6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2013 3:25 PM by JJMack

CC Trial

JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Wife is gone for the weekend so I started my 30 day trial.  I started Photoshop CC and it started and offered to migrate my CS6 presets.  I accepted the offer.  Photoshop starup migrated my presets but not my Photoshop preferences so I set my CC preference like my CS6 settings.. The first thing I did then was check for updates. There were two one for Photoshop CC 32 bit  version and one for Photoshop CC 64 bit Version. So I gave the OK to install them. During the update I had to close down CC. CC  need a restart anyway for my preferences setting to take hold. The updates installed without a problem and I was happy to see I did not have to start the Creative Cloud Desktop application. I may be able to uninstall Adobe Cloud Desktop Application and still be able to use Photoshop CC and get its updates, for the Adobe Application Manager seems up to the task.

When I start Photoshop CC Adobe nag pop-up windows always raises its ugly head. Adobe WHY? About Photoshop shows I'm at level 14.1.2.

I tried one of my scripts and it worked that was good to see. I will spend some to doing regression testing this week. Test my Actions and Scripts to see if any of the problem areas have been addressed.

I see the two incompatible Photoshop options are still present in the Adjustment Panel's fly-out menu. Adobe these really should be removed from Photoshop.  Adobe still disable Photoshop's Tool recording feature when you install Adobe's scriptlistener plugin.

Well also test the CS6 bugs not fixed in CS6 that effect some of my Actions.

Save For Web Action recorder problem fixed in CC

Interactive rename current layer action Player bug not fixed.  A layer rename dialog does not open. CS5 action the used insert menu item Layer>Layer Properties to rename layer fail because Adobe removed menu Layer>Layer Properties in CS6 and replaced it with Layer>Layer Rename.  However using insert menu item  Layer>Layer Rename inserted nothing into the action.  Instead of fixing that problem in CC Adobe grays out Layer>Layer Rename for no good reason. For Layer>Layer Rename is a valid option for the current state of the document. So old actions with Select Layer Properties Fail with an error. Action with set currentlayer name set to be interactive do not open a dialog.  Insert menu item Layer>Layer Rename is not possible. Actions now need to use a script to be able to have an interactive rename layer step. Yes this is a low impact bug.  Adobe it would still be nice if you maintained backwards compatibility and fixed reported bugs.

I have not had any ScriptUIFlex crashes yet however I have not done much script testing. I have only used CC for a few hours no crashes yet....

Just looking around for new icons in the UI I saw share in Behance what ever that is. Clicking the icon crashes CC.

FirstCCcrash.jpg

• 1. Re: CC Trial

Day one is over and testing my stuff was uneventful Adobe has fixed the bug I reported in CS6.   The Crashes I produced a few times were fixed by windows adding some compatibility setting to Photoshop on my system.  One of the thing I did not test was the way I provide remote documentation because it so simple. So of course on Day two I try it.  Well it not longer is so simple for it no longer works in Photoshop CC scripting...  I have asked for help over in the scripting forum. http://forums.adobe.com/message/5811333#5811333

• 2. Re: CC Trial
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Do you think you'll keep CC JJ?  Most of the changes are for the good once you get used to them.  Typekit probably doesn't work with the trial, but if it does, be sure to sheck it out.  They keep adding more fonts, and I absolutely love the Typekit font manager.  It has the most sensible, and real world useful, search features I've come across in the few font managers I've tried.

• 3. Re: CC Trial

Right now a lot of my script don't work because of a bug in cc. It was reported in the scripting forum back in September. I reported it today in adobe feedback.  Jeff can reproduce it and will talk to Tom about it.  I  don't expect much from Adobe support they never seem to fix bugs I report in the current release of Photoshop.

It also looks like Adobe is not going the fix the bug the added to Photoshop the break a very few action that use to be able to interactively name layers. I did write a script to to that the can be use users can edit the old actions and replace the step with a script the runs my script.

NameLayer

/* ==========================================================

// 2013  John J. McAssey (JJMack)

// ======================================================= */

// This script is supplied as is. It is provided as freeware.

// The author accepts no liability for any problems arising from its use.

// enable double-clicking from Mac Finder or Windows Explorer

#target photoshop // this command only works in Photoshop CS2 and higher

// bring application forward for double-click events

app.bringToFront();

// ensure at least one document open

if (!documents.length) alert('There are no documents open.', 'No Document');

else {

var sLayers = getSelectedLayersIdx();

if (sLayers.length == 1) {app.activeDocument.activeLayer.name = prompt('Rename layer ' + app.activeDocument.activeLayer.name  + ' to ', ' '); }

else { alert("Check that you have  a single layer targeted"); }

}

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//                              Helper Functions                                                  //

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

function getSelectedLayersIdx(){

var selectedLayers = new Array;

var ref = new ActionReference();

ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID("Dcmn"), charIDToTypeID("Ordn"), charIDToTypeID("Trgt") );

var desc = executeActionGet(ref);

if( desc.hasKey( stringIDToTypeID( 'targetLayers' ) ) ){

desc = desc.getList( stringIDToTypeID( 'targetLayers' ));

var c = desc.count

var selectedLayers = new Array();

for(var i=0;i<c;i++){

try{

activeDocument.backgroundLayer;

selectedLayers.push(  desc.getReference( i ).getIndex() );

}catch(e){

selectedLayers.push(  desc.getReference( i ).getIndex()+1 );

}

}

}else{

var ref = new ActionReference();

ref.putProperty( charIDToTypeID("Prpr") , charIDToTypeID( "ItmI" ));

ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID("Lyr "), charIDToTypeID("Ordn"), charIDToTypeID("Trgt") );

try{

activeDocument.backgroundLayer;

selectedLayers.push( executeActionGet(ref).getInteger(charIDToTypeID( "ItmI" ))-1);

}catch(e){

selectedLayers.push( executeActionGet(ref).getInteger(charIDToTypeID( "ItmI" )));

}

var vis = app.activeDocument.activeLayer.visible;

if(vis == true) app.activeDocument.activeLayer.visible = false;

var desc9 = new ActionDescriptor();

var list9 = new ActionList();

var ref9 = new ActionReference();

ref9.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID('Lyr '), charIDToTypeID('Ordn'), charIDToTypeID('Trgt') );

list9.putReference( ref9 );

desc9.putList( charIDToTypeID('null'), list9 );

executeAction( charIDToTypeID('Shw '), desc9, DialogModes.NO );

if(app.activeDocument.activeLayer.visible == false) selectedLayers.shift();

app.activeDocument.activeLayer.visible = vis;

}

return selectedLayers;

};

• 4. Re: CC Trial

When I first ran Photoshop CC it offered to migrate my CS6 presets. It Did A good job but missed my new document size presets. I hade to migrate that file myself. 

Also I received a Generator pop-up error window yesterday.  That startled me for I had not enabled the generator plug-in.  But when I looked something had enabled the generator plug-in.  Therefor I renamed the two generator folders in required. Now If one tries to enable generator I get a pop-up error message stating there is something wrong with generator to restart Photoshop and try again.  Perhaps I'll get that message when whatever enabled the plug-in tries again.  I have seen treads where it seems generator breaks some actions.  Don't know it that is right but I want none of that and I don't want what generator has to offer.

So far it looks like Adobe is continuing their direction of adding more Web stuff and features,  Some added Photoshop features added lack the required support code for automation.

Adobe continues to break things, thing that use to work in automation no longer do.  Adobe also seems hell bent on not fixing these problems.

I've written in the past that Photoshop's  design and code quality is going down hill. Looks like Photoshop CC may be making that path slightly less down hill a couple of bugs were fixed but new ones have been added to take their place.

Adobe does not seem to know to conduct design reviews so quality suffers.  Adobe regression testing does not catch problems their new code introduces. Adobe support does not fix bugs user find and report.  To me it looks like Photoshop will continue on this down hill path.   I expect some time in the future their corporate customers will demand better quality perhaps then Adobe management will do something.  Its an Adobe management problem.  I'm sure that Adobe has the manpower with workers capable of fixing Photoshop. Perhaps with users lock into subscription Management will let their workers fix the problem. Instead of insisting on new features that break Photoshop in the process, Just to have something new to sell.  Photoshop is 20 years old, not small and quite mature. It not an easy task to add features and maintain quality.  Adobe management has been letting Photoshop quality slide down hill for quite some time now.

• 5. Re: CC Trial
                  SG... Adobe Employee

Hi JJ,

JJMack wrote:

When I first ran Photoshop CC it offered to migrate my CS6 presets. It Did A good job but missed my new document size presets. I hade to migrate that file myself. 

You can find the list of presets and setting that are migrated here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preset-migration-photoshop-cc.html

We also changed these behavior from Ps CS6 preset migration:

• The Preset Migration dialog box that appears at first launch of Photoshop CC does not appear again after you reset preferences by using Shift+Ctrl+Alt (Windows) or Shift+Opt+Cmd (Mac OS). To migrate after first launch, choose Edit > Presets > Migrate Presets in Photoshop.
                  • It's no longer necessary to restart Photoshop after you migrate your presets.
                  • Presets are migrated from the latest version installed before Photoshop CC, going back to Photoshop CS3. To migrate from multiple versions of Photoshop, migrate presets from one version of Photoshop at time.

I'll ask if there a 'clean' way to disable the Generator functionality so you don't have to see the pop-up error.

regards,

steve

• 6. Re: CC Trial

Yes "New Doc Sizes.psp" not migrated did it manually seems to work.

The bug report I made about the file.execute(). script problem was also acknowledged and Jeff wrote it will be fixed.