6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 3:32 PM by rholsonbake

My PC shuts down during render after CC update

rholsonbake

Hello all,

I just rendered a video last week with no issues. I updated After Effects CC a few days ago and now my PC shuts off about half way through a render. It is only a ten second clip with very little effects in it.

I have tried different video formats and codecs, I also tried to render the project in Media Encoder and Premiere Pro...the same result. My system is fine and I was rendering videos no problem until this update. Can we roll back updates?

I can't get through to Adobe to get help so I am trying the forum. This video is due tomorrow so I will probably lose a lot of money and a client.

• 1. Re: My PC shuts down during render after CC update
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with your upgrade woes.  

But you now know why you don't mess with your machine until the job is DONE.  It's a hard lesson.

• 2. Re: My PC shuts down during render after CC update
            OzzyofLA

Hi, I'd suggest offering up more information for us to help you out, but try this:

If you still have the CS6 version of your file, good. Keep that. If you trashed it and didnt empty the trash yet, pull it out! The CC version should have a 'converted' in the file name or something like that to differentiate it.

- Then create a BS test file and render it out.

- If that works, start another one but this time make sure you use the same plugins as you did in your clients file.

- Report back here with those results.

If both tests work and your file doesn't... its likely corrupted somehow. You could re-open the CS6 version and allow it to convert again, redo the work you've lost (test render along the way to make sure all is well) and Tadaaa...

If its a TON of work and you dont have time for that, perhaps a reinstall of AE is a good idea. The download will take 30 minutes to an hour I'd guess and then you have a good shot of clearing up any issues associated with your update. As Dave said, DONT update mid-project if it can be avoided. Killer mistake. If you have your CS6 discs you can always reinstall that, but I don't think you can open your CC file on CS6, so you'd have to redo whatever work you did after you updated.

Hope some of that helps.

• 3. Re: My PC shuts down during render after CC update
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Another suggestion just to get a rendered file out of it: Try rendering as an image sequence. When/if it crashes, restart the rendering from the frame it crashed on. Then keep doing that until you have all the frames. Then you can bring that image sequnce into Premiere as a video file to add any audio you need and to render it out.

• 4. Re: My PC shuts down during render after CC update
                rholsonbake Level 1

I have been using AE CC since July, I meant that the program updated from 12.0 to 12.1 and this issue started happening. So there isn't a CS6 version at all. I can render an image seq repeatedly, but this is a huge pain for a ten second clip. I am going to go through tech support to see if we can find a solution. I may have to reinstall. I will update after tech support call.

Thank you for the suggestions.

• 5. Re: My PC shuts down during render after CC update
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

rholsonbake wrote:

I can render an image seq repeatedly, but this is a huge pain for a ten second clip.

My image sequence suggestion was only for a short-term fix so that you could get your project done. You said that the video is due today and you didn't want to lose a client and a lot of money. Sure, it may be a pain, but I figured it would be worth it to not lose the client. Of COURSE you should carry on troubleshooting.

• 6. Re: My PC shuts down during render after CC update
                    rholsonbake Level 1

I do appreciate the suggestion, I thought about doing the same approach. I had to dumb down my graphics a lot to at least get the titles done in After Effects. I basically had to recreate my animation, add one effect, render, and wait to see if it shuts down. I was able to render all of the effects, particle systems, motion blur, and camera movements last week with no issues. I updated to AE 12.1 and now I can't render anything but basic applications. 

I am now having the issue in Premiere Pro CC after it's update. I rendered out three one minute videos with no problem in Premiere Pro CC last night. I did some edits to a five minute video that I have been working on for a few weeks today, go to render, about half way through...shut down. I am sure that I will have to start another thread on that issue.

I am about ready to get out of Adobe and go to Autodesk for editing and compostiting if these issues keep happening.

Adobe Tech support claims that my PC isn't powerful enough to handle AE and PPRO CC, but I was rendering with both programs with no issues a week ago. There is no problem with my PC. I believe they have no answer to my problem. I may have to reinstall CC and not update, but I know that I need them for other issues in the programs. I am stuck and I have projects due.

Thank you for listening to my venting. I will update if I find a solution.