5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2013 11:45 AM by A.T. Romano

Presets for Lumix G6

stamperdog

Just bought a Lumix G6 camera and I know I picked the wrong presents because the video keeps flashing. 

It shoots AVCHD Progressive  and AVCHD.  It also shoots MP4, but I didn't think that was as good an option.

Which preset should I use? 

• 1. Re: Presets for Lumix G6
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which version of the program are you using?

Versions 11 and 12 will be able to edit the video from this camera if you shoot in AVCHD 1920x1080.

In versions 11 and 12, you can even shoot in 1920x1080 progressive (60p or 50p PAL) and edit it in the program.

If you are using a version of the program prior to version 11, you'll need to shoot in AVCHD 1920x1080 30i (or 25i in PAL) and make sure that, when you start your editing project, you select the project settings for Full AVCHD.

• 2. Re: Presets for Lumix G6
            A.T. Romano Level 7

stamper

Would you describe this "flashing" as flicker?

If so, I read that your camera has a "Flicker Reduction" option. How do you have that set?

If Premiere Elements 11 or 12, look at Edit Menu/Project Settings/General Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size to determine what the program is automatically setting as the project preset. Does it agree with the properties of your source media (based on your camera named, believed to be 1080p60 or 1080p50)?

Also, if you are using Premiere Elements 11 or 12, check out setting your project preset manually to 1080p60 (if NTSC) or 1080p50 (if PAL), using File Menu/New/Project (with check mark for "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then you import your media with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets - drag to Timeline.

If this is all about "flicker", Premiere Elements has two options for that, one is under Field Options and the other is in the Motion Panel. More information on that if necessary.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Presets for Lumix G6
              stamperdog Level 1

I guess I'm going to have to upgrade because I stopped at 10.  I have almost all of them starting at 4.  I know that I tried again and it offered to change the settings.  It appeared to have worked, but that initial video is done - flickering and all.  Thanks.

• 4. Re: Presets for Lumix G6
                stamperdog Level 1

I guess you could call it flickering.  I have PE 10.  I started a new file and assigned something way off.  The program offered to adjust my settings when I brought the media file in.  It seems to have worked, but I guess it's time to upgrade - even though I have most of them starting at PE 4.  Thank you.

• 5. Re: Presets for Lumix G6
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

stamperdog

You need to decide what works for you.

But, please consider that a Premiere Elements (any version) project needs many considerations starting with project settings. So, you may just do a purchase of a later version, only to run into similar issues.

Please consider the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements before purchase. Adobe's tryout is the current version only. Therefore you would be looking at version 12 and an entirely different looking workspaces Expert, Expert Guided, Quick, Quick Guided in contrast to the Timeline and Sceneline workspaces of your current version 10.

Sounds like you have a good program already which can be used to give you an good end product. But, do not depend on Premiere Elements automatic project setting.

a. Verify, Edit Menu/Project Settings/General Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size etc

and then

b. As indicated, set the project preset to match the properties of your source media. Even if your version does not have a specific NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60 project preset, you can still use NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30 (unless you are doing frame to frame editing which I do not believe you are).  More on all that another time if interested and/or needed.

Whatever your decisions, success with your projects.

ATR