1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 20, 2007 8:35 PM by Newsgroup_User

Retaining FW layers in Illustrator

k_santoro
      I've been using FW for years, and just recently had to upgrade my system. The IT guy loaded the CS3 suite on my machine (provided by the university I work at), and I was dismayed to see that FW wasn't there. Why not? I asked, and was told that they're not loading FW but recommending that people switch to Illustrator. I'm one of those old Corel hold-outs, and I'm not all that familiar with the Adobe graphics products, so my question may sound silly, but here goes. How do I edit one of my many existing png files in Illustrator? IT guy said he thought layers would be retained in Illustrator, but the program seems to be bringing the png in as a bitmap. What goes? Do I have to reinstall FW8?
        • 1. Re: Retaining FW layers in Illustrator
          Level 7
          k santoro wrote:
          > I've been using FW for years, and just recently had to upgrade my system. The
          > IT guy loaded the CS3 suite on my machine (provided by the university I work
          > at), and I was dismayed to see that FW wasn't there. Why not? I asked, and was
          > told that they're not loading FW but recommending that people switch to
          > Illustrator. I'm one of those old Corel hold-outs, and I'm not all that
          > familiar with the Adobe graphics products, so my question may sound silly, but
          > here goes. How do I edit one of my many existing png files in Illustrator? IT
          > guy said he thought layers would be retained in Illustrator, but the program
          > seems to be bringing the png in as a bitmap. What goes? Do I have to reinstall
          > FW8?
          >

Sounds like they installed the Design Suite rather than the Web Suite.
          FW is only in the Web Suite. In my view, switching to AI is not the answer.

Fireworks doesn't export to a very current version of Illustrator, but
          it imports to current AI files fairly well.

If you install FW 8, you'll be able to save files as AI files, but I'm
          not sure how much of your design will be lost in the process. I'd
          recommend installing FW8 and continue using it unless you can convince
          your Dean or Chair or Coordinator to purchase the updated FW CS3.

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver