11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2013 12:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Bugged audio playback? When I start working with more than 1 audio track.

Tascruel

Hi!

I have been using premiere elements 12 for editing FullHD videos.

Brand new for me just bought it like 2 weeks ago.

Now during the last couple weeks I have had this MAJOR proglem with editing the audio.

This problem is headache and turns my simple editing into almost impossibilites.

I have had this problem with all my projects. _ALL_

Usually the problem seems to appear when I want to start working with several audio tracks.

At somepoint my projects just get ruined, I simply cannot hear the audio tracks.

The audio starts to disapear randomly from all the audio tracks.

It is not only playback problem. When I exported the video, the audio was partly missing, same as the project.

I have tried to look help on forums and search all what I could find, but havent been able to solve this.

Small fix has slightly helped:

I export audio to single track and bring it back to project. This works but I still usually have more editing to do.

I simply cannot understand why the playback disapears, I fear it is a bug.

I found lot of earlier version problems on people with similar type of problems, but no help for this version of program.

To solve the matter I have changed my audio setting in PE12.

Tried Premiere Elements WDM Sound and ASIO4ALL V2, but same problem on both.

I have looked up that my audio playback device and PE12 matches, and are not muted, and volumes maxed.

I have deleted my C:\ appdata\roaming\adobe  premiere elements & premiere elements 12 folder preferences.. not helping..

I press the update pretty much everyday hoping for new version.. But yes, program keeps telling me its the latest.

I usually only work with 3 audio track maxinum. And I am doing really the most basic stuff here..

I have set all my audios to foreground and it has given me best results, but it does not seem to take the problem away as at somepoint randomly my audio playback is missing again, randomly across the playback.

Please anyone? I am feeling hopeless here.

Info on my computer:

Operating system: Win7

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) x4 955 processor 3.20 GHz

memory (RAM): 4GB

system: 64bit

<moved from downloading, installing, setting up forum by mod- kglad>

Message was edited by: kglad

• 1. Re: Bugged audio playback? When I start working with more than 1 audio track.
          Barbara B. Level 7

Hi, Tascruel. I'm sorry to move your post again, but this is the Photohshop Elements forum and almost nobody here uses Premiere Elements. I'll move you to the PRE forum, since you'll get much better help with this there.

• 2. Re: Bugged audio playback? When I start working with more than 1 audio track.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Tascruel

Let us start with some basic questions.

What are the properties of your source media other than "Full HD videos"?

Video and audio compression, frame size (assumed 1920 x 1080), frame rate, file extension, progressive or interlaced frame rate?

What are you or the program setting as the project preset in the new project dialog. See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and its Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size readings.

Do the problems persist if you start a new project? Do you find the audio problems develop when the Timeline content is fairly well developed or can the problems occur when there a minimal amount of content of those tracks? Let us look at the size and duration of this project.

Is there any evidence that you are accidentially moving the audio track rubberband to alter the audio volume. That rubberband is the orange line that runs horizontally through the middle of the audio clip when you are looking at the wave form display style of that audio track. The rubberband represents audio volume.

More later.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Bugged audio playback? When I start working with more than 1 audio track.
              Tascruel Level 1

First of all, thank you for replying my message!

I will go and try to answer best I can.

Source media properties:

Progressive frame rate, I record this from a game.

Recording program: dxtory

codec: Lagarith Lossless codec

Format: avi

Frame width: 1920

Frame height: 1080

Data rate: 1990656kbps

total bit rate 1992192kbps

Frame rate 30/frames/seccond

Audio of video properties:

Codec: PCM

Format: 16bit, stereo

Bit rate: 1536kbps

Channels: 2(stereo)

Audio sample rate 48 kHz

In addition to that I use wav files for music and narrate

Music files sizes 20-50mb

bit rate: ~1411kbps

In total sizes of audio involved is usually something like 300mb

What are you or the program setting as the project preset in the new project dialog. See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and its Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size readings.

