5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2013 9:07 AM by brian.little

Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 constantly crashes when importing video files

DopeCinema

I have not used Premiere Pro in a while, but recently when I tried to import video files (from .m4v, .mp4 and .mov) the program stops working, the "importing" window doesn't progress and I get the rainbow wheel of "death".

I read some other posts where some are having similar situations and some users suggested moving the file from an external hard-drive to an internal one (I have a 1TB external hard-drive) but that didn't do squat either.

Once the program is frozen I'm forced to "force quit" the program.

Does anyone know what I can do?

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 constantly crashes when importing video files
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Is any of this media original content from a supported camera?

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 constantly crashes when importing video files
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-PPro Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

Starting with Windows or Mac, and which version of the OS

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 constantly crashes when importing video files
              brian.little

I am having the same problems, but my program locks up when trying to playback .MTS files that are shot natively on my GH2.  It will not render or export anything & when you try and scrub or playback footage it gets the spinning wheel of death.  To finish my last project, I had to transcode all the .MTS files to .MP4 files and it worked fine.  Also, anytime I shut down PP, I have to force quit the program for it to shut down.  Here are the detailed info you asked for...

• What version of Premiere Pro? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Pro CS5.5 with the 5.5.2 update).
                • Premiere Pro CC (trial) 7.1.0 - 141 (because I uninstalled CS5, 5.5, & 6 thinking they may be the problems.
              • Have you installed the recent updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)
                • YES, up to date
              • What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac”.
                • OSX 10.9
              • What kind(s) of source footage? When telling about your source footage, tell us about the codecs, not just the container types. For example, "H.264 in a .mov container", not just "QuickTime”.
                • .MTS files from a GH2
              • If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?
                • It tells me that it is an unknown error (I do not have a copy of the original error message)
              • What were you doing when the problem occurred?
                • Trying to playback (wheel of death), Trying to Render and export (starts rendering, then just sits there and then gives the unknown error)
              • Has this ever worked before?
                • I have worked on this projects for a few months, then just out of the blue it started with these problems about 1 week ago.
              • What other software are you running?
                • none
              • Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed?
                • some from Video Copilot and Plural eyes 3 (NOT used on this project)
              • Tell us about your computer hardware. Be especially certain to tell us about third-party I/O hardware (e.g., AJA, Matrox, Blackmagic, MOTU).
                • iMac 27in Mid 2011 3.4 Intel Core i7 16 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 AMD Radeon HD6970M 2048 MB OSX 10/9 (13A603)
                • No external devices, except a external hard drive.  I changed from a Thunderbolt Seagate 1TB (single 7200 RPM) to a Drobo Mini 2 TB RAID 5 in the MIDDLE of this problem, thinking the issue was the drive was to slow to keep up - NOT the case… it still happens with the new drive.
              • Are you using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration?
                • I am not completely sure to be honest - I believe it is the factory settings.
              • Does the problem only happen with your final output, with previews, or both?
                • both!
              • 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 constantly crashes when importing video files
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>OSX 10.9

Is that aka Mavericks?

If yes, Go to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere and, in the area just under Ask a Question, type in

mavericks

You may now read all the previous discussions on this subject... be sure to click the See More Results at the bottom of the initial, short list if the initial list does not answer your question

I am Windows so did not bookmark the message, but at least one message thread has a possible solution for SOME mavericks problems

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 constantly crashes when importing video files
                  brian.little Level 1

Thank you John, and the answer is YES, it is Mavericks - but the problem actually started before I put that OS on the Mac.  I acutally upgraded it to see if I could get rid of the problem.  To be completely honest, I don't remember the OS number before I upgraded.  The funny thing is that everything was working fine with this problem before, and then just started out of the blue - I am 99.9% sure there were no updates happening with my system.