6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 5:21 AM by Steve Grisetti

Problems adding narrations using Elements 11 on Mac

LightsCamAction

I keep getting an error message saying I don't have any input channels and to go to the audio hardware and change it to default device to rectify this issue.  Well, I've tried...for the past hour and I keep getting an error message saying, "Ensure I have launched premiere elements in administration mode"? Whaaat???? I had my Logitech sound dock connected to my computer via usb but unplugged it.  Still, NOTHING! Premiere elements 11 has crashed on me a few times and now I wished I would have shelled out the $300 for FCP X.  At least I wouldn't be going thorugh this trouble w/ deadlines to meet.

• 1. Re: Problems adding narrations using Elements 11 on Mac
          A.T. Romano Level 7

LightsCamAction

I am strictly an Elements Windows person, but it has always been required that Premiere Elements be run as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Priviledges. What is your situation permissions wise on the Premiere Elements 11 Mac side of things.

When is Premiere Elements crashing on you...what are you doing in the program when the crashes occur? Is the issue always related to an audio issue?

On the Windows side, when I get that message, I go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware/ASIO settings and check the Input and Output settings there. Have you been there and done that with the Premiere Elements 11 Mac equivalent?

USB microphones have a history of problems with Premiere Elements (many versions). With regard to this Logitech sound dock and any associated USB microphone, is this "it never worked before" or " it worked before but not now" type of issue.

Please consider and then we can move forward based on your further details. And, just a just in case question...do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 11?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems adding narrations using Elements 11 on Mac
            LightsCamAction Level 1

This is my personal computer so "I" am the administrator and I have no idea why this software would ask that anyway.  Premiere Elements crashes when I import, crashes sometimes when I am rendering, or crashes sometimes just for GP. I appreciate your help but I don't need the "windows" side of things but the "mac" side, it's totally different.  My Logitech dock works fine, always has but this is not the issue and it's not currently connected. Everything on my computer is up to date, just updated to OS Mavericks and yes...premiere was crashing before I installed Mavericks, so that's not the issue either.  In a nutshell, I had to close premiere elements at least 8 times and restart it again.  On time number 8, no error and it finally let me do a voiceover. Last week I lost a project because premiere closed on me unexpectantly during a render.  Adobe really needs to up their game on a fix for Macs.  This program has been more trouble than it's worth.  Thanks for at least trying to resolve this.

• 3. Re: Problems adding narrations using Elements 11 on Mac
              A.T. Romano Level 7

LightsCamAction

Thanks for the reply. Sorry the news is not better.

Although Windows and Mac are indeed different, I tried to reach a common ground since the Premiere Elements worksflows are similar be they based on Windows or Mac (although Mac does seem to get short changed on some features here and there).

However since you said yourself you are getting messages to the effect

"Ensure I have launched premiere elements in administration mode"?

my suggestion about your permissions and Administrative Accounts was quite relevant since Premiere Elements has always been highly dependent on those factors as well as the latest version of QuickTime installed.

I am not sure how much help will be forthcoming from Adobe since it classically deals with current version and 12 is released, but you could try to contact Adobe through Adobe Chat and see how far you get.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=using-my-product-or-se rvice

When the link opens, click on "I still need help." to bring up the Adobe Chat pop up. I pre-selected the topic as "Using my product and service."

I did come across the following online discussion which sounds very close to your situation, Premiere Elements 11 Mac et al. In that case, a person identified as coming from Adobe stepped in. It is an 11 month old post with no posted conclusion. Nonetheless you might want to explore the contact cited at the end of the post.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/premiere_elements_11_for_mac_frequen tly_crashes_while_editing

By any chance was that you posting in that article?

Unlike that article, this is a user to user forum with no expected visits from Adobe.

We will watch for further developments.

Thanks again for the follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problems adding narrations using Elements 11 on Mac
                LightsCamAction Level 1

A.T.

Thanks for the links and I will check them out shortly.  This is my 1st time posting, just decided to try Adobe off of a recommendation from a bud of mine.  (Been a FCP baby for years).  I love premiere, it's more user friendly imo "when it works right".  I'll stick w/ premiere for now, hopefully you guys come out w/ a patch for mac soon.  Thanks again, really appreciate the customer service.

• 5. Re: Problems adding narrations using Elements 11 on Mac
                  VDOSurfer Level 3

For adding narrations, there needs to be a designated audio input "according to Premiere Elements". This is set in the preferences. Go to the Audio Hardware settings in the preferences and you should select the one  that makes sense for you. on my iMAC, I have set it to "Built-in Microphone/Built-in Output". that works fine for narration.

• 6. Re: Problems adding narrations using Elements 11 on Mac
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I've created a free tutorial at Muvipix.com that shows you how to configure your microphone to work with Premiere Elements narration tool.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=configuring+audio&btn.x=13&btn.y=15