19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2013 7:52 PM by esergiou

Symbol Fonts

esergiou

The symbol fonts are not working with PE version 12. On the other hand PS version 12 is fine !! Any imput ?

• 1. Re: Symbol Fonts
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Exactly which "symbol fonts" are you speaking of?

Are you getting a problem with Titler crashing, or just with the display of certain fonts? For crashes, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5568761#5568761

Titler, the Title creation sub-app in Premiere, is very, very sensitive to fonts. It will have issues with many, that are not well-written, and crashes on any that are corrupt. Many other Text programs are not that sensitive, so will often work OK with fonts that Titler cannot display, or even work with.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Symbol Fonts
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, for the display of Symbol Fonts, is this what you are getting?

Bad_Font_Title.png

Hunt

• 3. Re: Symbol Fonts
              esergiou Level 1

Exactly this is what I am getting, as you showed below !! I am trying to type Greek fonts which as you undestand it can be done via SYMBOL fonts.

On the other hand there is no problem with Photo shop version 12 !!!

I really appreciate your help

Thank you

• 4. Re: Symbol Fonts
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that info.

Titler cannot display some fonts (and often ones that other programs, Adobe or other, seem to have zero problems with).

My first course of action would be to find another font set on my computer, with the necessary characters, and then try one of those. I have Greek characters in many font sets. It might take a bit of experimentation, but then I would make note of which one(s) work, as needed.

Second, if the necessary characters are just not available, then I would try creating the title in Photoshop, and doing a Save_As PSD, to be Imported into PrE, and used like a Still Image. The downside is that the PSD would need to be edited back in Photoshop, rather than in Titler. However, I use Ps for such Titles, and especially if I need advanced Text handling, such as Kerning, Track, etc.. PrE's Titler has removed some of the advanced Text handling functions, as of PrE 11 - same for PrE 12. If I need even more Text handling, than Ps can provide, I start in Illustrator, then Open, or Place the AI document in Ps, to Rasterize it for use in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Symbol Fonts
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

BTW - are you on a PC, or a Mac?

The reason that I ask is that if on a PC, I will gladly, and quickly check which font set I have, that offers Greek characters, which work in Titler. I think that I can limit those choices to the more common font sets, as I have a bunch, so do not want to suggest ones that are not that common on a PC. If you are on a Mac, then my tests might be useless to you, as the common font sets WILL differ.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Symbol Fonts
                    esergiou Level 1

I really dont know how to thank you. I have a presentation next week and I was counting on PE version 12. I am in touch with Adobe but I have no reply yet!!!

The solution with Photo shop sounds great as a quick fix. On the other hand I was planning to create a text not only with one line but a whole paragraph and make it a little fancy such as scrolling etc. , but if this is my only choice then I have no other option.

On your question PC or Mac . I have a PC windows version 7. More help or directions will greatly appreciated.

Also this problem is it because of windows or Adobe ?

Thank you so much and looking forward to yur reply...

• 7. Re: Symbol Fonts
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, in PrE 11 on Windows XP-Pro, I just used Symbol True Type, and it worked perfectly in Titler:

Symbol_Font_Titler.png

I used the System Font, Symbol (included with Win XP-Pro), and also Symbol PS (a font that I added, IIRC), with the same results:

Symbol_Fonts_XP-Pro.png

I wonder if your copy of Symbol is perhaps different, or corrupt, in your Win7 installation. I do not have PrE 12 installed yet, and that will be onto Win7-64, so I cannot test that installation yet.

I would investigate your copy of Symbol first, as there might be an issue with it. I have found that Titler has issues with some fonts, but a good installation of a System Font, should not be a problem. Maybe ATR, or another user with both PrE 12 and Win7 can test for you, to see if maybe MS has made a change to that font.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Symbol Fonts
                        esergiou Level 1

I see your point with corrupted fonts, but I was wondering if indeed I have a corrupted file, do you think the issue would be the same with Photo Shop ?

You see I have no problem with Photo Shop when I call the SYMBOL fonts, only with Premier Elements

What do you think ?

Again thank you for all your help and input

• 9. Re: Symbol Fonts
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

if indeed I have a corrupted file, do you think the issue would be the same with Photo Shop ?

That is a very good question, and I do not have an answer for it.

While Premiere's Titler IS more sensitive to font issues, than even Photoshop, Ps IS still very sensitive. I do not recall encountering a font that it handled, but that Titler did not. However, I keep my font selections to but a few for Titles in Video, so do not use nearly as many, as I do with Ps, or AI.

One test that you might run, would be to create an Image in Ps, with the Symbol font, then do a Copy of just that Text. Then, with Titler open, and the Text Tool selected, try to Paste that into a Title. Somehow, I rather doubt that will work any better, but it would be easy to tell.

I only wish that I had the same PrE version and OS version, as you do, just in case there ARE some changes. I would lean to something in Windows, as being the cause, but cannot test for you. You might make a Copy of your installed fonts (as a backup), and maybe even do a System Restore Point, then Delete your Symbol font from Windows. Then, go to Install Fonts, and re-install it. You might need your Windows Installer Disc (?) to do that. Test to see if there is any change with Titler. If there is no issue with the re-installation, nothing lost, and if there is, you have both a copy of your fonts, plus that System Restore as a backup.

