15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2013 9:44 AM by John Mensinger RSS

Aligning page numbers

fm3126

I have created Master pages where the page numbering is done.

When I look on screen, the page numbering looks great!  Nicely aligned.

However, when I go to print my booklet, the page numbering is up and down and there is no rhyme or reason.  No indication that it is just one Master.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Aligning page numbers
          John Mensinger CommunityMVP

You may have to provide a bit more detail for anyone to get a clear picture.

fm3126 wrote:

...when I go to print my booklet, the page numbering is up and down and there is no rhyme or reason.

That seems to suggest the page numbers are "all over," but it's likely you're seeing a few mm variance spread to spread on laser-printed output, (the print method is one of the details you left out). If my assumption is correct, it's a printer issue, not an InDesign issue. Freestanding, sheet-fed printers simply aren't precise enough in terms of page-registration to guarantee perfect alignment, especially if the spreads are duplexed.

• 2. Re: Aligning page numbers
            Eugene Tyson CommunityMVP

Have you tried putting your text frames for the page numbering on a layer above everything else in the Layers Panel

Also in the Text Frame options can you set them to Ignore Text Wraps

• 3. Re: Aligning page numbers
              fm3126 Community Member

The page numbering is definitely noticeable as you flick through the booklet.

I'm using a copier to print these booklets...not sure if this helps, but the booklets are printed on letter size paper and then I cut them in half as they are half the size of letter once completed.

I've even attempted to PDF the document before printing, and I can visually see the page numbers moving up and down as I scroll through the pages.

I am still learning InDesign...so I will attempt to put the text frame for the page numbering on a layer above everything else.

• 4. Re: Aligning page numbers

Okay, so when you export to PDF and scroll through the pages on-screen, you see a variance in the page number positions...(?)

Does your document have left and right (facing) master pages? If so, have you verified that the page numbers are at the same vertical coordinates on both, and that the two text frames containing them are identical in terms text inset, first baseline position, etc.?

• 5. Re: Aligning page numbers
                  fm3126 Community Member

yes, when I export to PDF I see a variance in the page number positions.

I have the page numbering centered.  I don't have them on one opposite sides of the page...would that make a difference?

I have made sure for each Master that the page number box is exactly in the same position...as what I did, was create the first Master and then copied and pasted into place for the rest of the Masters.  I hope that makes sense. 

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Aligning page numbers
                    P Spier CommunityMVP

Does it go away if you select the frames on the master pages and openthe text frame options, then check the box to ignore text wrap?

• 7. Re: Aligning page numbers
                      fm3126 Community Member

Ok, I created a separate layer for the page numbers in the master files....and I also went into the master pages text frame options and checked the box to ignore text wrap.

I printed and I'm still having the issue.

This really can't be this complicated can it?

Does InDesign CARE if you center the page numbers on the pages?  Or does it HAVE to be on the outer edges?

• 8. Re: Aligning page numbers

fm3126 wrote:

I printed and I'm still having the issue.

Okay, but as I pointed out initially, you could see this on printed output through no fault of InDesign. It's a mechanical issue.

This really can't be this complicated can it?

It's not supposed to be. We're missing something. Have you exported to PDF and rechecked on-screen?

Does InDesign CARE if you center the page numbers on the pages?  Or does it HAVE to be on the outer edges?

It shouldn't matter where the page numbers are set...only that their location on all your masters is consistent.

• 9. Re: Aligning page numbers
                          MW Design CommunityMVP

If this happens also in a new document, it would really help if you simply made a dummy test document and uploaded it to dropbox.com or your own server and provide a link for someone here to download it.

Else the 20 question game could reach 200.

• 10. Re: Aligning page numbers
                            sandeecohen CommunityMVP

Try answering these questions.

Do you have facing pages? If yes, go to the next question.

Go to the left-hand master and click the frame that contains the page number. Write down the X and Y coordinates for that frame.

Go to the right-hand master and click the frame and write down the X and Y coordinates.

If the pages numbers are centered at the bottom of the pages, the X and Y coordinates should match.

If they don't, make it so they do.

Then create the PDF and tell us what you see.

• 11. Re: Aligning page numbers
                              fm3126 Community Member

Do you have facing pages? If yes, go to the next question.  YES

Go to the left-hand master and click the frame that contains the page number. Write down the X and Y coordinates for that frame.  DONE

Go to the right-hand master and click the frame and write down the X and Y coordinates. DONE

If the pages numbers are centered at the bottom of the pages, the X and Y coordinates should match.  THEY DO

If they don't, make it so they do.

Then create the PDF and tell us what you see.  STILL UNEVEN.

• 12. Re: Aligning page numbers
                                fm3126 Community Member

Does it go away if you select the frames on the master pages and openthe text frame options, then check the box to ignore text wrap?

I did this suggestion above and it is still printing via PDF AND copier unevenly.

Thanks.

• 13. Re: Aligning page numbers
                                  Mary Posner Community Member

I second the request from MW Design - it would be helpful to see the document(s) in question. In addition to the InDesign file(s), can you post a sample PDF showing the problem you're experiencing? Thanks.

• 14. Re: Aligning page numbers
                                    fm3126 Community Member

Here is a google link...see if this works.

Thank you all for your help with this!  I really appreciate it!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8ERtr1AGsv3dXgtcmVEaUwxN00&usp=sharing

• 15. Re: Aligning page numbers

Had a look at the file. The page number location on the masters is not consistent. I don't have time for full analysis, but just for example, the number on the B master is (a lot) higher than the others. There is a horizontal deviation from E Master to F Master. There are a lot of masters and a lot of potential for additional deviations. You would have to make them all the same before you could expect them to actually be the same.