; "just a downgraded version of a PC".

The .aep is heavy (180mb) but it works fine on a 2010 i5 MacBook Pro with 4gb of ram.

In any case Adobe seems to have a policy of blaming others. Earlier in this thread they blame OSX memory management. I'm really tearing my hair out here. I'm giving my money to a company that refuses to look into problems with its own software.

This is shameful behaviour from a market leader.

• 21. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                                tonycomley Level 1

Update:

Adobe twice blamed it on my RAM and told me it was not their fault. When I proved that RAM is not the issue (That project uses 2gb of an available 6.4) I was advised to use CC 2104 instead.

So I downloaded CC 2014 and the project worked fine there (except multiprocessing prevented me from rendering or RAM previewing, until I turned it off).

Consensus from fellow customers seems to be that CC2015 is extremely buggy. In fact the work computers at my office run CC2015 and they all have severe problems previewing.

I don't like having to persuade tech support to help me. It should be their job to look into the problem, but instead they blame the customer before they've even investigated the issue.

• 22. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

tonycomley wrote:

I don't like having to persuade tech support to help me. It should be their job to look into the problem, but instead they blame the customer before they've even investigated the issue.

Not to be an apologist for Adobe, but you'd be surly too if you had to deal with the landslide of trouble calls surrounding this version.  You'd think they'd admit it was bad job poorly done, but no.  At least Honda sucked it up and issued a massive recall for bad air bags.  The parts for my air bag recall arrive this summer, and until then I'm being a VERY cautious driver.

Just think of AE CC 2015 as the Takata Air Bag of the software world and things fall into perspective.

• 23. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                                    tonycomley Level 1

That's the crazy thing. Why don't they just tell their support staff to begin by recommending CC 2014? All I got was immediate blame. I was told that an i7 with 8gb of RAM is too weak for even a simple After Effects project (My project contains no 3d, no ray tracing, no 3rd party stuff and no expressions even). When I proved that the system was under no strain the guy stopped replying. What's odd is that this behaviour just escalates the problem and makes their job ultimately harder. It's like dealing with a bloody Estate Agent.

• 24. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                                      tonycomley Level 1

...and it's far from the only problem (Forgive the rant. I'm on a combination of caffeine and self aggrandisement). Issues with CC 2015 so far:

- Preview pane often doesn't update. Have to re-launch AE
                                                      - About a third of renders fail (Standard HD, H.264, 25 fps. No 3rd party stuff etc.)

- Generally much slower, which seems to be a feature of every update. It's gutting to spend £1,700 every two years for a computer powerful enough to keep up with AE's yearly slow-down.

• 25. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Tony,

I have looked at your project via my colleagues in support. Thank you!

Adobe twice blamed it on my RAM

Yes, you're right. It doesn't have anything to do with RAM. Though slightly underpowered, there's nothing really "wrong" with your computer. Standard compositions should pose no issue. Sorry for the misdiagnosis.

The problem you are having has to do with this specific project, its many elements, and the stress many, many multi-layered pre comps can put on your computer's memory in a composition.

My evaluation is that the project is working better with 13.2 on this system because multiprocessing can alleviate the memory needs that all your pre-comps are putting on main comps in this large project. Since multiprocessing is currently unavailable in 13.7.1, it's true, you are likely better off using 13.2 in this case.

Adding multiprocessing capability back into the application will make After Effects function better with this kind of project in the future. Currently, multiprocessing is not included in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7.1). We hope to add back an even better way to handle multi-processing in the future, but right now, it's just not there. For that, I apologize.

Please let the After Effects team know how this affects your workflow negatively and that you would like to have the application's ability to use multiprocessing capabilities once more. Do so here.

Very sorry for your negative experience with support. That wasn't too swift. I also am sorry that it took so long to get back to you personally. It's been an exceedingly busy time as a good number of our staff had been on leave this past week. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Kevin

• 26. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                                          tonycomley Level 1

My evaluation is that the project is working better with 13.2 on this "somewhat underpowered" (yet fully in spec!) system because multiprocessing can alleviate the memory needs that all your pre-comps are putting on main comps in this large project. Since multiprocessing is currently unavailable in 13.7.1, it's true, you are likely better off using 13.2 in this case.

I turned Multiprocessing off in CC 2014 because it was preventing RAM previews and renders. (see attached screengrab) Once I did this the project worked fine, So therefore multiprocessing cannot be a factor here.

I specified this very clearly in the thread but you must have skimmed past it. Again you have misdiagnosed and passed the buck. Please look into this properly.

multi.JPG

• 27. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit

Hi Tony,

Again you have misdiagnosed and passed the buck. Please look into this properly.

Sorry if I misunderstood and was not specific enough. I thought you meant that you turned off multiprocessing only for previewing and rendering, not while working with these comps.

Keep in mind that it is not easy troubleshooting issues without access to your computer. We try our best in comprehending and understanding every situation, but that doesn't always happen since we're not in the same room.

Regardless of that, memory handling in general is completely different between these two applications. We have seen the same error with other customers that are using comps with dozens of pre comps as you are.   This is especially notable in older AE template projects going around where precomping is rather overused.

That said, your style of comping with lots and lots of pre comps is too taxing regarding memory handling in After Effects 13.7.1. We hope this will be alleviated when the complete overhaul regarding memory handling is complete.

This is our fault and we are doing our best in this regard. Based on customer feedback, over a year ago we announced that we are completely overhauling the application for performance enhancements and we are currently not through with that task. This may entail certain anomalies with some projects.

Unfortunately, after discussing this issue with engineering there is not much we can do to help with this particular project. Please continue to work with version 13.2 with this project and projects like it.

If you have time, please file a bug. You may have hit a specific issue that will help others with this issue in the future. We will continue to inspect your project and analyze the issue more closely.

Kevin

• 28. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit
                                                              tonycomley Level 1

It's so strange dealing with you guys. I believe you're trying to fulfil

your role but please try to understand why I'm not satisfied:

Keep in mind that it is not easy troubleshooting issues without access to

your computer. We try our best in comprehending and understanding every

situation, but that doesn't always happen since we're not in the same room.

You didn't troubleshoot. You could have said "It might be multiprocessing,

let's find out". Instead you said that it IS multiprocessing and asserted

that there was nothing else you can do. When the diagnosis was proved wrong

you blamed my project, saying that "dozens of precomps" are too much

for 3.7.

That said, your style of comping with lots and lots of pre comps is too taxing regarding memory handling in After Effects 13.7.1.

Again... The project works flawlessly in CC2014 and uses a modest amount

of RAM (2.1gb of an available 6.4gb) and the CPU is at 4% in both 2014 and

2015 (See below), so what kind of memory is it supposedly maxing

out? I want your answer on that.

02.png

...over a year ago we announced that we are completely overhauling the application for performance enhancements and we are currently not through

with that task

Unfortunately, after discussing this issue with engineering there is notmuch we can do to help with this particular project. Please continue to

work with version 13.2 with this project and projects like it.

So that's it? you twice misdiagnose my issue then blame the project

file then say "bye"?

You've admitted CC2015 has major issues and a major feature of CC2014

(multiprocessing) doesn't work either. I've had to deliver this

project late to the client, so I demand 3 months refund in compensation.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 2:44 AM, Kevin-Monahan <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 29. Re: "Unable to allocate memory" popup on Quit

Hi Tony,

Sorry for your issue and your lack of satisfaction with my efforts. I can ask engineering to provide a deeper explanation as to why your project won't work well in 13.7.1 and why it does work in 13.2, but that may take some time. Thanks for your patience.

For refunds of any kind, you'll need to Contact Customer Care

Thanks,
                                                                Kevin