I opened new project and this is what i got:

Editing mode: HD 1080i

Timebase: 25,00 frames/second

Frame size: 1920 x1080

Audio is 48000 Hz

(I dont know how to change these, btw. Program don't seem to let me change editing mode.

I also looked up my most recent project and found these settings:

Editing Mode: DSLR

Timebase: 30,00 frames/second

Frame size: 1920 x1080

..and same audio settings

Do the problems persist if you start a new project? Do you find the audio problems develop when the Timeline content is fairly well developed or can the problems occur when there a minimal amount of content of those tracks? Let us look at the size and duration of this project.

Yes, I have had this problem with all my projects. Sometimes it goes away tho, just enough for me to work bit more. My work progress usually starts by clipping the video material, like 1h material to 8minutes in clips. After that I want to work with audio tracks, and here problems start! When I start working with more than 1 track, so the problem is at later stage. To fix the problem a small fix I have used, I export audio like music and effects tracks together to 1 wav and bring it back. After that, I start working with narrate track. To describe the problem with audio:

Audio Randomly starts to disapear when I playback, and can also be gone if I export the video out.

My source videos total size are usually within 80Gb max limit and audio edit material 300mb total.

In my last project my biggest source video was 47GB and leingth of 1h 4m, in addition to that I had 3 smaller videos, sizes of 1GB, 1,54GB and 300MB.

Is there any evidence that you are accidentially moving the audio track rubberband to alter the audio volume. That rubberband is the orange line that runs horizontally through the middle of the audio clip when you are looking at the wave form display style of that audio track. The rubberband represents audio volume.

No, audio volumes might have been adjusted in my tracks but they are present. The problem is usually like ~2-5seconds, a random audio track can be heard (like music or narrate) or just no sounds at all. This makes it very difficult to work with the audio. Also I gotta say that this problem starts by simply having the 2-3 audio tracks.. In my recent project the only adjustment I used to edit the audio was fade in/out.

I don't have any other audio problems with any other programs.

I am more than happy to provide more information if needed. I hope this information helps.

In addition I can say that when I close Adobe Premiere Elements 12, it crashes. No idea why.

I have also looked up my firewall settings, anything involved adobe and premiere..

In addition some effects like HD text templates make "Adobe Media Core CS6" crash. I tend to just not use em, or if I need em, I add em at end of the edits.

I hope this helps, I would really like to solve this problem.

Thank you alot for taking the time to answer! I welcome anyone to help mee too! Please giev links to similar problems too. Thank you everybody!

• 4. Re: Bugged audio playback? When I start working with more than 1 audio track.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Tascruel

For Premiere Elements 12 Windows 8 64 bit and the size of your Timeline content, I would take the total installed RAM to at least 8 GB. What does your free hard drive situation look like, especially in terms of where the Scratch Disks are directed (See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks).

For the source media that you described, please use project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

You want the project preset to match the properties of your source media. Decision on the export choice is another matter.

To determine if project content size is a factor in the problems, make a copy of the current project. With the copy, delete 1/2 of it away and then determine if the problems persist in the 1/2 version.

Please review the above, let us know if any of it works for you, and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Bugged audio playback? When I start working with more than 1 audio track.
                  Tascruel Level 1

Thank you for answering.

One quick question..

How do I change project preset? The program did not let me change the settings...

• 6. Re: Bugged audio playback? When I start working with more than 1 audio track.
                    Tascruel Level 1

Scratch Disks show that I am using drive D: folders for all here. I have 190GB free currently.

My Hard disc drives are C: D: (same hard drive 7200rpm) and G: and this last one is SSD drive size of 111GB

I think by the programs here involved where installed on D: or mayhaps C: drive.

I save my projects on D: and scratch disc options are set to same as project. Only media cache is custom

• 7. Re: Bugged audio playback? When I start working with more than 1 audio track.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Tascruel

Thanks for asking. I had intended to put that in my latest reply and forgot to do that.

