30 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2013 9:12 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Problem with frame rate in Premiere

RaulCC

Hello,

Well I have some footage in 200fps because i wanted to try some slow motion and stuff,the problem is that in the properties of the file it says 200fps but when I drag it into premiere,it says that it's 29,97fps so I can't work with the footage.Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Right click the clip in the bin>Modify>Interpret Footage...

What's it say about the frame rate?

• 2. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
            RaulCC Level 1

There it says 29,97,if I change it to 200fps it gets to 1 sec.

• 3. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
              Jim_Simon Level 8

You don't necessarily want it to be 200, you change it there for how fast you want it to play.  So at 29.97 it should be playing really slow, yes?

• 4. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Can you shoot a few seconds at 200fps and post it in a Dropbox (or somewhere we can get at it to test it)?

If Premiere Pro thinks it is 29.97 then there may be something odd about the file.

• 6. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Well, there you go.

• 7. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                    shooternz Level 6

I am unclear on what happens when you  insert the 200fps clip to the Sequence?

You should have a Sequence created  that corresponds to  a "normal" frame rate. eg 25 or 25 or 30 fps.  Frame rate is play back speed)

When you place a clip that is captured / shot  at 200 fps into it...it should be playing slo motion ( which is what you want I assume)

• 8. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I know what happens with 60fps footage - it creates a 60fps sequence when dropped on the "New Item" button. I don't know what happens to 200fps footage.

Nonetheless, if Raul imports 200fps footage, then tells Premiere Pro to treat it as 29.97, then drops it on the 29.97 sequence, it should play in slow motion.

However, if he does not interpret it as 29.97, Premiere Pro should keep it the same duration and drop lots and lots of frames to accomplish that task. At least if it behaves like 60fpos only faster.

• 9. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                        shooternz Level 6

THe point of shooting high frame rate has always  been play it in a standard frame  rate if one wants to see  slo mo.

ITs as easy as that.

No interpret or anything require.

Obviously..dont create new sequence from the off rate clip.

• 10. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

shooternz,

OK, fair enough, you made me try it for myself to make sure I wasn't wrong. I am not wrong.

Once again, if I drop a 60fps clip on a 29.97 sequence, the clip plays at the original duration by dropping half of its frames.

If, however, I interpret the footage as 29.97 and then drop it on a 29.97 sequence, it plays at half the speed, taking twice as long to do so.

Could I have just had the clip play at 50% speed? Yes. But I think it will repeat frames to do so instead of doing it neatly like the interpret method. I would have to check to make sure, but I think it drops the frames first and then plays what is left at 50%.

Interpreting the footage is a reliable way to play it in slow motion.

• 11. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                            shooternz Level 6

Absolutely counter to what I do but interesting.

Any off rate clips that I shoot are dropped into the standard speed timeline . They  automatically playback as I expect. Slomo or sped up.

Extreme example would  be timelapse clips.

Normal example would be shoot 50 fps...that plays back at 1/2 speed without  "intervention" in a 25 fps Sequence

• 12. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

No interpret or anything require.

No, you do need the Interpret, which tells PP how to play back the clip.

• 13. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

They  automatically playback as I expect. Slomo or sped up.

That's not normal.  Dropping any clip into any sequence, it should still play real time.  The sequence only determines how many of those frames you see.

But the Interpret command tells PP at what speed to play back the clip, and is normally required for slow motion playback of higher speed footage.

You should run another test.  I believe you will see that you made an error in observation.

• 14. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                  shooternz Level 6

What would you tell PP to do with a clip shot at 50fps and the Sequence is 25fps?

• 15. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

If you wanted the pure slow motion, Interpret it to 25 fps.  If you wanted real time playback (but in this case only seeing half the frames), just drop it in.

• 16. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Thanks for taking over Jim. I went out to grab some dinner. My wife is visiting her sister tonight so I had to fend for myself.

One of the cool things about Premiere Pro is that it will play darn near anything at the original speed regardless of what kind of sequence you drop it into. However, that means that you need to tell it that you do not want it to do that when you want to see it in slow motion.

• 17. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                        shooternz Level 6

What do you call "original speed" Steven?

Timelapse shot in camera at  1 frame every second would play as what in Premiere without "interpretation"?

I shoot many scenes at  36-50 fps. eg stirring shots (food)...pouring shots (food) etc to ensure I hae enough frames to cover the duration.

I never interpret them and enevitably..I end up speeding them up to make them fit.

Ofte I  have shot scenes at normal speed as well as off rate.

I assure you there is a difference between the clips. shot both ways.

So what cameras do you both use that have true off rate speed capabilty?.

I know of no HDSLR that has this but stand to be corrected if wrong.

• 18. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

What do you call "original speed" Steven?

Sorry - should have said "original duration" I suppose. If I shoot 10 seconds at 24p and 10 seconds at 30p and 10 seconds at 60p, then drop them all on the same sequence, regardless of the sequence settings, they will all play for 10 seconds.

