14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 4:51 AM by VDOSurfer

Styles no longer work

LostBewildered

I'm running Premier Elements 12 on a 3.4 GHz Mac running OSX V10.9.

I drag some Default Text to my timeline, I select the text, I click on Styles, I click on a swatch, and nothing happens? This used to work very nicely and easily in PE 11. Why doesn't this simple operation work anymore? Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Styles no longer work
          the_wine_snob Level 9

LostBewildered,

Welcome to the forum.

What OS version are you on?

In the Styles Library, do you see the default Styles displayed?

If not, perhaps this older FAQ Entry will be useful? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/791855?tstart=0 Now, that was written for earlier versions of PrE, so some locations, etc., might now differ.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Styles no longer work
            A.T. Romano Level 7

LostBewildered

The following scenario that you have described does not come together for me. So I must comment and ask....

I drag some Default Text to my timeline, I select the text, I click on Styles, I click on a swatch

There is a lot of inconsistencies in your report, so excuse if I go back and ask some fundamental questions. I was reluctant to do that because you seem to have used Premiere Element 11. The Titler and Text Menu are the same for 11 and 12.

In order to apply a Style to text created in the Titler, the Titler needs to be opened and the text on screen needs to be selected by the Selection Tool in the Text section of the that opened Titler.

There should be no need for you to drag a just created Titler title to the Timeline because, once you hit Text Menu/New Text/Default Text, the Titler automatically places a copy of the title on the Timeline. But, all sorts of possibilities.

Since you seem to indicate that you can see the Style choices, I do not believe that old FAQ on missing items applies. My guess is that you do not have the Titler opened and or you have not selected the text on screen when the Titler is opened.

But your details will define the actual situation so that we can resolve the issue.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Styles no longer work
              LostBewildered Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for your reply.

Apparently I am not describing my problem very well. I will attempt to be more precise.

Assume that I am working on a project in Expert mode. Further, assume that I have placed photos and video clips on my Timeline, and now I want to add some text. I almost always do this by clicking on “Titles & Text” in the Action bar. I select the General category.  I select Default Text (upper left) and drag it onto the Timeline.

This Default Text is now displayed in the Monitor panel. It always says "Add Text", and an Adjustments box appears to the right of the Monitor panel. Across the top of the Adjustments box are 4 rectangles which are labeled Text, Style, Animation, and Shapes. I click on Style. Now I can see lots of different text styles— Default Caslon Pro 68, Birch Black 80, Birch White 80, etc… I believe these are called swatches.

I choose one of them and click. This causes that swatch to be selected (it becomes surrounded by a blue frame). However, nothing happens to the text in the Monitor panel. I try several other styles and nothing happens to the text in the Monitor panel. Absolutely nothing.

I click on the box labeled “Text" at the top of the Adjustments box. I click on the big “T” in the Mode row. I then select all of the text in the Monitor panel by dragging across the text. I again click on the Style box and begin clicking on random various swatches. Nothing happens to the text in the Monitor panel. Absolutely nothing.

I silently curse all computers.

Thank you for any insights you may have. The above actions worked intuitively and flawlessly on PrE 11. (I’m going to experiment and see if this works in Quick mode).

LB

• 4. Re: Styles no longer work
                A.T. Romano Level 7

LostBewildered

I just did a step by step of your workshow. It should work as described whether you go through the Expert or Quick workspace drill for this. I did my run through with Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit.

If you find that to be so with your Mac computer environment, then let us look at the following:

1. Try creating your title from the Text Menu at the top of the Expert workspace. I am not expecting anything differently than what you have been getting.

2. Let us try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. I am strictly an Elements Windows person so you are going to have to translate the following into Mac language. In Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 64 bit, the path would be

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. In Windows, you need to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active to see the complete path.

I just got lucky and found this Adobe location for the preferences file for Windows and Mac. The information given for version 11 Mac should be the same as for your version 12 Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/preference-file-locations-photoshop-elements. html

Please let us know if any of the above helped. Are there are any other issues that you are having with the program?

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Styles no longer work
                  LostBewildered Level 1

Once again, thank you for looking at this.

I have interesting news— I switched to the Quick workspace and discovered that everything about Styles worked as it should!

I then switched back to the Expert workspace and Styles continued to work! Everything about Styles seems to work exactly as it did in PrE 11.

I don’t know what to think about this. I have been a software developer for many years and when things like this happen, I always feel nervous.

However, here is what I would like to do— I don’t know why things began working, but I am quite happy now that they are. So, unless you want me to go through the exercise of deleting the preferences file, I think I would like to wrap this up and pretend that it never happened.

Let me know what you think I should do.

Thanks.

LB

Is this applying Style to text the only problem that you are having with 12 on Mac at the present time?

Yes, this is the only problem I have noticed!

• 6. Re: Styles no longer work
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

LB

Bottom line "non technical" terminology...do not mess with a good thing.

Congratulations on your success and move forward to great projects.

I would not have expected the Quick workspace to behave any differently than the Expert workspace in this regard, but glad you tried. Recently a Premiere Elements user could not get Add Media to work. So, we tried cascading windows and dragging dropping the file into Project Assets from the computer desktop. Not only did that work, but somehow it  triggered the "real" Add Media to begin to work as expected.

But, those elusive whys make me nervous also.

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 7. Re: Styles no longer work
                      Demiru

I am currently working with the trial version of Premiere Elements 12 and have the same problem, styles do not work in expert mode.  They do, however... work in quick mode.  Good to know.

• 8. Re: Styles no longer work
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Demiru

Thanks for your observations.

Did the Styles in the Titler start to work in Expert after you went Quick workspace to Expert?

Are you comparing Quick and Expert or is the Guided choice involved in any of this?

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: Styles no longer work
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Demiru

Just a quick add on....I have used Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, and now 8.1 64 bit. I have not run into this issue of the Titler Styles not appearing in the Expert or Guided Expert workspaces.

What computer operating system are you running your Premiere Elements 12 on.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Styles no longer work
                            Demiru Level 1

Windows 7 64 bit

• 11. Re: Styles no longer work
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Demiru

Thanks for the additional information on your computer operating system on which you are running Premiere Elements 12 which does not display Titler Styles in the Expert workspace.

I am having my problems with Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8.1 64 bit, but not with Titler Styles. In my case, the Titler Styles are appearing in Export and Quick workspaces.

Best evaluate your situation before purchase. From what I have encountered, you need to get to Adobe within 30 days of purchase for any possibility of a refund.

Have you tried the original idea of going from Quick to Expert to trigger the Titler Styles to appear in Expert as was reported earlier in this thread? Also you might give a try to deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (settings file) found:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path.

Please let us know if any of that worked for you thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Styles no longer work
                                halenono

I found this post becuase I had a similar issue.  I could not change text styles in the Title editor while in Expert mode.  I changed to Quick mode and the style changer started to work.

I think this is definitely a bug and should be investigated so it can be fixed.

• 13. Re: Styles no longer work
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

halenono

Thanks for contributing to this thread.

Since this thread was first posted, the Expert workspace Titler Styles issue has been reported by many.

Based on all the information gathered to date, I would agree that there is an issue in Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace Titler Styles that is not seen in the Quick workspace Titler Styles.

Right now the answer seems to be to do the Titler Styles in Quick workspace if there exists the need to edit the text Style after Titler is closed with the original text with Style applied. That has been my conclusion as of now.

ATR

• 14. Re: Styles no longer work
                                    VDOSurfer Level 3

If the workaround is to switch from Expert->Quick->Expert, I guess there will be no fix for this even in the next version (and even if someone from Adobe reads this )