8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 5:03 AM by PeterLanister

h.264 codec wont work properly

PeterLanister Level 1

Hello Ladys and Gentlemen,

imagine you have Premiere Pro and just one picture (JPG) as a still and an audiomix (1 1/2 Hour as mp3 320 kbit) underlayed.

Now you export it with the h.264 codec and 5 Mbit max videolevel.

Ok, all went fine and the videofile is just 265 mb.

Now the same with Premiere Pro CC. But the output file is much more larger! It´s now 3GB!

What went wrong with the codec?

Regards

Peter

• 1. Re: h.264 codec wont work properly
          PeterLanister Level 1

Anybody any idea? I mean in prior versions all went well but now you have such big output files.

When i shrink down the videolevel to lets say 3-4 Mbit then i have 1500Mb (1280*720) But the pic

is unsharp. In earlier version of PP i had only 200-400 Mb and all went fine. So why is this???

I need this for uploading Youtube Videos to my channel.

• 2. Re: h.264 codec wont work properly
            Jim_Simon Level 8

The formula is simple.

Bitrate x Duration = File Size.

• 3. Re: h.264 codec wont work properly
              PeterLanister Level 1

If this were true this would be easy.

5Mbit x 120 minutes = 600 Mb  < ------ This would be ok

The truth is the file is 3GB with similar setup like above

• 4. Re: h.264 codec wont work properly
                Jim_Simon Level 8

There are 60 seconds per minute, so 5 x 60 x 120.

• 5. Re: h.264 codec wont work properly
                  TeeKayCC Level 2

PeterLanister: One thing that stands out for me in your first post is "max videolevel"

Assuming you're referring to the H.264 Profile(Main/Baseline/High)/Level(1.0 to 5.1), you'll generally want to aim for the lowest level possible, while still meeting your dimension and bitrate requirements. H.264 Profiles and Levels are something I'd highly recommend looking at.

In your case, I'd expect that there is a mismatch between your settings in older Premiere Pro version and CC that you didn't notice. If you could give a complete readout (screenshots?) of all your video/audio settings in both pieces of software, that'd be helpful for us to try and help figure out exaclty what's causing you this issue.

• 6. Re: h.264 codec wont work properly
                    PeterLanister Level 1

Thanks a lot to Jim Simons and TeeKayCC,

@TeeKayCC i use always the predefined YouTube codecs in the dropdown list

When i use 1280 x 720p 25 frames and this works with the older version

i think this has to work too with Premiere Pro CC or am i wrong?

unfortunately the prior version of Premiere Pro is no longer existent

• 7. Re: h.264 codec wont work properly
                      TeeKayCC Level 2

I'm comparing the default "YouTube HD" preset from CS5 to the current "YouTube HD 720 23.976" preset in CC.

The biggest differences:

CS5 Audio:

Frequency: 44100 Hz

Bitrate: 64kbps

CC Audio:

Frequency: 48000 Hz

Bitrate: 320kbps

If you try decreasing the audio quality in the new CC preset to the CS5 preset specs, do you get the filesize you're looking for?

---

I'd recommend playing around with the video bitrate. Have a short sequence (30s, maybe) and try exporting out different bitrates, and see how low you can go while still getting a good looking picture.

Is there any animation at all, or is it a still image with no fades or anything? If so, you could drop the framerate down as low as it goes, and lower the output filesize even more.

• 8. Re: h.264 codec wont work properly
                        PeterLanister Level 1

Hello TeeKayCC,

i do render the audio File only with 44100 Hz and 192kbps

Adobes Hotline said that something goes wrong cause the size of the file is to much with a H.264 Codec.

They also say the video file size must be between 200-300 Mbyte and not nearly 3Gb.

I´ve only one HD Picture with no animation , no effects just a still.

It´s pretty weird to me.

Even with no picture Data you get horrible big files!

What happens when you do a render with just a still and some music. Do you get also those big files?