6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2013 12:12 PM by Todd_Kopriva Branched from an earlier discussion.

ray-tracing with AMD card

jpost-design Level 1

Just updated to this latest version and AE gave me an error message on launch. I'm copying this message to the After Effects blog page as well, in order to maximize the knowledge of this issue.

Upon launch I get a warning dialog of

"Ray-tracing on the GPU requires an NVIDIA approved graphics card and CUDA 5.0 or later. For now, ray-tracing will use the CPU.

For more information see: http://www.adobe.com/go/aeraytracedgpu"

I never had this problem before the last update.

I'm running OSX 10.8.5, MacBook Pro 15-inch late 2011 (version 8,2), AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

So any MacBook Pro, actually ANY computer, with a Radeon card will now encounter this error message.

I'm VERY disappointed Adobe would cut off such a large portion of its users in this way.

• 1. Re: Ray-tracing & GPU on 12.1
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jpost-design wrote:

So any MacBook Pro, actually ANY computer, with a Radeon card will now encounter this error message.

But Radeon cards have never worked with the ray-traced 3d renderer, so this is not new. The ray-traced 3d renderer works on NVIDIA technology that Radeon cards don't have.

• 2. Re: Ray-tracing & GPU on 12.1
            jpost-design Level 1

Hi Szalam,

If I'm understanding you right, ray-trace in AE always required an Nvidia card, and ray-tracing never supported Radeon cards, is that correct?

If so, that's interesting. I never got a warning from AE before about ray-tracing support on my Radeon until now.

• 3. Re: Ray-tracing & GPU on 12.1

Ray tracing does not require an NVIDIA card. GPU acceleration of the ray tracing does.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Ray-tracing & GPU on 12.1

In case you want a more official word on it than mine, read up on GPU features in AE here.

Something not mentioned there is that certain third-party plugins (such as Element) will make use of the GPU and it can make a big performance difference depending on what card you have. Element's rendering speed is insane considering how good the result can look. VideoCopilot (and any other third-party developer) should have a list on their site of what cards work well with their plugin.

• 5. Re: Ray-tracing & GPU on 12.1
                  jpost-design Level 1

Thank you Szalam, you have been infinitely more helpful than anyone at Adobe. I tried contacting Adobe thru the chat with an agent, chatted with 2 different agents that could not help me, then was promised a callback that I never received.

Adobe is quickly becoming the worst at customer service I have ever experienced.

I'm still perplexed why I never got this error message before, it seems according to the links you provided, its the way AE always worked. Strange.

Thank you for the suggestions for looking into plugins that can use my Radeon 6750M.

• 6. Re: Ray-tracing & GPU on 12.1
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I'm still perplexed why I never got this error message before, it seems according to the links you provided, its the way AE always worked.

It's because we added more informative messages to After Effects CC (12.1) to inform folks like you of what's going on.