8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 3:31 PM by Stan Jones

Blu-Ray and resolution in CS5

BrianSiano2 Level 1

I'm prepping a project that's going to go to DVD and Blu-Ray in a week or so. I'm good on the DVD part, but the Blu-Ray thing is new to me. The project uses AVHCD files, full hi-def (1920 x 1080), 29.97 fps. And when I export to Blu-Ray, using the h.264 codecs, the system offers me 1080i at 29.97 fps, and a resolution of something like 1444x1080.

My two questions are:

1. I'd like to render my video to 1280x720, to enable some reframing, Can I render a Blu-Ray video file at this resolution? Or, do I rerender the 1280x720 as 1920x1080 and look a little fuzzy?

2. If i render a Blu-Ray video at 1080p at 29.97 fps, does this create problems?

• 2. Re: Blu-Ray and resolution in CS5
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

You should definitely have a 1920x1080i Blu-ray preset available under "H.264 Blu-Ray" format presets. Don't have access to look right now, but it is there, I've used it.

If you want to reframe the video, that happens before export. Put the 1080 footage into a 720 sequence, Scale to Frame OFF, and then you can manually scale/frame clips as needed, then export as 720p.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 3. Re: Blu-Ray and resolution in CS5
            BrianSiano2 Level 1

Jeff: thanks, but I think I'm on that page already. My concern is whether I can create a Blu-Ray video at 1280x720 and 29.97fps.

Do I have to go to a differet frame rate, like 24 or 23.97? Or do I have to scale the reframed video back up to 1920x1080 to match that 29.97 framerate?

• 4. Re: Blu-Ray and resolution in CS5

Hi Brian,

I don't have access to a Premiere system at the moment to look at available encoding options, sorry. But quite simply, take a look and see what the options are on your system. In AME, choose "H.264 Blu-ray" and then under Presets, what frame sizes and rates are there? If you see 720p30 (29.97) then you are all set

Thanks

Jeff

• 5. Re: Blu-Ray and resolution in CS5
                TeeKayCC Level 2

@BrianSiano2

I've got Premiere CC open and the list of presets look incomplete to me.

You should definitely be able to do 1280x720 at 29.97 in theory. I'm not sure what Encore supports, but I'd be completely blown away if it didn't support this. It wouldn't make sense for Encore to not support this.

The preset isn't there for 29.97, but you can just tweak the framerate from the HD 720p 23.976 preset. There should be no need to upscale to 1920x1080, unless you absolutely need 1080p/i for some reason. Blu-ray definitely supports 720p and 720i at a number of framerates.

To answer your second question, rendering a Blu-ray video at 1080p at 29.97 fps should not cause any problems. But like I said, if your source sequence is 720p/i... you might as well export at that size and not upscale. It'll save you time and hard drive space. Not only that, but people's Blu-ray players can easily do the upscaling later.

• 6. Re: Blu-Ray and resolution in CS5

Again, don't have a computer available right now to check presets, but the list of Blu-ray options is actually kind of small compared to what the cameras offer these days, the reason being that the Blu-ray spec governs what formats are supported (Blu-ray players can only play certain formats). For instance (going from memory) I don't think there is a 1080p option, just 1080i. And in reference to the previous post, there is no such thing as 720i, ever - 720p is always progressive. But if you edit the 1080i or 1080p footage in a 720p sequence, definitely aim to export to 720p Blu-ray, because you will lose quality upscaling to 1080 again. Keep it 720p.

Thanks

Jeff

• 7. Re: Blu-Ray and resolution in CS5
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Keep it 720p.

Agree.

For what its worth, the H.264 BD export, and Encore supported for import, is 720p 59.94.

• 8. Re: Blu-Ray and resolution in CS5
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The preset isn't there for 29.97, but you can just tweak the framerate from the HD 720p 23.976 preset.

The problem is that you have to have both what is Bluray legal (and for those cases where it may be more restrictive) what Encore supports - meaning what Encore will see as legal. It is best to stick with the H.264 Bluray format and those presets. They are there for a reason. To get 720p 29.97, you can use the H.264 format (i.e. no Bluray after it), which includes that as a preset. But Encore will re-transcode it.