9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 6:11 AM by A.T. Romano

Start up error with Premiere Elements 7

Sterculias

When I start Premiere Elements 7 I get this message.

[..\..\Src\DirectoryRegistry.ccp-283]

I can just see the Splash screen behind this error message but when I accept this message the computer shuts PE7 down completely.

I am using a quad 4 processor with Windows 7

Any suggestions please.

Regards,

Dougt

• 1. Re: Start up error with Premiere Elements 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What operating system are you using?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's instructions?

Did the program ever work on this operating system or is this a new install?

• 2. Re: Start up error with Premiere Elements 7
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Two related things to test

Right click the program icon and select WinXP compatibility mode from the popup

Right click the program icon and select Run as Administrator from the popup

• 3. Re: Start up error with Premiere Elements 7
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Sterculias

If you have Premiere Elements 7 on Windows 7 64 bit, then try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file which can be found in the path of

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 7.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 7.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the whole path.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Start up error with Premiere Elements 7
                Sterculias Level 1

Hi John,

Thank you for your assistance.

PE7 has been running on this computeron Windows 7  for about 3 years, and it was OK about a month ago when I last used the program.

I tried running it in Admin mode but it didn't help.

I have since been told by a friend who had a similar problem and apparently the problem is related to permissions and a corrupt registry.  To do this I would require professional help.

Regards,

Dougt.

• 5. Re: Start up error with Premiere Elements 7
                  Sterculias Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

As in my original posting I am using Windows 7 and PE7 has been running on this computer for nearly 3 years without any problems.

Yes quicktime is updated automatically.

Cheers,

Dougt.

• 6. Re: Start up error with Premiere Elements 7
                    Sterculias Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

I did as you said and that was not successful but I now get another error message

"Error 1325  is not a valid short file name"

Cheers,

Dougt

• 7. Re: Start up error with Premiere Elements 7
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Dougt

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news was not better. But do not give up.

After I saw your message, I did some Google searching. The following is some of what I found

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/windows-installer-error-1 325-documents-is-not-a/d70411d0-017d-41f0-b5b4-0861b6ca9955

I have some further suggestions which you might consider. If you have professional help, then best let it handle the overall situation, especially if it is going to take you into the Registry where you might not feel comfortable.

My suggestion would be to uninstall Premiere Elements 7, do a run through with ccleaner (regular clearner and registry cleaner parts) and then reinstall Premiere Elements 7. Many have used ccleaner with pros and no cons. In the registry cleaning part, there is a step for you to backup the registry in a file saved to Documents or wherever you want on the computer hard drive.

But, go with what you feel comfortable doing. If you have Premiere Elements 7 projects in the works and can get into Premiere Elements, you may want to Project Archive them for safe keeping.during this time whether you run the ccleaner or not.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Start up error with Premiere Elements 7
                        Sterculias Level 1

Thank you for the follow up.

I also found some info on the 1325 error and I found the out the problem could be with the Windows Installer, a corrupt registry and the file permissions. 

I must have been having a senior moment as I forgot to reboot the computer after deleting the Pref.  files and re-installing PE7 in Admin.  After the re-boot PE7 installed without any errors and is working as normal.  I have had problems before with the permissions and I suspect this was the cause as PE7 still won’t run under the “User account”  as I still get an error  code

After searching the web I think  general consensus of opinion is this error is still related to the permissions.  Maybe it is time I took the computer down to our local computer tech.

Cheers,

Dougt.

• 9. Re: Start up error with Premiere Elements 7
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dougt

Sounds like good progress. Thanks for the update.

Please update us on further developments with the local computer tech shop as well as trying that ccleaner for optimizing the computer. I have no promotional interests in the product, but I have been using it for a long time, it has been doing a good job for my computers with regular cleaning as well as registry cleaning.

Thanks.

ATR