1 2 Previous Next 56 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2018 11:15 PM by raew96231780

Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random

Vic-Boss

I am experiencing the same Polygon Lasso glitch that has been brought up by several others; however, I haven't seen a solution.  I'm posting again JUST IN CASE someone new sees this and can share how they may have overcome this frustrating issue.

Here’s the problem: Polygon Lasso decides to close the selection FOR NO REASON AT RANDOM.

Let me clarify that I am an advanced Photoshop user (certified expert by Adobe).  I know all Photoshop tools inside and out and this is DEFINITELY not user error. Photoshop CC is glitching and it needs to be fixed.  Thing is, this only started for me very recently; within the last few weeks.  (Kinda close to when I updated to Mavericks on my mac but I’m not sure that has anything to do with it)  

To re-iterate, this is NOT a double-clicking issue or anything done wrong by me. Making lots of small lassos joined by the shift key is also NOT a solution.  Switching to the pen tool is also NOT a solution because my workflow depends on the speed of the lasso tool.

The real reason why I’m bringing this up is mostly because, like I said, this is only a recent problem.  Was there just an update to Photoshop CC that would have caused this? It’s driving me crazy and putting a serious hiccup in my workday since the polygon lasso is such a key tool. 

• 1. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
          donbarrum Level 2

I have the exact same problem and its driving me mad.

I use a Wacom, this is the reason why it occurs. I assume its the same for you ? It doesnt happen with a mouse.

• 2. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
            mckenziedesign

I have the same issue as well. I'm also an advanced PS user and architectural illustrator, so the polygon lasso is absolutely essential to my workflow. I use an older Wacom Cintiq - the first 21UX model. I'm wondering if there is a compatibility problem with Maverick and my Cintiq. I've gone through every troubleshooting suggestion posted on Adobe's PS FAQ page, uninstalled and reinstalled the Cintiq driver, and uninstalled and reinstalled PS, made sure my OS and PS are up-to-date...without any change. The lasso tool continues to malfunction.

In addition to the lasso tool bug, I'm also experiencing a strange hotkey lag. I'll increase/decrease brush size, undo, or try to change a tool, and the program won't respond. I have to tap the screen or undo using the history window to make things happen.

Both bugs happen at random. I'll go about my business of selecting and everything will go as planned. Perhaps two or three selections in, the lasso tool quits on me and autoselects. Likewise with my hotkeys, although not as frequent.

Photoshop is an integral part of my livelihood. My work is slowed by about 50-60% because of these bugs and no one seems to have a solution. There is no workaround. There must be a solution out there somewhere. I fear I'm going to have to shell out another $2500 for a new Cintiq. Is anyone using a newer Wacom model and experiencing the same problem?

• 3. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
              donbarrum Level 2

Yep, that´s another one of the bugs that I also started experiencing after the Mavericks upgrade - that the hotkeys suddenly don´t work and I have to manually click the button. I just haven´t copmplained about it yet, as the Polugonal Lasso and Blank menus are on top of my priority list of NEED-TO-BE-FIXED-ASAP bugs.

I´m guessing everyone with a Mavericks,  Photoshop and a Wacom Tablet have to live through these painful bugs every day And, I haven´t seen any interest from Adobe the last days on any of these threads. As if they gave up trying to fix this.

Mckenziedesign, Don´t go out and buy a new Cintiq hoping to fix any of these bugs. I have a Wacom Cintiq 22HD, and I also have a Intuos 5 - I got the same problems as you have on both. - and I´ve tried every thing you mention here as well.

ADOBE? are you looking into these bugs. How do we get your attention?

• 4. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                mckenziedesign Level 1

Donbarrum, thanks for the quick reply. Sorry to hear I'm not the only one out there with the same issues, especially since they seem to be cross-platform. I've scanned a few Adobe PS forum threads hoping for some answers, and the problems with hotkeys and poly lasso go back to March 2013 [and an outlier from 2012] and have affected both Mac and PC users. Super sorry to hear it's a problem for all Wacom users too. Please let us know if you have any luck resolving this in the future.

Planning on calling Adobe tomorrow. This bug is unacceptable from a service I pay a premium for.

