16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 3:39 PM by R Neil Haugen

Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.

liljard

So I installed the latest update for Premiere Pro CC a couple of days ago and now every edit I make in my Multicam sequence takes about 10 seconds to take effect. No matter how small an edit I make. While it´s taking affect the computer just freezes.

Is it possible to downgrade or does someone have a sollution?

• 1. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not seeing any performance issues with MC here.  I'd suggest something may be wrong with your system.  Let's see if we can figure that out.  Start here:

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

• 2. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
            liljard Level 1

Off course. I´m sorry. I haven´t posted before.

I´m using Windows 7 and Premiere Pro CC.

My system is two Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2687W 0 @ 3.10 GHz with 56 GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 680.
            I´m a long time Apple user who recently bought a Windows machine.

I´m editing a multicam sequence with 12 cameras that initially was Apple Prores 422. The system couldn´t handle that so I tried to google my way into finding what was the best codec to convert to for my editing. After some trial and error it wound up being Mpeg2.
            Everything went fine until the long awaited new update came which provided the Dynamic Link between Speedgrade and Premiere. After that every edit took about ten seconds to take effect. Tried to google and chat with Adobe representatives, but nothing helped until I this morning was able to downgrade to the previous version. Now everything works fine again. Although I can´t use the Dynamic Link.

• 3. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I just want to mention for other readers that the new feature between Premiere Pro and SpeedGrade is actually called Direct Link.  It is different than Dynamic Link.

• 4. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                piersfh

How did you downgrade? I am having the exact same issue and its killing my time which is costing me dearly

Thanks

• 5. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                  piersfh Level 1

Thought I would quickly come back to this thread, I downgraded my premiere pro to 7.0.1 using a time machine bkup and this fixed my lagging timeline and windows etc. It seems that this issue lies within the new 7.1 update.  Thanks liljard for this thread and the downgrade suggestion it literally helped me meet a pressing deadline.

I work on a

Mac Pro 2012

2 x 2.4 GHz 6 core Intel xeon

12 GB ram 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC

1 GB ati radeon HD 5770

• 6. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                    SMG720 Level 1

Oh no, multicam is broken again?  I also experienced the other bug where the monitor sticks on Camera 1 and won't change to a different camera.

Sigh. Come on, Adobe, you're better than this.  Multicam was one of the biggest bugs in the initial release.

• 7. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                      Gavatron1984

I have exactly the same issue since I installed the latest Premiere update. Multicam editing in this project was working like a dream before, and now it's a nightmare. As soon as I make an edit my 4-cam feed slows up and makes it impossible to accurately select cameras in real time. Come on Adobe this needs a quick fix, you are killing my workflow!

• 8. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                        devinclk

I'm having the same issue. I have a 3 camera setup using PP7.2, it takes 7 seconds after hitting the play button or space bar to start working.

any ideas?

Mac Pro

Early 2009

Processor  2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory  16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512

Software  OS X 10.9.2

• 9. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                          Mediatek

Add me as yet ANOTHER struggling CC user.

I no longer have access to a CS6 licence so CC is it for me. Which pretty much means Im screwed.

Only 2 cam multi-cam loaded and cut onto a new timeline. I can't even drop additional tracks or add effects without CC crashing.

Hoping someone has some input over there at Adobe.

CPU i7 930

16Gb RAM

GTX560

Win 8.1

Lastest Drivers / Updates.

• 10. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                            Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

@Devinclk: You specify that you're on 7.2. If that's accurate, then please update to 7.2.2. Among the many bugs fixed were several involving multicam.

@Mediatek: first off, as a CC subscriber you most certainly do have access to the CS6 version of PPro. On this download page, use the drop-down under "In This Version" midway down the left side of the page to select CS6, then click "Download." As to the problems you're having with CC, if you start a new thread and provide as much detail as possible, there's a good chance someone around here will be able to help troubleshoot it. Remember, while you're choosing to emphasize that you're "another struggling CC user," tens of thousands of customers are using the program without such problems. So there's a particular issue--or confluence of issues--causing particular problems in your case. The first step to resolving the problems is for you to share specific & thorough enough information for someone to help.

• 11. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                              diwision

I'm having the same issues with AVCHD multi-cam sequences on a brand new Dell workstation with Intel Xeon CPU E5, 16 GB RAM, SSD, Windows 8.1, Adobe CC2015... I never expected this machine to be slower than my MacBook Pro. - I want to add: I transcoded the AVCHD material to DNxHD and it works well now.

• 12. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                                videoidea

Yes, I have the same issues..... Seems to lag when editing clips on the timeline.. Checked Windows task manager for resources and nothing is hitting a 'ceiling limit'. Seems like plenty of processor power {85 peak} and memory { 8 gig of 24}. Any thoughts???.

• 13. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                                  Koepchen

I have the same problem. I just updated Adobe Premiere today (02/09/2015) and problem is still not solved! And the software behaves very sluggish even when I am not working in a multicam sequence. (But there is a multicam sequence present in the project).

