10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2015 4:02 PM by DM Larkin

Photoshop CC hangs randomly...

Syrax12 Level 1

I have been having a lot of problems with Photoshop CC hanging at random times, but usually when I am bringing up a dialog box, e.g. I go to Image>Image Size, the dialog comes up but I can't do anything. If I wait long enough, between 30sec to 1min, it unfreezes. I have this happen several times a day. Here are my computer specs:

Windows 7 SP1 (x64)

Photoshop 14.1.2 (x64)

8gigs of RAM

Intel Core i5-2400

AMD Radeon 6350

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC hangs randomly...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Could be anything from your graphics card memory not flushing and causing drawing issues to some process kicking in at certain intervals and exhausting your performance liek a virus scanner or Windows' System Restore.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC hangs randomly...
            Syrax12 Level 1

Any way I can test?

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC hangs randomly...
              Syrax12 Level 1

OK, today I found out some info. When it happens, memory usage jumps from 600-700meg to 1-1.5gig when frozen, when it finally unfreezes, it goes back to 600-700meg.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC hangs randomly...
                Syrax12 Level 1

Seriously?! No answers?! Thanks Adobe! You have our money, so what does it matter if you answer! It has now started eating up to 4gigs of RAM when it freezes. Photoshop CS6 NEVER did this! It happens sometimes if I'm switching from Photoshop to another program, sometimes when I try to select a menu item in Photoshop, sometimes when I'm trying to make a selection with the marquee tool. So it isn't one particular thing, the only constant factor in the problem is Photoshop!

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC hangs randomly...
                  Curt Y Level 7

Can you open the task manager and see if the use jumps for PS or some other program?

• 6. Re: Photoshop CC hangs randomly...
                    Syrax12 Level 1

It jumps for photoshop only. As I mentioned previously, it jumps from 600-700meg of RAM use to as high as 4gigs of RAM use, and this is JUST photoshop's RAM usage, no other programs.

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC hangs randomly...
                      Syrax12 Level 1

Still no suggestions? C'mon! Some of you guys are way better than Adobe support, I know there has to be someone who has some suggestions!

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC hangs randomly...
                        scottydiver

Syrax12 is not alone.

I run PS 13.0.5 at work and PS CC at home and both software periodically experience this "hang".

I've discovered that clicking back-and-forth from PS window to the desktop (or another program's open window) reduces the time that the software freezes. The issue does not seem to be connected to a specific operation, as I've had this happen when using the clone, patch, pen and selection tools, as well as, entering the liquify environment.

Both machines that I work on are Apple iMacs:

WORK

Processor  3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB

Software  OS X 10.9.3

Interface  Wacom PTK-640 (Intuos 4)

HOME

Processor   3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7

Memory   32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-4X8GB

Graphics   NVIDIAGeForceGTX780M 4GB GDDR5

Software  OS X 10.9.3

Interface  Wacom PTK-640 (Intuos 4)

Adobe, please advise.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CC hangs randomly...
                          rv_el

I am having this issue really badly. It can be with the open dialog but it can also be when i press my shortcut key for paint brush and start to paint. The entire program will hang for a very long time.  The cpu sits at 6% cpu usage (which is probably a single core operation on my machine) and the program says Not Responding. this can go on for like 5 minute before it comes back to life and quickly does the last operations I was putting into it.  This is super frustrating. 2014 has been the hardest version of PS to work with so far.  The hanging is killing production and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Everything else on the machine seems nice and stable. Stable Win 7 64.  3dsMax. Zbrush.  Knock on wood no show stoppers.....  This is possibly the first time in history that Photoshop has been the biggest trouble maker out of all my work packages. 

• 10. Re: Photoshop CC hangs randomly...
                            DM Larkin

If you have had it installed for some time and this just started happening, my first suspect would be to check how much environment space you have, and how full the cache-location drives are. I started crashing when my cache HDD (for me this was Drive E) was almost full and I didn't even realize it until Photoshop CC started to hang up.