• 5. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                  donbarrum Level 2

So, you are not using Mavericks ? I thought the polygonal lasso bug was Mavericks only. If it isn´t at least it´s something that isn´t up to Apple to fix (that could take a while, since the disappearing mouse pointer in OSX has been a problem for years and finally gone with Mavericks for some reason).

Anyway, please let me know if you find a solution too, Polygonal Lasso tool is one of the tools I´m quite dependent on, and any tips that could fix it would really make my life easier.

I fear its a wacom driver bug. Because it happens only with the Wacom tablet (though you kinda feel the shortcut bug and the lasso tool is related some how - it´s like the program suddenly refuse to take in input). But since both Adobe and Wacom claims their software is Mavericks tested and approved it´s impossible to know if they even think this is a problem worth looking into.

• 6. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                    donbarrum Level 2

Hey mckenziedesign, just checking up. Did you call apple? - did they have any tip on how to resolve these issues. The keyboard shortcut lags, the polygonal lasso tool and the white menus in Mavericks are all making it extremely difficult to work. And as it seems Adobe don´t care to read or reply to complaints in these forums.

• 7. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                      ravi@dpa

Hi folks. I have Wacom intuos 3, Mavericks and all of the above problems also. Plus after an hour or so, the lasso stops functioning all together. The button selects but left click is not recognised when trying to select. Fixes on software restart. All becoming a real nuisance.

• 8. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                        BrandStamp

Has anyone here heard anything yet??  My wifes studio updated to CC and have all these problems too.  I'm about to drop the cash for a cintiq myself (working as a consultant) and all these issues make me very nervous.  I pay for CC and I'm hoping I won't have to buy and older copy of Photoshop just to be productive.

• 9. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                          Vic-Boss Level 1

Nope, still at a loss.  HOWEVER, Adobe did just put out a fairly big update to cloud apps this week.  Hopefully I'll get to see if this affects the problem at all. 

I'm not sure that using an older Photoshop will actually fix things (though I haven't tried).  Problem seems to completely be in the Wacom drivers.  Whether it's because the drivers don't work perfectly with Mavericks or it's someting else, I don't know. 

• 10. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                            donbarrum Level 2

Nope, haven´t heard anything. I´m guessing (hoping) adobe has it on its list of "stuff they are looking into". At least that´s pretty much my only hope - though I´m suspecting this as well as the keyboard problems probably has others to blame. But, contacting Apple for anything like this feels completely hopeless. And Wacom just doesn´t care and just plays the blaming card....So, let´s hope we´ll hear something from Adobe soon, and they can point the others in the right direction.

Just some personal impressions, a bit off topic:

I have a feeling that Mavericks are full of problems and Apple is only fixing minor stuff and doesn´t seem to understand or are aware of the major stuff (not that I know how to make them care either). Because as it is right now, it seems installing Mavericks gives you a lot less optimized machine - except for battery (if you have a laptop) and apart from that it only gives you a few minor OS features that are barely anything to speak of. But in general, my machine got out of ram more quickly, I noticed hickups all over the place. F.example in games, like League of Legends, there were interwals of stuttering, as if the machine was overloaded or something - and don´t get me started on the problems in Photoshop . And a couple of times my machine crashed because ram usage boiled over. And that is with 32 GB of ram (!!) and a maxed out top of the line late 2012 iMac. After I reverted to Mountain Lion, it felt like installing a new operating system. Everything was smooth and I feel I can throw everything I want at the machine again and it will handle it with ease. I recently worked on an image that had about 100 layers and a resolution of 75.000 pixels width - I can only imagine how Mavericks would completely explode my machines ram on that. Sadly though Mavericks is suppose to be an upgrade and eventually I will have to catch up - as Apple is all ready making new updates to their suites working only on Mavericks...but right now it brings very little to the table except problems and frustration...unless you are dependent on battery lifetime I can´t see what you really gain from it.

• 11. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                              Vic-Boss Level 1

ok everyone, I can officially confirm that reverting back to Mountain Lion has fixed this problem!! Photoshop CC on Mountain Lion with the Mountian Lion Wacom drivers works perfectly for me. 

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                SuperAwesome

It is all about Mavericks. I first experienced the lasso tool issue with CS6 after upgrading to Mavericks so I decided to test it in CC, same problem. Im going to downgrade as well!

