12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2014 7:18 PM by mikefromoakland

adobe after effects not responding, ever!

genesisgenevieve

I have been having this issue for a long time and cant seem to find a solution, maybe I am wording it wrong, i dont know. It worked just fine for about a year, but now basically every single time I open adobe after effects cs5 it works for about 1-2 minutes and then freezes, the typical "this program is not responding" message shows up with no error code. it doesnt matter what I do or what I click on, it happens every single time! Its really frusterating! my computer has 32 gb, I'm sure that is plenty of RAM. I have done all the updates on the adobe website (including the quicktime updates) I saw OpenGL mentioned many times but I cant seem to find anything like that on my computer so I dont know if that is a problem or not. I noticed on the sytem requirements list (I have a windows 7 professional) they said that the processor must be Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® and my computer has intel (R) Xeon(R) cpu  5160 @   3.00GHZ  3.00 ghz (2 processors) I honestly have no idea if that would be a problem. If anyone else has had this issue I would love to hear how you fixed it, I have tried so many things chances are I already tried it but still.

• 1. Re: adobe after effects not responding, ever!
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We're going to need all of this info to be able to provide useful help. Please give specific and exact version numbers especially for After Effects, your OS, and your graphics card driver.

The Xeon is not a problem. The requirements are that it be Core 2 Duo or better. Modern Xeons are much better than a Core 2 Duo.

• 2. Re: adobe after effects not responding, ever!
            OzzyofLA Level 1

Have you tried reinstalling the Adboe Suite? What version are you running? You said this has happened for a long time, so I assume CS5 or 6? It sucks, but that may clear it up.

If you have reinstalled and this issue persists, we will need more info as Szalam said.

What EXACTLY happens when it crashes? Do you have to be doing something? Will it sit there and be ok, but then when you click "new comp" it crashes? ...you get the picture.

• 3. Re: adobe after effects not responding, ever!
              genesisgenevieve Level 1

okay sorry it took so long, this is my dads old computer so I had to keep calling him haha. so I literally anwered everything, I really want to find a solution!

1) adobe after effects cs5 with the 10.0.2 update
              2) on the adobe website it looks like this is the most recent update for cs5 on windows
              3) windows 7 professional 64 bit opetrating system
              4) intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU, 2 processors, 32 GB of ram, NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800, 2 disk drives, no external drives
              5) NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800
              I couldnt seem to find anything about CUDA , I googled it but couldnt find anything to tell me how to find out this info, if you know please let me know
              6) nvidia quadro fx 5800
              7) source footage is microsoft video AVI, with quicktime
              8) it was just the typical "this program is not responding, please wait for the program to respond" I let it run a couple times to see if it ever responded but it never did. but the last couple of times I opened AE it just freezes and no message shows up.
              9) it doesnt matter what I do, even if I just open it and let it sit there it still freezes up.
              10) it worked for about a year, I dont beleive anything major has changed on my computer, but I have been stuggling with this problem so long I wouldnt be able to remember anyways.
              11) yes quicktime is installed and updated, it is version 7.7.4
              12) I usually dont have anything else running other than AE
              13) I asked my dad about this and he said he didnt think so so I assume that means no.
              14) yes I have openGL enabled
              15) within the first two minutes of opening AE doesnt matter if I am editing, ram previewing, or nothing.
              16) I have tried checking and unchecking the "render multiple frames simultaneously multiprocessing" and the problem occurs either way, but right now I am using it.
              17) no use of ray traced 3d rendering
              18) not an out put problem
              19) exact sequence of steps? well... I click on adobe after effects, it opens kinda slower than it used to, then I usually will his ram preview because then I can see when it stops exactly, but I also have tried opening it and just looked at settings or preferences or what not and it would freeze then, or I will click on a diffrent compositions and it would freeze. pretty much whatever steps I take it always happens.

• 4. Re: adobe after effects not responding, ever!
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

How much free space do you have on your hard disk?

• 6. Re: adobe after effects not responding, ever!
                  OzzyofLA Level 1

Thanks for the info.

Is there any other program you can cause to crash? For example, if you watch a Quicktime movie, or flash video from the Internet... if you can crash your computer that way too, its a system or hardware issue.

Based on what you've said, there may be a corruption somewhere (system or AE) or a hardware failure. I had asked if you reinstalled the Adobe Suite... it really isn't pleasant, I know, but it would either clear up the issue (ie: corruption), or at a minimum, narrow down the possibilities for what is wrong.

• 7. Re: adobe after effects not responding, ever!
                    genesisgenevieve Level 1

yeah it only crashes on adobe after effects. it must be corruption with the program. So when you say adobe suite, do you mean reinstall all my adobe programs?

• 8. Re: adobe after effects not responding, ever!
                      OzzyofLA Level 1

I mention that because any shared resources would also be reinstalled... up to you.

• 9. Re: adobe after effects not responding, ever!
                        genesisgenevieve Level 1

just tried the reinstallation, no luck

• 10. Re: adobe after effects not responding, ever!
                          genesisgenevieve Level 1

hmm, well this just in, quicktime just crashed. So like you said its probably a sytem or hardware issue. Sorry I dont use quicktime itself often, I should have checked it more thouroughly but my other programs seem to work fine.

• 11. Re: adobe after effects not responding, ever!
                            OzzyofLA Level 1

Ok, well at least that is a normal problem to have then. I'm glad your other programs are alright, but obviously we want you to be up in running with AE.

Why done you check your ram first. http://www.memtestosx.org/

You should run the full test which may take 6 hours or longer. Read through the FAQs so you know what constitutes a memory error.

If nothing comes back on that, although I'd think your problem is most likely RAM, it may well be an overheating/hardware issue with the GPU. Do you have a monitor program for your system hardware like iStat? My GPU maxes out at 60 degrees celcius. Depending on the card, in the 80s is where I'd start to be concerned.