9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 7:45 AM by ECBowen

hardware for live streaming, need help

naumen Level 1

Hello

hope i am not out of topic....

My friend asked me to help him with his studio, some kind of internet tv on his website, he wants to stream video live from 4 cams same time , and so that all 4 cams could be connected to 1 PC!

Camcorders that are going to be used :

1. Budget solution : we can use any old miniDV camcorder (4 of them) like Panasonic NV-DS65 for example.....  that kind of camcorders have IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.LINK) that could be used for capturing and streaming. or we could use its analog cords. but still i have not seen a unit/card that can capture from 4 cams same time

2. Not budget solution: We can use any HDMI modern camcorder (4 of them ) like Panasonic HC-X920 for example and use its HDMI to capture video, but again i could not find a capture card/ or unit that can capture from 4 cams same time. i have not seen more then 2 connections on 1 card

if u have any idea plz share i with me.

Regards

• 1. Re: hardware for live streaming, need help
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

There are 2 1 card options but both are SDI. The Matrox VS4 and the Blackamgic Quad card would give you 4 input channels on 1 card. In order to run 4 separate channels of HDMI, you would have to run 4 HDMI cards such as 4x Blackmagic mini recorders. Now did you need to mix the 4 cameras or output all 4 on the web simultaneously?

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: hardware for live streaming, need help
            naumen Level 1

Thanks for the replay! yes he wants to mix 4 cameras, as i understand it can be done over the softwere , or we need some kind of mixer? cams will have fixed positions and he want an operator sitting at pc mixing cams....

sdi its a problem.... there are no semi pro cams or in other words not expansive cams with SDI....., maybe i could use HDMI/SDI Converter for each cam?

Regards

• 3. Re: hardware for live streaming, need help

Yes you could use SDI to HDMI converters but it sounds like a Blackmagic Atem TV Studio would fix your needs. I would suggest that since you are mixing the cams versus Broadcasting all 4.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: hardware for live streaming, need help
                naumen Level 1

ups seems like Blackamgic Quad card - is no good,- its says 2 in and 2 out .... so its only good for 2 cams , if i understand it correctly...

seems like The Matrox VS4 - is more usefull, but only works with its own soft (over 1000$ extra.)? is it right?

about Atem studio ..... is that what u r talking about? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766072-REG/Blackmagic_Design_SWATEMTVSTU_ATEM_Televi sion_Studio_Production.html

• 5. Re: hardware for live streaming, need help

No I have 1 of the Quad cards here for testing. You get 4 channels on input and output. The Matrox VS4 only gives you 4 channels in.

Yes that is the Atem TV studio.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: hardware for live streaming, need help
                    naumen Level 1

ok seems like this is the quad card u r talking about, the connections kind fo looks strange on image... is it standart one?

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/bmd_decklink-quad

do u use your quad for broadcast? does it come with the soft that could be used for mixing?

About atem TV - i just read the comments on BH about it and seems like most guys are sayng that its not working very well with HDMI... , i would try it, but as i understood it connects to PC over Internet port? and the pc that is going to be used has just 1 internet port.... not sure how to connect that beast to pc...

what is the cheapest hdmi to sdi connector? 1 hdmi to 1 sdi , or 4 hdmi to 4 sdi...?

• 7. Re: hardware for live streaming, need help

Those are Mini-SDI ports that use a BNC to Din cable such as this BNC Female to DIN 1.0/2.3 RG59.

Yes that is the Quad card. I use our Quad card for testing which has included Wirecast testing and the Atem series. The Quad does not come with any Mixing Internet broadcast software. That you would have to add. Wirecast Pro is the current standard for that.

The Atem connects and works fine with HDMi. I have used both SDI and HDMI without issue. You just have to set the cameras and Atem correctly to match. The Atem will not allow you to mix incoming resolutions. The input resolutions need to match. You simply run the Atem's to a switch and then the control system to the switch on the network. That will give you access to the Internet and the Atem. Gefen might hae some cheaper options but the Blackmagic HDMi to SDI converters are normally cheap enough for this. However you really don't need those for the Atem.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: hardware for live streaming, need help
                        naumen Level 1

thank your for your time and info that u provided, it is very helpfull! i dont think i would figure it out my self!

what about that Atem does it come with the soft i need? on BH at "In Box" its says that there is some kind of soft included! would be great if its mixing soft...

seems like i am ready to pull a triger on that Atem! looks like its best option. could you plz tell a little more about connecting to pc. here is how network is in the office:

we have fiber optic cord coming inside that office , its connected to Modem. then we have a Router that is connected to that Modem. PC is connected to Router.

could u explain again about what kind of switcher i should use and where it shoud be connected..... its a very dark area for us....

how power the PC should be? if all the codding going on inside that Atem, then maybe it could be connected to any pc .... maybe even to a laptom...

we will get 4 identical consumer camcorders with HDMI .... so that the signal would be the same

Regards

• 9. Re: hardware for live streaming, need help

Yes the Atem mixing software is included and the monitoring is off the Multiview out on the Atems. You would just need to set the streaming up on the acquisition system which can also be the control system if it's decent. You just want a standard 5 port or 8 port Gbit switch to plug into your router instead of the system. Then run the Atem and the systems to the switch. If your router has built in switch ports then you can just run the Atem and the system into the Router switch ports.

Eric

ADK