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                  BrandStamp Level 1

Good news. Thanks for the follow up guys.

• 14. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                    sighmoan Level 1

I've been experiencing this problem for quite some time too, though I can't be completely sure if it's specific to Mavericks.

What I can assertain is that there is some lag happening with the Wacom Driver - it could be that the driver is not optimized for Mavericks. I get the lag when using the Clone Tool as well. I've configured one of the pen buttons to select clone source, but when I select and then start painting too quickly the source is selected a lot closer to where my cursor ends up, not when I originally clicked.

Hence I'm also suspecting that there is a lag when using the polygon lasso, so that Photoshop is registering two clicks closers together than it was done in real-time - hence it thinks you double-clicked to close. I've noticed that if I do this very slowly it tends to not close the selection.

• 15. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                      donbarrum Level 2

I think you are wrong. Because the polygonal lasso tool doesnt close, it just stops adding a new line to your lasso, but it hasnt closed it is still active but you cannot do anything. And then you know that with the next tablet click it will autoclose.

I have a feeling it happens more often when the machine is under some stress. But I could be wrong.

• 16. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                        Tifa333

I'm having the same problem with both Photoshop CS6 and CC and and an Intuos Pen. Any news?

• 17. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                          electropithecus Level 1

Same exact thing happens to me; I even tried switching out a Wacom Intuos 3 for an Intuos 4. This is INCREDIBLY frustrating.

Photoshop CC

OSX Mavericks

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

22GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM

• 18. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                            Vic-Boss Level 1

Yeah, just revert back to Mountain Lion and your problems will be fixed.  That's all you can do until Wacom fixes the drivers. 

• 19. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                              donbarrum Level 2

No, there´s a fix for all these issues...

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-menus-turn-white-mac.html

it fixes lasso problem, lag and white menus all in one. Ive used it for a month and photoshop runs just as good as it did in Mountain Lion

• 20. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                Vic-Boss Level 1

When did they release that???!!!!  That's great.   Wish it could've happened way earlier (or if it's actually been around a while; wish I'd known about it earlier)   But now that I've been back on Mountian Lion and everything's perfect I'm not gonna mess with anything or upgrade to Mavericks again since I don't really need it.  Thanks for posting!

• 21. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                  Tifa333 Level 1

UGH! Thank you SO much! That totally worked!!

• 22. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                    electropithecus Level 1

Holy crap, that worked like a charm. Thank you!

• 23. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                      BALawson Level 1

Hate to be a buzz killer here, but the "White Window" work-around plugin will only worked for a while. I installed it when it was first available, it fixed everything, but now not so much. The blanked out popups is still fixed, but over the last couple of weeks anything that involves a selection (lasso, polygon etc) is locking up; then the Patch and Content-Aware selection stopped working. I suspect Apple cares but can't fix it, Adobe could fix it but doesn't care, and Wacom is just flying blind and blaming everybody else. 

• 24. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                        Adobe Sux

Same problem here. Plugin worked for a while now the lasso is unusable again. Works fine with a mouse but craps itself on my Wacom Pro.

Unbelievable that Adobe or Wacom or whoever the f%^$ is responsible for this mess have done nothing about it.

• 25. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                          Carves Level 1

Same problem here, bought a new tablet thinking that would fix it.  It didn't.

• 26. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                            Empire Made

This is a complete joke, do any Adobe staff read these forums. Using my Wacom pro with CC on Mavericks is unusable. Polygon lasso, painting with brushes hangs photoshop until I click to another application and then back again. I've been putting up with all of this for over six months now, am i entitled to a refund because the software isn't fit for purpose? Laughable situation.

• 27. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                              Adobe Sux Level 1

This plugin worked for me:

Menus, shortcuts, Lasso tool, and/or Photoshop stop working when using a Wacom tablet | Mac OS

Well, it works until you update anything on your computer, then even thought the plugin is still in the folder it no longer appears under Help/System Info so you're back to an unusable Photoshop. So you have to remove the plugin, download it again, and put it back in there. I've wasted so much time with this stupid bug and I find it incredible that Adobe hasn't fixed this. I think I'll be looking for another program for my colouring needs...

