11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2013 3:03 AM by RjL190365

Need help with current laptop improvement

naumen Level 1

Hello

I need help with my current laptop improvement. I dont want to change it or buy a new one , i just want to improve what i have to what ever level its possible! i bought it used very cheap from a guy who have not used it much.... i dont use laptop for edit, i have desktop pc for it, but when i am on a shoot (i am operator) i use it for making copies for the filmed content. Now i got a chance to visit some free classes for editing (Premier) , and students there using their own laptops.... so i would not want to buy a new laptop just for it.... BUT i d like to make it as fast as i could !

here is what i have : ACER aspire 5740G

- intel Core i5 430m

- Ati mobility Radeon HD 5650 1 GB ram

- 4GB RAM (2x2)

- 640gb hdd its not 7200, but 5000 something

- WIN 7 64bit

no usb 3, and no pci e slot.... too bad!

What i did already: i put max RAM possible - 8 GB (2x4gb)

i wonder is it possible to change the GPU? i wonder if that mother board will accept Nvidea .... i could look online for something used.... what gtx would be optimal for me?

now i have just 1 hdd, but as i understand i could use 2 if i remove DVD drive, but 1 question if i put hdd there its should be only SSD or i can put that 640GB drive in there?

in any case do u think i should keep that 640gb drive at all? or its HAS to be changed to 7200 hdd no metter what?

if its not crazy expansive i could also concider to change CPU... if u think its worth it....

Regards

there will be installed CS6 production premium on that laptop

• 1. Re: Need help with current laptop improvement
          naumen Level 1

guys no ideas at all?

Regards

• 2. Re: Need help with current laptop improvement
            cc_merchant Level 4

CPU and video card can not be altered, you already upgraded the RAM to the maximum, you could change the HDD to a 7200 RPM model, depleting the battery even faster, but I wonder if it is worth the effort. It can't be used for PR due to the monitor resolution, so it is relegated to some Office applications and those do not need fast disks.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Need help with current laptop improvement
              naumen Level 1

ok got it , my laptop sucks..... i did not know that its not possible to update gpu....

but 1 last question about changeing dvd box to hdd drive :

now i have just 1 hdd, but as i understand i could use 2 if i remove DVD drive, but 1 question if i put hdd there its should be only SSD or i can put that 640GB drive in there?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2nd-HDD-Hard-Drive-Disk-Caddy-Adapter-Bay-for-Dell-XPS-15-L502 X-L501X-SATA-/180880340499?pt=US_Drive_Bay_Caddies&hash=item2a1d4ef613

regards

• 4. Re: Need help with current laptop improvement
                JFPhoton Level 3

....replacing the DVD with either an HDD,or, SSD in THAT laptop....would be like giving a HEART TRANSPLANT to a HAMSTER !!!!!...

• 5. Re: Need help with current laptop improvement
                  naumen Level 1

well its not really what i asked......

1. the info i asked about DVD to HDD box could be used with a different new or used laptop, that i am curently looking for.....

2. the SSD i ll buy is not a loss - its always can be used with any other laptop that i ll get in future, or at one of my 2 desktops

• 6. Re: Need help with current laptop improvement
                    JFPhoton Level 3

......there are PLENTY of newer laptops that have at least TWO internal drive bays !!!  My Asus i7 laptop from early 2011 has two, AND a USB3 port. I use a third drive on that USB3 port for previews and cache files.

....you can probably find a used, quality i7 laptop out there like mine, ( Asus G73  JW ), for a good price.

....Your post contradicts itself. At first, you were saying that you needed the laptop only for "offloading" camera footage...not editing. THEN, you say you want to install CS6 Production Premium on it and also have a " fast machine "

....you CAN edit on your laptop with marginal performance by :  replacing existing 5400rpm HDD with a large ,new 750GB, 7200 rpm drive. Use that as your "D" drive which would contain project files and all your media files, (footage), previews, cache files.

....MAYBE...you can install an SSD in the DVD bay using a "caddy" and make that your "C" drive, which would contain ONLY operating system, programs, AND Windows page file.

...with an i5 CPU...I DO NOT THINK IT WOULD BE WORTH IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

....to edit on a laptop you need :1. an 120volt OUTLET to plug in!!!....because under battery power, the CPU WILL THROTTLE BACK...no matter HOW you set your "power settings"

2. a display which is large enough to show the entire user interface, ( 1920x1080 is BEST ).

