6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 2:13 PM by TWsolange

Problems layout after placed text from Word

TWsolange Level 1

Hi there,

I'll try as good as possible to explain in english about my problem.

I'm placing text in indesign as follows :

file, place, i choose my word document, first column full, click on the red cross at the bottom, fill second column etc...etc..

In my paragh style I have : font, colour, ....and justify with last line aligned left.

Second step I do, because I want my columns at the bottom exactly the same, is :

Object, text frame options and vertical justification : align justify.

All seems fine until I take a closer look at my text. Here and there (not always and not really a logical explanation) a line has all the words on each other.....

so if I have this sentence : Asking help on the adobe forum, it looks like Askinghelpontheadobeforum....When adding spaces inbetween to correct, indesign sets large spaces between words, which is not beautiful either....(I have hyphenation 'off'...maybe that has somethint to do with it....)

Does anybody have any idea how I can avoid this ? Most of the time, I find them, but if I wouldn't notice this, text would be not so nice printed.

Any help or tips very welcome !

Thanks and greetz from Luxembourg,

Solange

• 1. Re: Problems layout after placed text from Word
          jmlevy Adobe Community Professional

Hi Solange,

Do you speak French? If the answer is yes, I suggest you to visit the French speaking forum.

I think that your problem comes from the fact that your text is justified and hyphenation is off. How many columns is there on your page? And why do jou vertically justify your text instead of aligning it on the baseline grid? And do you know that you could flow the entire text with a single click, rather than clicking on the overset icon pn each column?

• 2. Re: Problems layout after placed text from Word
            TWsolange Level 1

Hi !

Thanks for the quick reply.

My mothertongue is Flemish (similar to Dutch), French is ok, but I prefer English for all computer related problems ;-)

My page has two columns.

No, I didn't know about the flow the entire text with a single click. I'll have a closer look into that.

I'm quite new into Indesign..and there's so much to learn...

So, but for my problem, you think the hyphenation is the problem. I'll try putting this off and see if the problem still ocurs. Problem is that the one I'm helping for a book doesn't want hyphenation...

Thanks !

Solange

• 3. Re: Problems layout after placed text from Word
              jmlevy Adobe Community Professional
              So, but for my problem, you think the hyphenation is the problem. I'll try putting this off and see if the problem still ocurs. Problem is that the one I'm helping for a book doesn't want hyphenation...

You cannot expect to get a nice typesetting with justified text without hyphenation. This is very difficult to achieve.

Look at books and see : you won't find many books with justified text and no hyphens (exept books for children, but they are mostly left aligned). Above all, you will have to modify the letter spacing and word spacing settings in the justification dialog box to find the right one depending on the line length, font size, typeface…

• 4. Re: Problems layout after placed text from Word
                Mary Posner Level 3

You might also want to experiment with InDesign's Composer settings and see which gives you a better result. Under the definition for your applied paragraph style, click on Justification. Under "Composer" on that screen, you have the option to select either "Adobe Paragraph Composer" or "Adobe Single-line Composer."

• 5. Re: Problems layout after placed text from Word
                  TWsolange Level 1

Thank you all very much !

I will go deeper in all those tips tonight and let you know the results !

Solange

• 6. Re: Problems layout after placed text from Word
                    TWsolange Level 1

Sorry for the late reply with the results, but here it is :

I've put hyphenation back on, choose the correct language (it's German text and my Indesign was on English....which gave strange effects ;-)

I've also learned how to flow entire text with one click (thanks for mentioning that, quite helpful !)

Anyway, the results with hyphenation are much better now. I have to correct here and there but much less and the layout is indeed much nicer !

Still learning a lot in indesign ;-)

Thanks again and greetz from Luxembourg !

Solange