ADOBE PLEASE FIX THIS WELL KNOWN BUG IN YOUR SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 28. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Adobe Sux wrote:

ADOBE PLEASE FIX THIS WELL KNOWN BUG IN YOUR SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could the problem be in Mac OS or Wacom Driver where it it documented that its an adobe Bug?  Has Adobe acknowledged it to be a Photoshop Mac bug. There does not seen to be a problem on Windows systems. In Windows, Wacom driver or Photoshop. The Adobe link you provided look to be a work around for Mac OS  with Wacom tablets and Photoshop no where did I see any indication there that it a bug in the different version  of MAC Photoshop,   Since Adobe know about the problem and is providing a work around.  Why would Adobe not fix a known problem and provide a work around if the problem is in Adobe code wouldn't Adobe just fix its bug.

Perhaps Adobe Apple and Wacom are working together to fix the problem the best way possible.

You write that the Plug-in workaround no longer loads after the last Photoshop update. Perhaps the plug-in file is corrupt did you try refreshing the plug-in file?  Are you using CC for CS6 has not changed lately.  Only ACR is updated for New Camera support in CS6. CS6 bugs are not being fixed.

• 29. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                                  donbarrum Level 2

The plugin still works for me. I haven´t had any problems after that. I have the latest update of Mavericks and the latest Wacom Driver. So currently Im a happy customer..

But I agree, a plugin fix isn´t a permanent solution, and when the polygonal lasso tool doesnt work it´s extremely frustrating for a professional artist. And if it in in fact doesn´t help for everyone with the plugin, Adobe should drive apple hard to fix their problem, if it is in fact OSX Mavericks that has the problem. But, for what I know, the polygon lasso tool could be made up of old code and Mavericks will never support it. It´s Adobes responsible to make it work for their customers. Polygonal lasso tool is a common tool, in many applications...Only Photoshop from what I know of doesn´t work with it in Mavericks, maybe the tool needs a bit of redesigned code then?

• 30. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                                    Empire Made Level 1

Instead of supplying a plugin which has to be reinstalled after every update, why isn't the fix written into the update itself?  I'm sure there are thousands of people out there experiencing these issues that weren't lucky enough to stumble across the link to the plugin...

• 31. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                                      Dsarchy Level 3

I have the same issue using a Wacom Intuos 3 on Mavericks, but not when running on a Windows 8 machine. I would be more inclined to point blame at OSX rather than adobe on this one. I would recommend raising topics on the mac os/wacoms forums as well.

• 32. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                                        JJMack Most Valuable Participant

In this case I agree it could well not be an Adobe Problem. Still Photoshop does have quite a few bugs Adobe has acknowledged as bugs that Adobe does not care to fix Adobe just write they may fix these in the future. Will that future ever come or will Adobe's demise come first. Time will tell however I suspect my demise will precede either.

• 33. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                                          Level 7

The plugin was written to work around MacOS bugs - that are being fixed by Apple (one was already fixed in MacOS 10.9.3).

• 34. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                                            v.pedulla

I updated the drive - didnt seem to fix the issue.  By accident I found if i touch the pad then drag the tip into position the lasso works perfectly and doesn't close until i reach the end!

• 35. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                                              CosmicCookie Level 1

I have a wacom tablet and am facing the same lasso problem

• 37. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                                                BradKaye

wow.  that's it.   THANK YOU.

reposting on other thread on the subject.   This issue should be listed as ANSWERED.

• 38. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                                                  Beaufemme

I use a PC and this is happening to me, as well, so the Mac OS fix isn't going to work for me.  Any other PC users experiencing this? I am using a Wacom tablet Intuos3 and have had to resort to using the pen tool for selections.  This started with the newest upgrade of CC2014.

• 39. Re: Polygon Lasso Tool Closes Selection at Random
                                                                                    Dsarchy Level 3

I'm using an Intuos3 @ home on windows8.1 without any problems. Windows 7/8/8.1(maybe even vista) all have a build in tablet/pen touch services which run in the background. They can cause conflicts with the wacom services.

Have you tried to manually stopping/disabling them from services.msc/msconfig.msc or by going to the control panel and turning off pen&touch?

Have you also updated your Wacom drivers?

1 2 Previous Next