7 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2016 12:12 PM by MichelBParis

How do I get more graphics (frames, backgrounds) for PSE 12?

Renee366

I just upgraded to Photoshop Elements 12 and find that there are much fewer frames and backgrounds than there were in version 9. Is there any way to add more of them?

• 1. Re: How do I get more graphics (frames, backgrounds) for PSE 12?
          R_Kelly Adobe Community Professional

If you start pse 12 with the internet already on, eventually you'll see some little Blue triangles at the top right of the different patterns, frames and graphics.

Then open an image and double click on the ones you want and you should see a dialog saying Downloading Asset.

Unfortunatly, you have to do this for each one.

Untitled-1.png

• 2. Re: How do I get more graphics (frames, backgrounds) for PSE 12?
            Renee366 Level 1

Okay, now I see them, these extra ones weren't there when I first opened the program. Thanks!

• 3. Re: How do I get more graphics (frames, backgrounds) for PSE 12?
              merlintx

I have a related question about Graphic Frames in Photoshop Elements. Is there a way to create my own Graphic Frames that would work the same way as the ones that come with Photoshop Elements? That is an image can be dragged and dropped into a frame the same as Graphics Frames?

• 4. Re: How do I get more graphics (frames, backgrounds) for PSE 12?
                MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

merlintx wrote:

I have a related question about Graphic Frames in Photoshop Elements. Is there a way to create my own Graphic Frames that would work the same way as the ones that come with Photoshop Elements? That is an image can be dragged and dropped into a frame the same as Graphics Frames?

My suggestion would be to use an image of an existing rectangular frame or a frame from your own creation.

You select the canvas rectangle within the frame and paste it to a new layer (Ctrl J). This will act as a clipping mask.

You open the image to fit inside of the frame in the photo bin and drag it over the canvas copy as a third layer.

You clip the new image to the second layer (Ctrl G) and use the move tool to resize and move to the right position.

In this case, I used a frame from a canvas by Monet in the Musée d'Orsay and inserted a photo I took in the same museum.

Of course, that solution keeps the lenght/width ratio of the existing frame.

IMG_7710-copie.jpg

• 5. Re: How do I get more graphics (frames, backgrounds) for PSE 12?
                  MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Now, if you want to frame an existing photo with your frame photo while keeping the original frame ratio, the process could be:

- resize the canvas of the picture to be framed (140% or more)

- open the frame picture in the photo bin. If it's a psd with transparency, ok, otherwise, change the background to a regular layer, select the inside of the frame and delete.

- The picture to be framed  being active in the editing space, drag the frame from the photo bin over it.

- use the move tool on the frame to stretch and resize it around the picture to frame.

- flatten and crop

MichelBParis wrote:

merlintx wrote:

My suggestion would be to use an image of an existing rectangular frame or a frame from your own creation.

You select the canvas rectangle within the frame and paste it to a new layer (Ctrl J). This will act as a clipping mask.

You open the image to fit inside of the frame in the photo bin and drag it over the canvas copy as a third layer.

You clip the new image to the second layer (Ctrl G) and use the move tool to resize and move to the right position.

In this case, I used a frame from a canvas by Monet in the Musée d'Orsay and inserted a photo I took in the same museum.

Of course, that solution keeps the lenght/width ratio of the existing frame.

IMG_7701b.jpg

the frame is stretched and the picture shown entirely, but in most cases the result will be acceptable.

• 6. Re: How do I get more graphics (frames, backgrounds) for PSE 12?
                    hatstead Adobe Community Professional

merlintx wrote:

You can make your own frames in PSE. Try this:

1. Open the image file
                    2. Duplicate the background layer, shut off the visibility of the background layer. Work on the background copy layer.
                    3. Go to Select>all or CTRL+A
                    4. Open a blank layer above the Background copy layer (Layer 1)
                    5. With Layer 1 active, go to Edit>Stroke(outline) selection. Make the stroke 25 px wide (experiment), position inside, color does not matter. ok it.
                    6. Open the Effects palette, and in the drop-down, select Patterns. I used the Wood pattern. Apply
                    7. Still in the Effects palette, select Bevels in the drop-down>Scalloped Edge. Apply
                    8. Close the Effects palette.
                    9. Back in the Layers palette, double click the f on Layer 1 to open Style settings. Adjust the bevel with the slider

lenny_2.jpg

• 7. Re: How do I get more graphics (frames, backgrounds) for PSE 12?
                      merlintx Level 1

Thanks for the info. I was aware about using a clipping masks, but I was wondering if there was a way to create a custom frame that would show up in the Graphic panel to use along with the rest of the frames that came with Elements 14. So guess I’ll just stick with using a clipping mask.

Tks..

Rod