The Adobe party line is that you cannot change a project preset settings once set and you are in the Premiere Elements workspace. I have described a way to do that in some instances by editing the Notepad document of the saved/closed project file (project.prel).

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings-without.html

Often it is easier to start a new project with the appropriate project preset, blocking the program's automatic action in this regard. To do that

Open Premiere Elements to its Expert workspace.

Go to File Menu/New/Project and in the project preset set the project preset that matches the properties of your source media. Before exiting the new project dialog, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, then go to Add Media/Files and Folders to bring your source media into the Project Assets from where you drag the source media to the Timeline.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...check your project settings via Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, against the readings there, especially Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

• 8. Re: Bugged audio playback? When I start working with more than 1 audio track.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Tascruel

Did you go with the program's default installation on whatever is your Local Disk C?

ATR

• 9. Re: Bugged audio playback? When I start working with more than 1 audio track.
                          Tascruel Level 1

Hi!

I usually install programs to C:\ but I installed the program to D:\

C drive had 13GB free space but D: had plenty. like 200GB

Also my Windows is installed in C: and I just want to keep it with space available

I am thinking that maybe I should reinstall the program to my ssd drive G:

I could use some tips how to best utilize the ssd i have.

Currently I am saving my videos to drive G: (that I record) and it is ssd drive.

I save projects in D: and I also have scratchdisc settings all to D:

Drive C and D are 7200rps older hard drive

• 10. Re: Bugged audio playback? When I start working with more than 1 audio track.
                            Tascruel Level 1

I tested the new project you suggested and now that I got to add the project details, like you suggested..

Well sofar, I have not been able to get the same problem again.

I did tests, added big videos, same wav files of music, effects and narrate.

Audio did work and I also exported a short test video. And I was able to use 3 audio tracks. (cheers!)

One thing is diffrent now tho, when I add videos to timeline, program asks:

Smart fix

Fix quality problems in clip?

(yes, no options)

Choosing yes makes the video horribly bright and just horrible in my humble opinion.

Luckyly option NO seems to bring the video with the kind of quality that I was expecting.

I did export test to check this out.

Only thing diffrent here is that I have not edited the video clips as much. Nor the audio tracks.

My previous projects involved some heavy cutting.

I hope these new project settings does the trick.

In addition, I gues I have to consider getting more that memory for my computer like you suggested.

Earlier the launcher always directed me to "preset settings" of new project and I was unable to change settings.

I will return to post about this matter should I encounter this problem again.

I am really happy you had time to answer!

If you have any more tips or tricks, I would be happy to try them too.

I have few questions involving my ssd hard drive.

Should I reinstall the video editing software to this drive?

Currently I just save to ssd with my video recording software, and then open the files from this hard drive to my project.

I also currently keep my projects in older hard drive that has more space available in it.

• 11. Re: Bugged audio playback? When I start working with more than 1 audio track.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Tascruel

Thanks for the great news. We are very pleased that you are moving forward with your projects. Congratulations and thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

With those Smart Fix and the like messages, typically I first click "Do not show again" followed by No. Hopefully that message will take. If not, I repeat the process and hope that it remembers my intent next time. I would definitely double check to be sure that the AutoAnalzyer is shut off in the Elements Organizer workspace....Edit Menu/Preferences/MediaAnalzysis. If not, among other things, you will find your video being split into clips and the clips stacked. If you ever need the AutoAnalzyer, then use the "on demand" approach where you can right click the file thumbnail in media and select Run AutoAnalzyer.

I do not have a ssd hard drive so I do not have first hand information on that.

What is your Local Disk C, this ssd drive? What is the capacity of the ssd drive?

But, until you get some first hand information on your drive situation, I would leave everything as is if you are getting good results with your Premiere Elements performanace (import/editing/export). But, I will see what information I can round up on this topic.

Thanks again.

ATR