1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 7:49 AM by rob day

what to do about supplied artwork density > 300%

getho Level 1

I'm doing a mag that previous years I'd done all the ad design for, so I had control of the workflow from start to finish.  This year I'm just putting it together and I've just exported the PDF for the first time and had a look at the total area coverage.  I'm getting a whole bunch of warning green  

The printer specifies the require ink density below 300%.  I just exported it using the indesign high quality press preset (which is what I've been doing lately - most printers seem to be happier with this, and I figure its one less conversion in the process).

(I'm also getting a bunch of spot colours in there which I'll have to ditch)

So is there a 'correct" workflow to export from indesign that will convert the supplied artwork (mostly cmyk PDF's).  Alternatively is it OK to do a colour conversion in Acrobat?

• 1. Re: what to do about supplied artwork density > 300%
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The printer specifies the require ink density below 300%.  I just exported it using the indesign high quality press preset (which is what I've been doing lately - most printers seem to be happier with this, and I figure its one less conversion in the process).

Total Ink Limit is set by the CMYK profile when you make a conversion into that CMYK space, either from RGB, Lab, or a different CMYK space. There has to be a conversion for it to be enforced.

The High Quality preset doesn't make conversions and includes profiles (PDF/X-4 would probably be better). If the ads you are receiving don't include profiles they will get assigned your document's profile and if your document profile is  correct for the press, the ad's CMYK values would output unchanged.

So in that scenario it would be possible for 300+ total ink to get through—your client's ad was converted to CMYK via US Sheetfed (350%) and provided without a profile and you place it in a document with the final destination US SWOP profile assigned (300%). In that case there's no conversion, the 300+ values remain unchanged.

Ideally your client's ads should include profiles and the color should be RGB, so your not getting CMYK-to-CMYK conversions and the total ink is set by the final destination profile.