Wish that I had more to offer, but good luck, and please let us know if you can solve the font display issue.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Symbol Fonts
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Just in case there are some differences, my Symbol Font is SYMBOL.TTF, 67.8KB, dated April 04, 2008 (date of install of XP-Pro) and Modified on August 04, 2004.

Just trying to think of something that might help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Symbol Fonts
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I do not understand your result with Premiere Elements 11 on Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit if you were working with the "Symbol" font choice that Adobe gave you and you did not do anything "special" with your Windows fonts and/or placement of fonts in some Common Folders.

So, that is going to motivate me to install Premiere Elements 11 on Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit and see what I get.

This is the story that I have put together based on my observations of a Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit.

For Premiere Elements 4, 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, and 10, the Titler in each offers a "Symbol" font. Important. That "Symbol" font comes in Regular or Medium choice. If you select "Symbol" Medium, you can get your Greek characters as you show. But, if you select "Symbol" Regular, you get the blocks.

For reasons unknown, when you get to Premiere Elements 11 and 12, the Titler in each offers "Symbol" font Regular ONLY. So, you are stuck with blocks. My attempts to borrow some Symbol font failed. I suspect because it was .ttf, and I was trying to bring it into a .otf community of fonts for Premiere Elements.

Interestingly, Photoshop Elements offers the "Symbol" font choice in its Full Editor as "Regular" and "Medium", but both work to produced the Greek characters and no blocks.

Reflecting, the one thing that is confirming about your screenshot...Premiere Elements 11 on Windows XP SP3 32 bit is that you got the Greek letters with the "Symbol" font with the Medium choice. Did you get a choice for Regular as well? In my case of Premiere Elements 11 and 12 Windows 7, I had no alternative. It was just Regular and that gave the blocks instead of the Greek characters.

I just need to figure out how you got the result you did. A Windows XP perk? Then I will report back.

More later.

ATR

• 12. Re: Symbol Fonts
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

In PrE 11, XP-Pro 32-bit, I ONLY have Symbol, which then shows as Regular - no Medium, and the Greek characters shown in my screen-cap, are what I got.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Symbol Fonts
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

In PrE 11, XP-Pro 32-bit, I ONLY have Symbol, which then shows as Regular - no Medium,

The above contradicts what you show in your own screenshot. Please look again. That sure does look like "Medium" to the right of the font name "Symbol" in what you demo'd.

The plot thickens.

I just installed Premiere Elements 11 on a "real" not virtual Windows XP Professional SP3 64 bit - Desktop Computer. (I mention that since I have Windows 7 with its Windows XP Compatibility Mode which is a virtual Windows XP Professional SP3 64 bit.)

Unlike the Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit counterpart, the Titler's title has an opportunity for "Symbol" Regular or Medium.

And, "Symbol" Medium is the one that offers Greek characters. And, "Symbol" Regular is the one that offers "blocks".

Why the difference between Windows XP and 7 in this regard ??? I will think about this. But from the point of view of the ID who originated the thread that is neither here nor there since it seems unlikely that the ID is considering Windows XP for running Premiere Elements 11.

It will be interesting to learn of your experiences with your Greek fonts when you get to Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 64 bit.

More later.

ATR

ATR

• 14. Re: Symbol Fonts
                                    esergiou Level 1

Thank you both for the continues updates

I checked the font "SYMBOL " size and here is the info

68.4 KB (70,128 bytes)

TrueType font file (.ttf)

Created : Monday, July 13, 2009, 10:34:52 PM

Modified : Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 4:44:09 PM

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE THAT THE MODIFICATION IS BEFORE THE CREATION ??

• 15. Re: Symbol Fonts
                                      esergiou Level 1

One more.. I only see REGULAR medium is not a choice

Thank you

• 16. Re: Symbol Fonts
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

esergiou

I need to think about Adobe's history on those Created:, Modified:, and Accessed: datings, but what I suspect is the case

Adobe Modified: = the creation date (June 10, 2009)

Adobe Accessed: = the date that the file was accessed by Adobe or other (July 13, 2009).

Adobe Created: = is now referencing the work at the access point (July 13, 2009).

By the way, when I look at the Properties of the Symbol Regular .ttf file, I have the same Created:, Modified; and Accessed: dating/times that you have.

Right now I am trying to figure out an angle to get around this. No breakthroughs yet.

ATR

• 17. Re: Symbol Fonts
                                          esergiou Level 1

Thank you, I really don't know what else to say

Sent from my iPhone

• 18. Re: Symbol Fonts
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

esergiou

I am going to see if I can find a workaround for the Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 64 bit side of things in this matter.

For Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor on Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 64 bit, the Type Tool offers the two "Symbol" text fonts and each have one text style..

Symbol (T1) which has only the Medium text style

and

Symbol (OTT) which has only the Regular text style

Yet either one will give you Greek letters. No blocks for either one.

It looks like the both have the same selection of symbols.

ATR

• 19. Re: Symbol Fonts
                                              esergiou Level 1

Thank you for all your efforts

Sent from my iPhone