3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 1:48 PM by anthonyjcox

Timecode Filter "splatter & artefacts"

anthonyjcox

I have applied the standard Timecode filter to my actual video clips (to the get the duration of the clip ie. Frames) and then to an Transparent Video layer stretched over my entire sequence (to give me total running duration ie. Master Frames).

Unbeknown to me I continually get "splatter or artefacts" appearing, which seems random and to occur no matter what settings I adjust within the filter. It affects TC in both the clip and Transparent Video ayer.

Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 11.11.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 11.14.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 5.20.27 PM.png

When I make an adjustment to a setting it goes back to normal display instantly, but as I begin to play my sequence it will start to flicker and the "splattering" will start to happen although it's not consistant. Even after rendering and exporting the sequence it will burn the "splatter" into the render preview or the exported file. It seems to be quite random too, affecting some clips and others not. It drops in an out on an adjustment layer also.

Sometimes it gets SO bad I can't even read the information.

Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 5.55.22 PM.png

There should be two frame counts in this image, one for "Frames" and one for "Master Frames" but the "Frames" has disappeared and the "master frames" is completely f***d....

What is causing this and how to do make it stop?

• 1. Re: Timecode Filter "splatter & artefacts"
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi anthony,

I tried to replicate that behavior but could not. Can we get some more info? FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 2. Re: Timecode Filter "splatter & artefacts"
            Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Hmm. I've done a fair amount of testing with multiple timecode effects applied, and I've never seen anything like this. In addition to the general info that the page Kevin linked to asks for, here's some more specific data that would help:

1. Do you have GPU acceleration enabled? If so, does the problem persist if you switch the Renderer to Software Only?
            2. I know you said this "occur[s] no matter what settings I adjust within the filter," but I have to ask specifically whether the second instance of Timecode filter that's set to SMPTE also goes bad.
            3. If any other affects are applied to the clips or to adjustment layers above them, does disabling them keep the timecode display from going bad?
            • 3. Re: Timecode Filter "splatter & artefacts"
              anthonyjcox Level 1

V7.2.0 (46)

Mac OS X 10.8.5

ProRes 422 (Proxy) 1080[p @ 25fps

BlackMagic Ultra studio Express connected

Problem occurs with previews, final output.

Hi Mark and Kevin, sorry for the late reply.

1. I do have GPU acceleration enabled. Problem does persist if I switch to the Renderer to Software Only.

2. The second instance of Timecode filter that's set to SMPTE does go bad.

3. There are no other affects applied to the clip or to adjustment layers/transparent video layers above them, nothing to disable.