3. With the NEWER cs6, even 16 GB of system memory is TOO SMALL....32GB is new minimum

4. laptop needs ability to run 3 separate drives at higher minimum SATA II speeds.....two internal, and one external via eSATA, (best),or, USB3.  CURRENTLY..."Thunderbolt" external ports provide the fastest interface speed.....found on Apple products. Current HDD standard for HDD speed on a NEW laptop is SATA III, ( 6Gb per second vs, 3Gb/sec SATA II ).

5. you need a FAST Intel only i7 CPU !!! AMD LACKS the proper SSE "instructions" for best performance in editing, PLUS you NEED the "hyperthreading" a fast i7 will provide. Newer "Haswell" i7 laptop CPUs are almost TWICE as fast as MY i7 !!!

6. ONLY NVidia mobile GPU !!!....NO AMD....only NVidia mobile GPU will provide "Mercury Playback" acceleration using CUDA !!! a mobile NVidia GPU with at least 2GB of DDR5 video memory is best......currently the "700" series...

IN CONCLUSION :  SELL that i5 laptop and put the money towards a new "Haswell" i7 laptop !!!!!   Even with my i7 laptop that has a great NVidia video card, if I am using multiple video tracks and effects, I am forced to "transcode" the footage to the now free "cineform" codec, in order to retain smooth playback. I CAN edit natively, if the timeline remains "simple".

The BEST solution is to just "dump" your camera footage onto your existing laptop....maybe replace that SLOW HDD with a 750GB Seagate drive......THEN, edit AT HOME with a much more POWERFUL desktop system that you can OVERCLOCK and customize to maximize performance !!!

BUT WAIT !!!....THERE'S MORE !!!

I FORGOT that you have NO HIGH SPEED external ports on that laptop !!! If you "dumped" footage on it....you would have no FAST way of transferring the footage to your desktop machine, unless you PHYSICALLY REMOVED the hard drive and connected it to your desktop !!! SO.....it's time for A NEW MACHINE !!!!

• 7. Re: Need help with current laptop improvement
                      naumen Level 1

well thanks for your time , but again its not what i asked about, are u sure u have seen my last question?

this is the one: now i have just 1 hdd, but as i understand i could use 2 if i remove DVD drive, but 1 question if i put hdd there its should be only SSD or i can put that 640GB drive in there? like that one http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2nd-HDD-Hard-Drive-Disk-Caddy-Adapter-Bay- for-Dell-XPS-15-L502X-L501X-SATA-/180880340499?pt=US_Drive_Bay_Caddies &hash=item2a1d4ef613

as i told i dont use laptop for editing and i am not going to...... what i told is that i got a chance to visit free Editing Classes (free for me only) and i have to bring my own laptop with me as every other student there, as i understand they will show stuff and it would be great if i could repeat the same on my laptop. thats why i asked about possible improvement.

right now i have no use of laptop other then ofloading the data, - its just an extra copy that is. i dont use it for anything else. yes USB 2 bothers me , but not that much to justify a new 1500-2000 usd laptop. i ve seen lots of laptop parts used at ebay, and i asked if u could use it to upgrade my laptop , but cc_merchant wrote i cant , and i agreed to it by saying: ok got it , my laptop sucks! i dont think there is anything else much to say.

all i wanted to find out was : the info about that dvd box.....

also u wrote your self that use a 3rd HDD with your laptop...... again it only proves that i ll not loose anything if i ll buy extra HDD for my laptop, i ll be able to use it later with a different laptop (if i ever will decide to buy another one) or with my desktop pc.

so the new SSd drive not in any way will hurt my walet. what else i could do is upgrade my curent laptop lcd to an optional one with higher resolution... hope i ll find one cheap..

• 8. Re: Need help with current laptop improvement
                        cc_merchant Level 4

what else i could do is upgrade my curent laptop lcd to an optional one with higher resolution... hope i ll find one cheap..

That is not possible either. You are stuck with the CPU, video card and monitor. You can add a HDD in the DVD bay, but I repeat, is it a wise move? You only intend to use it for temporarily storing some media files, to be off-loaded to your desktop.

• 9. Re: Need help with current laptop improvement
                          JFPhoton Level 3

....again.....your current laptop is essentially USELESS for editing with Premiere Pro........SELL IT.......get a USED i7 laptop, LIKE MINE, which will work without breaking the bank !!!