Hardware: HP HP Z820, Installed Memory 192 GB, NVIDIA Quadro 6000,

Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1

I have taken two actions since:

1. I have removed my Adobe Premiere preferences to re-instate the default settings, following below procedure that I found on the web:

Having weird behavior with an Adobe video product? Consider tossing your preferences away. As an Adobe employee, I get the “My stuff is broke, tell me how to fix it” in a wondrous variety.  My response isusually something to the effect that I’m not the  amazing reskin and then smile.  Point is that we usually need a lot of information to even formulate a guess.  However, there is one thing that I like to mention as a general kind of ‘catch all’.  It’s surprising at how often it can cure a user’s mysterious problems.  We call it ‘trashing the prefs’ and here’s how you do it.

On PC go to

UserFolder>Documents>Adobe>AdobeProductName
                                  (like Premiere Pro)  Inside of this, there is a folder with a number
                                  (usually 4.0 for CS4).  Take that to the trash and restart your
                                  application.

On the Mac its basically the same.

UserFolder>Documents>Adobe>AdobeProductName

Hope this helps you if you’re experiencing something less than a great experience

2. I have imported a non multicam sequence from my multicam project into a new project.

Result: the sluggish behavior persists. It takes more than one minute for the software to play back again after a minor edit.

• 14. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                                    On Scene Productions

Having the same issue!! Multi-Cam edit very sluggish. Takes up to 30 sec. before the system will allow you to scrub again. CPU utilization during this sluggishness is 02% to 05% and system memory is 23%?

Just made the leap to Adobe CC in September of 2015 after using FCP7 as a crutch until we made a final decision on the direction we wanted to go. After careful consideration and recognizing Adobe's core competency is in video editing, graphics and animation to name a few, we decided to commit to Adobe CC.

Very disappointing to learn this is an issue and has been for some time, we must have missed this in our research. It makes us think, did we make the right decision?

Have searched the web for answers, tried many different possible resolutions with no luck....

Running the following:

Windows 7 SP1 - All of the current updates

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50ghz

ASUS Z87-Deluxe/Quad System Board

MSI GeForce GTX-970 Graphic Card with 4GB - 256-Bit GDDR5

32.0 GB of Team Xtream DDR3 2400 PC319200 Memory

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.0.2 Release - 9.0.2 (6) Build

Please get this resolved ASAP!!

• 15. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                                      piersfh Level 1

Hi On Scene Productions

Just a few suggestions (which you may have tried and apologies in advance if I'm suggesting old news) to try and help you out as they have worked for me.  I have worked with Premiere full time since CC came out and have had to go through a lot of teething issues and have mostly had to find my own work arounds. One of the things I feel really stuffs up premiere is the way its caching larger files hence one of my suggestions below.

1. I have found that re encoding my footage to a less compressed codec e.g. Apple Pro Res or DNxHD has made multi cam flow a lot better than when I try and use the footage strait out of the camera. (e.g. AVCHD)  this has made multi cam edits with long interviews easy.  I did this recently while onsite editing on a Macbook Pro laptop in cc 2015 latest release.

2. Do you use CUDA ? this has helped me a lot with providing noticeably more power when editing.  I use on both my Laptop and Tower and have had great results as both my machines are NVIDIA powered.

3. Do you have a dedicated cache drive? I use an SSD which is dedicated to being premieres cache for everything including render files.

4. What codec are you having problems with?  to see if others have found work arounds

I work on a Mac Pro 5,1 - 28 GB ram - 2 x 2.4 6 core Xeon processors - 4GB GTX980 Gpu which is running 3 x Full HD monitors while I work.

• 16. Re: Multicam editing in Premiere Pro CC very slow after latest update.
                                        R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One key thing you left out of your system specs is the number of drives, type of connections, and what you put on the drives. The Adobe digital video apps (DVA's for short) tend to use such things as project files, project databases, and cache files HEAVILY ... so having more than one of those on a disc can lead to logjams in disc read/writes.

If possible ... it's recommended to split up your total assets say across 4 discs past the OS/programs disc ... as in ...

OS/programs;

PrPro cache, media cache, and database files;

PrPro project files;

PrPro preview files;

Video Media files.

There are several arrangements of these favored by various members around here ... and of course, if you've say a 4/5 disc hardware striped RAID 0 array, that's even better. I don't know what your group's file arrangements are, server & connection types & such. That can be an important part of the whole thing also.

Disc connections is also important ... for spinning discs, internal connections & Thunderbolt or eSATA II for externals (Thunderbolt has the better throughput). USB3 is drastically slower for "spinning" discs, but Bill Gehrke's testing (Tweaker's page) has come up with Samsung Flash drive SSD's that can live on a USB3 and give excellent sustained throughput.

And as Bill Gehrke (best expert on such things) points out, the upcoming m.2 and USB3- upgraded type will give vastly better performance, meaning the old style many-disc arrangements will be history. We hope!

Bill's "Tweaker's Page" has the best info ... they don't delete stuff (as there's still a lot of people running CS5 Premiere even!) so some folks think "That's all old stuff" ... but the newest stuff is never more than a few weeks "out". He's got a zipped project download "PPBM" test, you unzip ... install the logger that comes with it ... load the project into PrPro with it's bits arrayed as you have your own stuff ... then render while the logger times everything. It tests your complete system, from CPU and GPU operation & utilization, disc speeds for sustained throughput, and from the results you can get a very good idea of exactly where your machine bogs.

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page

Neil