7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2013 1:21 AM by Dov Isaacs

Hebrew text processing

gohebrew1390 Level 1

How do I create the settings for Hebrew (right-to-left) text processing?

• 1. Re: Hebrew text processing
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

What version of InDesign are you running? And what language interface? If you are on the subscription plan for InDesign 8 (CS6) or have the Creative Cloud (InDesign 9), you can install the English - Hebrew version which has all the UI features you need for Hebrew (or actually any RtoL languages) either by itself or mixed with other language text.

Earlier versions of InDesign (down to InDesign 7) require a third-party plug-in such as World Tools to get at these features.

- Dov

• 2. Re: Hebrew text processing
            gohebrew1390 Level 1

Dov,

I have InDesign CC version 9 (creative cloud). This has an English interface. It is a downloaded trial of InDesign CC.

I used for many years InDesign CS2 ME through CS5 ME, which has been discontinued.

How do I install the English - Hebrew version? After I do this, how do I install a Hebrew languagee interface?

Message was edited by: gohebrew1390

• 3. Re: Hebrew text processing

OK. The first thing you do is to uninstall InDesign 9.

If you want the English-Hebrew version (the equivalent of the old ME versions), you change the language preference in the Adobe installer to English-Hebrew and then reinstall InDesign. If you want only Hebrew, you set the language preference to Hebrew.

(I assume that this is being installed by the Adobe Application Manager for the Creative Cloud!)

- Dov

PS:     Same procedure for Illustrator and Photoshop!

• 4. Re: Hebrew text processing
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hebrew only? Is that something new? I'm pretty sure that when CC was

launched there was no option any more for a Hebrew interface.

• 5. Re: Hebrew text processing
                  gohebrew1390 Level 1

Dov,

Thank you for your help. I know that many peoplewill benefit from these instructions.

First, do I deinstall ID CC from my Windows 8 computer?

Second, how do I find or download "the language preference in the Adobe installer:" and set it "to English-Hebrew and then reinstall InDesign". I no longer see the Adobe Application Manager for the Creative Cloud.

Wouldn't it be more usser friendly to have a single download of ID CC, and then do all this in the settings, eg. by clicking Arabic and/or Hebrew etc.?

• 6. Re: Hebrew text processing
                    gohebrew1390 Level 1

I believe that Ariel is asking about a Hebrew language interface (ie. menus etc.) for users of Hebrew only, Hebrew/English, Hebrew/Arabic, Arabic/English, etc.

Dov, is this possible?

• 7. Re: Hebrew text processing

Quite honestly, I don't know how InDesign 9 as a standalone application installs.

I do know that if you have the full Creative Cloud, the desktop Creative Cloud installer, you set the preferences for the language and when you next request an install, it downloads and installs that version of the application:

CCLangPref.png

There is apparently no pure Hebrew or Arabic UI at this point, only those with English.

- Dov