.....like I said before, your machine is not good for "offloading" video onto because it has only SLOW external ports!!!......Since your machine is slow overall.......you may want to just use an external USB 2 drive, and be happy with 30 to 40 MB/sec. transfer rate....replacing the DVD with an SSD successfully ,( if made into "C" drive) may make booting and loading programs faster. However, the bus speed to that DVD player may NOT be SATA II, it could be SLOWER....I would not know how to find out. You could use the SSD in the  HDD drive bay as the "c" drive and then place the slow 640MB drive in a cheap, small USB2 external enclosure....as the USB 2 is so slow, the 5400rpm speed of the drive won't matter.

An i5, with NO hyperthreading ,combined with NO NVidia graphics card AND an unsuitable display, ( which will NOT show the entire user interface), will run PPro very SLOOOOOOOWWWWWW........if at ALL..........I KNOW !!!...because when I first started I tried to use a core 2 duo laptop, and the ONLY way I could edit was by transcoding every clip !!!!!!......but....transistions and effects were still HORRIBLE!!!....I had to wait FOREVER for previews to render !!!! With highly compressed codecs,CPU SPEED is KING in a laptop !!!....next, is the video card and memory. With my 2 year old i7 laptop, ( with 740QM CPU @1.7 GHz ) and a 1.5GB NVidia 460M mobile graphics card and 14 GB system memory will edit natively AND edit complex timelines, ( when video converted to cineform 10 bit) easily.

.....just get a new...or, newer i7 laptop with 2 internal drive bays, eSATA port, ( USB3 OK,but, not as fast), proper display, memory and NVidia mobile GPU...600 or 700 series.

• 10. Re: Need help with current laptop improvement
                            JFPhoton Level 3

....check craigslist.......guy in Homestead,FL has Asus like mine....NEWER, with faster CPU, same 460m . You can add memory your self for cheap....he wants ~ $600. That machine NEW was ~ $1,800 !!!!   He has a 128 GB SSD as boot drive, 500MB second drive AND NEW BATTERY !!!!    Dump old laptop....get one like this one !

• 11. Re: Need help with current laptop improvement
                              RjL190365 Level 4

JFPhoton wrote:

....again.....your current laptop is essentially USELESS for editing with Premiere Pro........SELL IT.......get a USED i7 laptop, LIKE MINE, which will work without breaking the bank !!!

.....like I said before, your machine is not good for "offloading" video onto because it has only SLOW external ports!!!......Since your machine is slow overall.......you may want to just use an external USB 2 drive, and be happy with 30 to 40 MB/sec. transfer rate....replacing the DVD with an SSD successfully ,( if made into "C" drive) may make booting and loading programs faster. However, the bus speed to that DVD player may NOT be SATA II, it could be SLOWER....I would not know how to find out. You could use the SSD in the  HDD drive bay as the "c" drive and then place the slow 640MB drive in a cheap, small USB2 external enclosure....as the USB 2 is so slow, the 5400rpm speed of the drive won't matter.

An i5, with NO hyperthreading ,combined with NO NVidia graphics card AND an unsuitable display, ( which will NOT show the entire user interface), will run PPro very SLOOOOOOOWWWWWW........if at ALL..........I KNOW !!!...because when I first started I tried to use a core 2 duo laptop, and the ONLY way I could edit was by transcoding every clip !!!!!!......but....transistions and effects were still HORRIBLE!!!....I had to wait FOREVER for previews to render !!!! With highly compressed codecs,CPU SPEED is KING in a laptop !!!....next, is the video card and memory. With my 2 year old i7 laptop, ( with 740QM CPU @1.7 GHz ) and a 1.5GB NVidia 460M mobile graphics card and 14 GB system memory will edit natively AND edit complex timelines, ( when video converted to cineform 10 bit) easily.

.....just get a new...or, newer i7 laptop with 2 internal drive bays, eSATA port, ( USB3 OK,but, not as fast), proper display, memory and NVidia mobile GPU...600 or 700 series.

Actually, all mobile i5s have hyperthreading. It's just that all mobile i5s have only two physical CPU cores (unlike most desktop i5s that have four physical cores but no hyperthreading). Think of the mobile i5 as a mobile i3 with turboboost added (the i3 has no turboboost).

And the OP's laptop is not even remotely a current-generation model, but an over three-year-old model based on a first-generation Arrandale (not even Sandy Bridge, let alone Ivy Bridge or Haswell) CPU.