5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 7:20 AM by A.T. Romano

Panasonic Lumix G6 RAW files

masalmon

Hi ive just got a lumix g6 but my emements 9 will not open them. Ive tried updating elements but it says it up to date.

• 1. Re: Panasonic Lumix G6 RAW files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your camera shoots in a number of formats. But about the only format that Premiere Elements 9 can edit from this camera is AVCHD 1920x1080 60i (or 50i PAL). If you shoot in this format and this format only, you will be able to edit your video in Premiere Elements 9.

But you must:

a) Ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime in stalled on your computer, per the program's requirements; and

b) Start a project and select the project settings for Full AVCHD 1920x1080 Stereo. You must do this at the start of the project. Premiere Elements 9 can not change project settings midway through a project. When you do this, the program will automatically install the necessary components to edit this type of video.

That said, version 9 is actually kind of primitive when it comes to editing AVCHD. Great improvements were made in version 10 and, even moreso, in versions 11 and 12. In fact versions 11 and 12 can even edit a number of the formats your camera shoots, including 1920x1080 60p and 50p. So, if you're going to shoot video with this camera, I'd very much recommend an upgrade.

• 2. Re: Panasonic Lumix G6 RAW files
            masalmon Level 1

Thank you for your reply but its the still image i shoot in raw which i cant open. jpeg is fine. the raw files panasonic use are RW2

• 3. Re: Panasonic Lumix G6 RAW files
              masalmon Level 1

the camera is a new panasonic dmc-g6 and im only interested in stills.

• 4. Re: Panasonic Lumix G6 RAW files
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can open RAW photos in Photoshop Elements. As I'm sure you know, RAW is not a delivery format, and so you can not use RAW photos as is in Premiere Elements.

However, once you've saved your RAW files as .tifs, .jpgs, .psds or any of the other delivery formats, you will have no problems using them in a Premiere Elements project.

• 5. Re: Panasonic Lumix G6 RAW files
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

masalmon

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

It would appear that your Panasonic G6 was not supported until Camera Raw 8.1 which is not supported by your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1.

Even if it were, you might run your version blocking the raw image import because of size.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/624979

The above is a Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 thread, but it is applicable to version 9.0/9.0.1 as well.

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....You can use raw and dng images in Premiere Elements, provided that you have installed a version of Camera Raw that supports your camera AND Premiere Elements supports that version of Camera Raw. In earlier versions of the program, such as version 9.0/9.0.1, there was also the size factor as mentioned above. The results are good with all the above ifs in place.