13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 7:09 AM by A.T. Romano

"Media not present"

B&B Productions Level 1

Hi all!

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I am having trouble with publishing and sharing to Blu-ray disc.

I had completed editing 2.5 hours of HD footage which I published and shared to a double sided DVD (8.7GB). The video quality was poor so I decided to burn to Blu-ray instead. I installed a new DVD writer that was capable of doing this. Now I have two DVD writers currently in place:

• ATAPI iHAS124   W SCSI CdRom Device (Lite-On)
      • HL-DT-ST BD-RE   BH16NS40 SCSI CdRom Device (LG)

Unfortunately when I attempted to publish and share my footage for the second time, the Blu-ray disc was not identified - it said "Media not present" although the writer was functioning normally otherwise. I disabled the Lite-On and uninstalled its driver using Computer Management, however it still appears as an option in Adobe Premiere Elements when trying to burn a DVD! Should I uninstall and reinstall Adobe Premiere Elements to rectify this, or could my issue be something other than having two DVD writers?

Please let me know if you need any more details. Cheers!

• 1. Re: "Media not present"
          A.T. Romano Level 7

B&B Productions

Are both these drives internal? Leave the Lite-On disabled or removed for now.

Have you looked at another brand of Blu-ray disc? What type of Blu-ray disc? What are you using BD-R or BD-RE (25 GB)?

If a change of disc has no effect, then

Deactivate the program from an opened project via Help Menu/Deactivate...close out of there.

Uninstall via the typical Control Panel route.

Do a ccleaner run through (regular and registry parts)

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Reinstall the program with anti-virus and firewalls disabled via the Action Center.

Before all that, you could consider deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

Local Disk C

Users
          Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

More later.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: "Media not present"
            B&B Productions Level 1

Thanks for your reply ATR.

Both of the drives are internal. I've been trying with 25GB TDK BD-R discs. I'll try with Sony/Panasonic discs, or uninstallation if necessary, and then report back!

• 3. Re: "Media not present"
              A.T. Romano Level 7

B&B Productions

Thanks for the follow up. Looking forward to your results.

I am posting the following for informational rather than promotional reasons.

I have an internal LG Blu-ray DVD (12X BD-R writing speed) burner for several years now on Windows 7 64 bit and have never gotten a Media Not Present message with the Blu-ray discs that I use. They are:

Verbatim

BD-RE

25 GB

2X

Vertbatim

BD-R

25 GB

6X

This LG is the only burner on this Windows 7 64 bit computer.

ATR

• 4. Re: "Media not present"
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Blu-ray disc was not identified

As a test... set your Share output to a folder on your hard drive and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write the folders or to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

If that works, you at least have a way to complete your project, even if not directly from PreElements

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons

• 5. Re: "Media not present"
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

There is no burn to folder for Premiere Elements (any version) for Blu-ray. Yes, for DVD-VIDEO on DVD and AVCHD on DVD however. This appears to be a relevant point since the user is having problems with Blu-ray, not DVD or AVCHD.

I have written about Blu-ray and substitute for the non-existing burn to folder for it. The substitute deals with disc image created with Premiere Elements in conjunction with the Phantom Burner.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/11/pe12-disc-imagephantom-burner-pe.html

ATR

• 6. Re: "Media not present"
                    B&B Productions Level 1

No luck ATR. According to the user manual for the LG, Sony or Panasonic are the preferred discs so I tried 25GB Sony BD-R discs and it still says "Media not present." What should I try next?

The Lite-On still appears as an option when trying to burn a DVD even after the registry clean and uninstall/reinstall. I also noticed that the burner location reads "F HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40" without a colon (F: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40) when trying to burn a Blu-ray. Could this indicate a potential issue?

• 7. Re: "Media not present"
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

B&B Productions

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news is not better, but....

Have you confirmed that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on that computer? And, the other part of the usual drill "Are you running Premiere Elements as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?"

Have you tried deactivate (in open project Help Menu/Deactivate), close out of opened project/program, followed by uninstall usual Control Panel route, followed by ccleaner run through (regular and registry), followed by reinstall?

Please review, consider, and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: "Media not present"
                        B&B Productions Level 1

ATR

I have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the computer. I only have one User Account which is the Administrator. I did deactivate, close out of the opened project, uninstall via the Control Panel route, carry out the ccleaner run through and then reinstall. There has been no change.

I did rectify another issue though. In my last post I mentioned that the Lite-On was still appearing as option when trying to burn a DVD. I went back to Computer Management and noticed that it had drive had reverted to being enabled so I disabled it once again. Now it does not appear as an option when trying to burn a DVD. I inserted a blank DVD into the LG and I am able to burn a DVD using Adobe Premiere Elements 11. However when I insert a Blu-ray into the LG, I still cannot burn a Blu-ray using Adobe Premiere Elements 11. The only difference I notice is that the Burner Location reads "F: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40" when trying to burn a DVD whereas it reads "F HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40" (note there is no colon) when trying to burn a Blu-ray.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

B&B Productions

• 9. Re: "Media not present"
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

B&B Productions

I am not sure what to make of the difference in name of the burner, but nothing should be left unexplored. The least likely often becomes the answer. So, taking no chances...

If you have not already, explore Computer/Manage/Storage/Disk Management (based on Windows 7 64 bit) to see how the drives are listed there.

More tomorrow.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like progress.

ATR

• 10. Re: "Media not present"
                            B&B Productions Level 1

Screenshot.jpg

ATR

As you can see the drives are listed as above. In my opinion, "F:" is necessary for the drive to be recognised by Adobe Premiere Elements 11. Is there any way to change the Burner Location in Adobe Premiere Elements 11?

Looking forward to your assistance.

B&B Productions

• 11. Re: "Media not present"
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

B&B Productions

I could have sworn that I replied to your last post a few minutes ago, but I do not see it.

I was replying to your question

Is there any way to change the Burner Location in Adobe Premiere Elements 11?

If Adobe Premiere Elements 11 recognized your burner, it will be included in the Burner Location: field of the Burn Dialog. The only way to change what is in the Burner Location field is either

a. install a new burner and hope that it will be recognized by the program

b. remove a burner from the computer.

You can change what you see in Burner Location by going through the list of choices at the spot and selecting from alternative choices. Judging from your Disc Management screenshot, I would be expecting to see just that burner that represents the F drive. If you attached a USB external Blu-ray burner, that would be expected to show up in the field as an alternative choice to the F drive. You set the Burner Location field for whichever burner you want to use but is in that list.

Is that what you meant?

ATR

• 12. Re: "Media not present"
                                B&B Productions Level 1

ATR

I did not have success burning the project through Adobe Premiere Elements 11 directly, so I used the instructions in your blog (http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/11/pe12-disc-imagephantom-burner-p e.html) which worked!

Thank you very much for all your help!

B&B Productions

• 13. Re: "Media not present"
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

B&B Productions

Thanks for the follow up and the great news that the disc image approach worked for you to get your Blu-ray disc end product.

I find it interesting that your Premiere Elements 11 recognized the virtual Phantom Burner and its virtual BD-RE disc but not your real burner and real Blu-ray discs. If I read that right, I wonder if reinstalling the Blu-ray burner would be of any help?

Am I correct in recalling that you were at the point where the real burner was recognized by Premiere Elements 11 but none of your real Blu-ray discs were?

If you have the time, it would be interesting to learn of your further developments with burn to in Premiere Elements 11.

Glad that you are moving forward in the project.

Thanks.

ATR