My camera allows me to shoot 24p, 30p and 60p. I generally shoot 60p if I think I am going to want to slow it down. Otherwise I shoot 24p in order to get a more film like video. Believe me when I say I fought the idea that shooting 24p really helped with making it look more like film but I eventually had to admit that there was a difference I could not account for any other way.

Now, my camera will also allow me to overcrank or undercrank, but I don't use that feature. I prefer to just adjust the frame rate myself. If it would let me overcrank starting at 60p it would be great, but it limits me to starting at 30p so I might as well just shoot 60p.

Speeding a clip up is relatively easy in Premiere Pro and looks fine with a simple speed adjustment. You just drop frames and it plays faster.

Slowing it down and having it look good really calls for overcranking the camera, or in my case, shooting at 60p and playing it back at 24p.

But if I drop that 60p on a 24p timeline without interpreting it, 10 seconds of 60p still plays for 10 seconds. So 60% of the frames are dropped. When I interpret it, the duration stretches to 25 seconds.

• 19. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                            shooternz Level 6

THere is the difference Steven.

My camera  can shoot 24p ,25p, 50p also...but it can also shoot actual frame rates within those. 

'VFR' like a film camera. and just like Reds /Alexas.

eg 25p: FPS = 50, 48,45,42,37,34,32,30,28,27,26,25,24,23,22,21,20,18,15,12.

• 20. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              Timelapse shot in camera at  1 frame every second would play as what in Premiere without "interpretation"?

Whatever the Indeterminate Media Timebase is set for in Preferences.

• 22. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

I assure you there is a difference between the clips. shot both ways.

The possible explanation here is that PP is actually reading your off-speed clips at their correct speed, so you don't need to Interpert it manually.

• 23. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

The possible explanation here is that PP is actually reading your off-speed clips at their correct speed, so you don't need to Interpert it manually.

That would be interesting.

Perhaps because 60fps is common, Premiere Pro reads it as 60fps and keeps the duration the same. But maybe if the fps was 42, it would try to associate it with a "standard" frame rate and slow it down or speed it up as required.

Hmmm. That would be an interesting fact to know.

So, Craig, if you drop 10 seconds of 50fps into a 25fps sequence, does it slow it down to a duration of 20 seconds? If so, that is not at all what I am seeing here. Maybe there is a project setting or preference that we have set differently.

• 24. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                                    shooternz Level 6

So, Craig, if you drop 10 seconds of 50fps into a 25fps sequence, does it slow it down to a duration of 20 seconds? If so, that is not at all what I am seeing here. Maybe there is a project setting or preference that we have set differently.

I have never done that so dont know.

That is exactly how it works with true VFR footage.

• 25. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Craig,

I have never done that so dont know.

Well, I would appreciate it if you would do that when you get a chance. I am curious which frame rates Premiere Pro recognizes and which it doesn't. What is the result of putting different frame rates on a 24fps sequence, for example?

Also, what are you shooting with? Sounds like an interesting camera.

• 26. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                                        shooternz Level 6

I own Panasonic AF102 but also use Alexa and Reds.

I am sure all the Canon and Sony versions with VFR work this way as well.

I think one needs to differentiate between VFR (true frame capture speeds) and those "codec / format speeds"

• 27. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

That's probably the difference.  Most people are likely shooting at standard frame rates and have to manually Interpret to change playback speed.  I can see where VFR appears to work differently.

• 28. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I think one needs to differentiate between VFR (true frame capture speeds) and those "codec / format speeds"

Huh?

I have been assuming that your VFR captured video at the frame rate you asked it to capture. Is that not correct?

So if you ask for 42 frames per second, that is what you get, right?

OK. So if that is right, then when I ask my camera to shoot 60 frames per second, how is that different, other than I am using a "standard" frame rate and yours is much more flexible?

I am missing something. I don't know what you mean by "codec / format speeds"

A little help here please? I find this an interesting topic but I seem to be suffering from a lack of experience that both you and Jim seem to have.

• 29. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                                              shooternz Level 6

I have been assuming that your VFR captured video at the frame rate you asked it to capture. Is that not correct?

That is correct.  It shoots and captures ...say 42 fps.  ie 42 frames of realtime action in 1 second of time. "overcranking".

I don't know what you mean by "codec / format speeds"

I did not know any other way to term this.  Its just the base frame rates that are designed for playback at the exact same rate they are captured at.  Not true over or under cranking or VFR. Normal speed in fact.  Shoot 50 fps playback 50 fps.

Obviously someonethen  thought...here is a tricky litle way of getting some slo mo or speed change.  That was not the original reason for the capabilty AFAIK.

I figure Premiere can see this in the headers and flags and thats how it knows what to create a New Sequence from.

Premiere just sees VFR footage for what it is.

• 30. Re: Problem with frame rate in Premiere
                                                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Makes sense. If you shoot something standard, you get something standard. If you want to do something different with it you tell Premiere Pro. If you shoot something a little odd, it knows why you did it.

Cool!