13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2013 12:22 PM by stevewalterphoto RSS

Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?

kayempee Community Member

I am running Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS6. I have been getting the error message that I need the camera raw plug-in 8.2 to run CS6 (Canon Eos 5D Mk III). I cannot open raw files directly into Photoshop, and Lightroom is not working to edit file in Photoshop as I have started loading all my photos onto a NAS (which seems now to have been a total waste of time). I hope to get a better Thunderbolt system in the next few months but this was a short term solution to the number of external drives that I had accumulated.

Back to the problem- the plug-in does not appear when I run updates in CS6, yet I need the plug-in, and I cannot seem to find somewhere to download it independently. This is very frustrating with many files to process. I have just updated to Mavericks as the desktop could not run LR5 (ughhh) this has been a trial.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?
          Mylenium ACP/MVPs

ACR is version specific. You can never install 8.2 with PS CS6.

Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras

Camera Raw-compatible Adobe applications

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?
            JimHess MVP

Mylenium wrote:

ACR is version specific. You can never install 8.2 with PS CS6.

Mylenium

Where did that information come from?  I'm running Camera Raw 8.2 with Photoshop CS6.  It will run, it just won't show the new controls that were added in 8.2.  This is well documented.  I can't believe someone with your status is giving such information.  The list that you provided a link to is pathetically out of date.

• 3. Re: Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?
              ssprengel MVP

Adobe updates the current versions of PS with the new version of ACR.  Both PS-CS6 and PS-CC are current PS versions so both run ACR 8.2.

• 5. Re: Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?

Why does it say that it is required?

Basically CS6 cannot read the raw files from my canon dos 5D Mk III. Every time I try to export from lightroom it says I need the 8.2 camera raw plug-in……….. I have to say “open anyway” but it will not operate on this computer that way (the files will not open).

As I have just put over 1TB of photos onto a NAS drive, I also cannot open the files on CS6.

It all seems like such a lot of nonsense……. The software states that I need the plugin and that it will automatically come in the download in CS6. It does not show up in CS6- so where would I find it?

How am I supposed to know what should or should not happen? I am just pointing out the frustrations of software ‘stating’ what is required, how it will be resolved, but then not actually working.

• 6. Re: Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?
                  JimHess MVP

Did you go to the link that I provided in message 4?  That should allow you to download the Camera Raw 8.2 installation package.  But after you download it, you still must run the installation package in order to install the plug in.

• 7. Re: Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?
                    JimHess MVP

As I read your question again, it sounds as if you are a relatively new Lightroom user.  Lightroom displays that message whenever the Camera Raw you are using is not synchronized with Lightroom.  When you receive that message, one of your options is to render a copy with Lightroom adjustments.  That will create a tiff or PSD file (depending on your preference setting) and will send that file to Photoshop.  That file will include all the adjustments that you made in Lightroom.  It is a good choice, and one that you should experiment with.  If you go to the link that I provided you can download the installation package for camera raw 8.2 and install it.  Then it won't be necessary to create the file until the end of the Photoshop session.  In either case, there will be a new file when you are finished using Photoshop.

• 8. Re: Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?

Hello

I have been using Lightroom since it was first created. I am a very experienced Lightroom user, and I just updated to version 5 with my new Canon Eos 5D Mk II (I have used every 5 series camera too).

THERE IS NO LINK AVAILABLE FOR THIS AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM. CS6 SAYS IT IS UP TO DATE, LIGHTROOM SAYS IT IS NOT.

LIGHTROOM SAYS THAT I NEED THAT FILE. I HAVE BEEN SELECTING ‘IGNORE’ OR RENDER WITH LIGHTROOM ADJUSTMENTS DEPENDING ON THE COMPUTER THAT I AM ON.

What I don’t understand is why is lightroom saying that i need the plug-in for my camera, CS6 says my software is up to date, and mostly THERE IS NO PLACE WHERE I CAN SIMPLY  DOWNLOAD THE PLUG-IN TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

I am mostly annoyed about the last part- there is no place to simply download the plugin- hence I am writing here, and from what I have read online I am not the only person with this complaint. When I get a moment I will try the link to download it, but as I mentioned, why is it not available as there is obviously a glitch here.

Obviously I am a very frustrated user because the software is not updating and your site does not have the download available so the problem can be simply fixed. I find it a little offensive that you would suggest that I have the problem, and that I don’t know how to use the software, when I am pointing out clearly that there is a software issue here. And trust me, i understand the difference in the options but the fact the plugin does not show up as an update in CS6 (where you say it will be and how it should be installed), is the real issue.

• 9. Re: Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?
                        JimHess MVP

In Photoshop, if you go to Help/About Plug-Ins and click on Camera Raw, what version does Photoshop report that you are using? If it is earlier than 8.2 then you need to download the latest version. Have you read the previous messages in this thread? I provided a link that will enable you to download Camera Raw 8.2. Their have been a few people who have reported that the automatic update didn't work for them. You are one of them. If you go to the link I provided previously, you will be able to download the installer that will install Camera Raw 8.2. So I will ask you again, did you go to the link that I provided and download the Camera Raw 8.2 installer? Did you run the installer? If those kinds of questions annoy you then I don't know how to help you. It's fine that you are an informed user. But we have to ask certain questions to ensure that we are on the same page.

The reason you are getting that message in Lightroom is because Lightroom is running with the same new adjustments that were made available in Camera Raw 8.2. And Lightroom is warning you that it's possible that, since you are running an older version of Camera Raw, all of the adjustments that you made may not be transferred to Photoshop. If you will follow the link and download and install the new version of Camera Raw that message will go away.

• 10. Re: Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?
                          JimHess MVP

Kayempee  wrote:

THERE IS NO PLACE WHERE I CAN SIMPLY  DOWNLOAD THE PLUG-IN TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

Then, what is this link for? I posted it previously but, HERE IT IS AGAIN!!

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5645

There ought to be a way someone could find these plug-ins on the Internet.Wait, there is! Google has this amazing search feature. I typed in, "Adobe Camera Raw 8.2 update Mac" and guess what!

• 11. Re: Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?
                            stevewalterphoto Community Member

I'm having the same issue. I can't update from CS6, the menu is grayed out. I have the latest version of lightroom as well. I DID run the installer for 8.2. It's seems to only update the DNg converter. My camera raw version is 7.2.

I was able to acheive that buy finding this: http://thaiphotos.blogspot.com/2012/10/camera-raw-7.2-manual-file-download.html

I haven't been able to fine one for 8, or 8.2.

Any ideas?

Thx.

• 12. Re: Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?
                              Ashutosh.Nigam Adobe Employee

Try downloading the patcher from the link provided, and install it manually.

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date .html#notconnected

@stevewalterphoto,

Are you in an enterprise enviroment?

Regards,

Ashutosh

• 13. Re: Why won't photoshop CS6 download camera raw 8.2?
                                stevewalterphoto Community Member

Cool, thanks. I'll give this a try.