3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 5:00 AM by Steve Werner

Save settings for an InDesign book to pdf

Kim_in_WNC Level 1

I need the highest settings for the best print quality of photos (CMYK) with embedded fonts, in the smallest size file possible. Without downsampling it's over 9GB (over 700 photos) and I need under 250MB without losing print quality in the photos. I'm running CS5.

On a seperate note: is it possible to look at a pdf I created last year and see the settings I used when I did that one?

K

• 1. Re: Save settings for an InDesign book to pdf
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've moved your question to the InDesign forum which is more appropriate.

Why does it need to be under 250 Mb? You may have to make choices which is more important—print quality or file size.

There is no way to determine print settings when viewing a PDF file.

I'd suggest doing a sample with your printer to see how low a resolution you can go without affecting quality.

• 2. Re: Save settings for an InDesign book to pdf
            Kim_in_WNC Level 1

Thank you for moving it where it goes.Sorry to have put it in the wrong place. The printer that I have to use needs it to be under 250MB. I am trying to find the highest print quality (no downsampling jpeg2000 lossless) with the smallest size (straight pdfx-1a-2001 or pdf x3-2002 that uses bicubic auto jpeg which of course is lossy). I have yet to find the ideal spot. Also I'm not sure if say it is better to use downsampling but keep it jpeg2000 med say over no DS, jpeg high. It has to CMYK, pdfx-1a-2001 or pdf x3-2002 and have all fonts embeded. The photos and fonts can't change.

Thank you for letting me know about the settings not being able to viewed. I had hopes of seeing what I settings I did last year. I've done 11 test with huge differecnes in size and photo preservation by altering the downsampling and compression. I have yet to find the ideal settings.

tried .JPG

• 3. Re: Save settings for an InDesign book to pdf
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Look for another printer. I know of no reputable printer who sets a file size limitation which would have a negative impact on image quality.